The Student Room Group

Mopeds (125cc). Is this site legit?

So i've just completed my CBT on a provisional DL and was looking at purchasing my first moped soon. I've looked around at some of the local dealers and they quote me the absolute minimum of £1200 and around £2000 for models I particularly like the look of.

Just wondering, anyone know any good sites for new mopeds?

also, is this site legit?

http://www.mopeds.co.uk/

they quote £800 for a brand new 125! I'm very skeptical :redface:

cheers guys
Reply 1
I'd stay clear, They have quite bad reviews all over the place, They were even on BBC Watchdog which isn't a great advertisement :wink: I know it might seem like a good deal but at the end of the day they're basically no-brand mopeds that are probably cheap and tacky and if the bad press is anything to go by will break, You'd be better off buying a reputable brand / model even if it means paying a little bit extra.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Stevo112
So i've just completed my CBT on a provisional DL and was looking at purchasing my first moped soon. I've looked around at some of the local dealers and they quote me the absolute minimum of £1200 and around £2000 for models I particularly like the look of.

cheers guys

That site is so cheap because the mopeds they sell are all Chinese rubbish.

Also, they don't actually sell you the complete scooter, you get a box delivered to you which contains your scooter in bits, you have to build it yourself, and lets be honest, would you really trust a vehicle that you had assembled?

Stay away from them and if you want to buy a scooter then make sure it is a reputable manufacturer. Best bet is to look around dealerships in your city to see what they have second hand or look on sites like http://motorcyclenews.com & http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes to see what they have for sale, both from private sellers & dealerships.

*EDIT* Also, if you buy a cheap scooter from a crappy manufacturer now for £800 then when you want to sell it in a year or so you will get absolutely nothing for it. If you spent £2000 on a scooter from a reputable manufacturer then when the time comes to sell you'll get very close to what you paid for it.
It may be more money now but it will lose you far less money when you sell it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Cheers guys. I just read their t+c's and found this;

12.6. OTHER THAN AS SET OUT IN CLAUSE 11, WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IN RELATION TO THE WEBSITE OR THE GOODS AND ALL TERMS, CONDITIONS OR WARRANTIES IMPLIED BY STATUTORY OR COMMON LAW RELATING TO THE WEBSITE OR THE GOODS ARE EXCLUDED FROM THE AGREEMENT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. IN ADDITION, WE DO NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT THE INFORMATION ACCESSIBLE VIA THE WEBSITE IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE OR CURRENT.

sounds a bit.... misleading :rolleyes: From what I make it out, basically you buy what you think is a complete moped and you get a box with parts in it. Then this clause prevents you from complaining because after all, the website isn't accurate :p:

Cheers guys, i'll look at those websites!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
It's chinese. Chinese are very new to the bike market compared to the Japs, Italians, ect...

You get what you pay for. You'll get a brand new bike that will rust like hell in under a year. When something goes wrong you'll find it harder to find parts to fix it. The power output will be much lower than that of it's 'Jap' counterparts. In around a year when you come to sell it, it will probably sell for less than half what you paid for it (that's if its still running...).
Original post by Stevo112

cheers guys

avoid like the plauge.

watchdog did an investigation into them, came up very bad.
bike brake really eaisly, you have to assemble it yourself, parts are impossible to get...
Omg chinese stay away, seriously stay away. It will fall apart like a stack of cards.

I would personally get a nice gilera sc 125cc :smile:. Pretty nice machine not a moped though, geared motorcycle.

Back to the main topic stay away from chinese bikes. You will buy one, next 5 months the company won't exist and it will be almost impossible to find parts. No mechanic would touch it.

I would seriously consider the following brands for a scooter/moped yamaha, gilera, vespa,
Omg chinese stay away, seriously stay away. It will fall apart like a stack of cards.

I would personally get a nice gilera sc 125cc :smile:. Pretty nice machine not a moped though, geared motorcycle.

Back to the main topic stay away from chinese bikes. You will buy one, next 5 months the company won't exist and it will be almost impossible to find parts. No mechanic would touch it.

I would seriously consider the following brands for a scooter/moped yamaha, gilera, vespa,
Reply 8
Original post by 2_plus_X_equal_me

ended up getting an Aprillia SR 125 motard for ~ 2k + some freebies.

It was either that or a sinnis matrix 2 for £1300 :redface:

cheers anyways!
Reply 9
I had a chinese moped once. Got it off ebay for around £550.
It was called a longjia madness 125... It was a good bike, but the battery compartment let water in and the battery would end up submerged everytime it rained which led to starting issues and of course the destruction of the battery. Also, the cast allow that the exhaust was bolted to split and the exhaust came away from the bike. luckily I got it home before it came off completely. I welded on a new piece of metal from an old beam and repaired it. It never broke again for two years. I have the Yamaha YBR 125 2010 model in red and black now. I've had it 2 years now and it has been great. I've done about 5600 miles on it from brand new with no trouble but, recently after a journey to cambridge and back from london my engine light is on and the bike has no power when i pull the throttle and idles so low it cuts out!
Gonna take it in. has anyone experienced similar or have any advice?
Original post by LALUCIEN
I had a chinese moped once. Got it off ebay for around £550.
It was called a longjia madness 125... It was a good bike, but the battery compartment let water in and the battery would end up submerged everytime it rained which led to starting issues and of course the destruction of the battery. Also, the cast allow that the exhaust was bolted to split and the exhaust came away from the bike. luckily I got it home before it came off completely. I welded on a new piece of metal from an old beam and repaired it. It never broke again for two years. I have the Yamaha YBR 125 2010 model in red and black now. I've had it 2 years now and it has been great. I've done about 5600 miles on it from brand new with no trouble but, recently after a journey to cambridge and back from london my engine light is on and the bike has no power when i pull the throttle and idles so low it cuts out!
Gonna take it in. has anyone experienced similar or have any advice?

Is there any oil in the bike, don't ride it until you've checked there is

Quick Reply

Latest