The Student Room Group

Cyclists Society

Welcome to the newly improved Cycling Society.

To save a constant barrage of "what bike shall I buy?" posts, this post is intended to help guide you in the right direction initially before asking for more specific help if you need it.

--- Bikes on a Budget ----------------------------------

I'll start with the obvious places to look if you've got a tight budget. (Note: these are sites that I would use, if you know of any other sites, let me know and I'll add them!)

For second hand bikes:

eBay

Gumtree
Craigslist
Freecycle

New bikes:

Decathlon

Halfords
Evans Cycles
Wiggle
Chain Reaction Cycles
Ribble Cycles
Merlin Cycles

--- General Cycling Information ----------------------

Planning and Logging Your Routes

Transportdirect.info

Ride With GPS
Mapometer
220 Triathlon
Runkeeper
Strava
Cyclestreets

Getting to Know The Equipment

Shoes, Pedals & Cleats [Written by v2p]

Maintenance

MadeGood
Sheldonbrown.com
Tuning Brakes and Gears [Youtube]

Bike Fits

How to Fit a Road Bike
Quick Fix Guide for Injuries and Possible Bike Adjustments

Insurance

Ilovemybike.co.uk
Cycleguard

Other Stuff

British Cycling memberships
LCC memberships
CTC memberships
Highway Code for Cyclists

The Rules by Velominati
The Official Rules of the Euro Cyclist

--- Join the Society ------------------------------------

Click here to join the Cyclists Society!
We now have a Strava group! Join to connect with other cyclists from TSR.
----------------------------------------------------------

[This is very much a work in progress and welcome any and all suggestions to improve the information here.]

--- Anatomy of a Bike ----------------------------------

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I totally think it's worthy of a society. I love cycling just for commuting, it's great fun. I've started trying to use it to get fitter too.

Also, my summer project is to build a recumbent bike, so we'll see how that goes.

I'd like to know more about cycling from other people too, it's a good reason to start a society.

My regular bike is a marin kentfield from a couple of years ago. Bought it after my kiddy moutain bike got stolen.
Well I have no idea how to start a society, but i'll give it a go!

Parked my bike in the new Trinity Square car park today.. they have loooads of brand new bike lockers and best of all, its free!
Reply 3
I'm up for it :biggrin:

Surely we'd have to seperate it into roadies and mountaineer types? Otherwise things could get... unpleasant.
Reply 4
Don't start it just yet btw SD, you need to show plenty of support for a soc.
Reply 5
I'd join, I think I may look at getting a new bike. My mountain bike is to heavy for general comute
I'm in. I've got a mountain bike that's very old, I'm thinking of getting a roadie. I cycle a fair bit. Count me in.
I would join, I love my bike even though it's 36 years old. It's not good for much other than pavement riding, but still :p: It managed 15 miles in a day, just... with a breakage :p:
Yep I am all for a cycling society!
awesome. yeah if we have a group interested i'll get on to making it.. :biggrin:

Ducki.. what about people like me who use a mountain bike on the road.. :ninja:
I hate cyclists.
Speedbird2008
I hate cyclists.

Well then don't be in the society! Honestly :p:
Sounds like fun.
Yes-yes-yes!

I'd certainly be interested in a society. I cycle almost every day because I get bored walking, and it's nice to get some exercise that takes you quickly away from the people who would otherwise snigger at your attempts at being active :biggrin:

Could I suggest we use the first post as a reference point for relevant posts giving advice on specific questions - i.e. have specific categories, and links to good posts?
Reply 13
SoundDevastation
awesome. yeah if we have a group interested i'll get on to making it.. :biggrin:

Ducki.. what about people like me who use a mountain bike on the road.. :ninja:

Then you are a sinner and deserve to be shot :viking:

Nah, we all had to start somewhere, I spose you could come into the roadie bit :p:
Ducki
Then you are a sinner and deserve to be shot :viking:

Nah, we all had to start somewhere, I spose you could come into the roadie bit :p:

Shoot me now then but I am thinking of changing it
Reply 15
There shall be no room for any lycra-arsed roadies in the club though. :p:
ImperceptibleNinja
Yes-yes-yes!

I'd certainly be interested in a society. I cycle almost every day because I get bored walking, and it's nice to get some exercise that takes you quickly away from the people who would otherwise snigger at your attempts at being active :biggrin:

Could I suggest we use the first post as a reference point for relevant posts giving advice on specific questions - i.e. have specific categories, and links to good posts?

you mean from different threads or posts within the society thread? Either way, yes, good idea.
Reply 17
EKO
There shall be no room for any lycra-arsed roadies in the club though. :p:

Nuttin wrong with lycra... I'd wear merino if I could afford it :p:

Anyway, the world champs of downhill and XC wear lycra, so :qed:
Reply 18
I'm in. I think I'm possibly the only person in my year at school who's actually cycled to and from school, which is quite annoying. Bus-babies!

Sadly I've got a dated mountain bike - brakes work fine, but it's only got 3 gears (the other 5 combinations that would make 15 gears is broken)
Reply 19
I'm in, I need some motivation to cycle more!

Latest