The Student Room Group

Why does it feel like I'm getting fatter?

Hello fitness gurus! This is the first time I post here but I've been lurking for a while and got quite a few useful tips. :smile:

Anyway, I started going to the gym about 7 weeks ago & I go to classes led by an instructor because that way my ego keeps me from slacking with the exercises or walking away when it gets too difficult. :p: I go like 4 times a week and the classes are 1 hour each with quite high intensity. I do things like spinning, step and aerobics to keep myself from getting bored. After that I spend around 20 min or more in the sauna (I don't know if it burns anything but it feels good!).

I know I should probably aim to go 5-6 times a week but I really don't have the time to and I figured that 3-4 is still much better than 0 and is bound to do some good, right? I also eat quite healthy with the only exception of ice cream 2-3 times a week but it's all within reason.

Ok now the problem. I know that losing weight takes time but why on earth are my jeans tighter than they were 2 months ago? :frown: I definitely don't eat more than before and I definitely AM doing more... so why? Leave the fact that the scale hasn't changed at all. On the other hand I actually feel much better physically and that really doesn't add up with the fact that I haven't lost anything and judging by some pieces of clothing, I'm actually bigger?!:s-smilie: Is this supposed to be normal?

I won't stop exercising, if anything it makes me feel better but I started because I really want to lose weight.. Oh and I'm about 30pounds away from my absolutely perfect weight but I am aiming to lose 20 before worrying about the "perfect" part.

Any advice or answer to the mystery is highly appreciated!
Reply 1
Same! I feel fatter (at times) even though I've lost 2 stone. I'm fine with the upper half of my body but I want to get rid of my love handles which apparently take a while. Didn't take long for me to drop a cupsize though...
Reply 2
Try searching this "Chunky Fat Aerobics Instructor Syndrome". It may explain it for you.
it could be something to do with what you're eating (healthy or not) that's making you feel sluggish or bloated, or your jeans might've shrunk! Haha, it's not a rareity
Reply 4
Steveo92
Try searching this "Chunky Fat Aerobics Instructor Syndrome". It may explain it for you.

I looked it up but it sounds like it's for people who overdo with cardio training and that's not the case with me.. besides the classes usually have like 15 min of things like push-ups, sit-ups and other exercises which engage the muscles.. :s-smilie:
Reply 5
Favole
I looked it up but it sounds like it's for people who overdo with cardio training and that's not the case with me.. besides the classes usually have like 15 min of things like push-ups, sit-ups and other exercises which engage the muscles.. :s-smilie:

Its aimed at people who do mainly only cardio, like your self, and only a very small amount of resistance/weight training.
Reply 6
Steveo92
Its aimed at people who do mainly only cardio, like your self, and only a very small amount of resistance/weight training.

Well that is highly depressing :frown: 7 weeks for nothing...
Reply 7
Your not eating correctly, if you've been hanging around this forum you'll have noticed a lot of people saying about BMR (your daily calorific needs), and also then mentioning the phrase 'cutting' which means you need to create a deficit in your diet. Post your stats i.e. height, weight, age. Also, for a typical day, post what you eat.

Your cardio is ok, HIIT will probably be the way forward for you as well as some proper resistance training.
Reply 8
Redefined
Your not eating correctly, if you've been hanging around this forum you'll have noticed a lot of people saying about BMR (your daily calorific needs), and also then mentioning the phrase 'cutting' which means you need to create a deficit in your diet. Post your stats i.e. height, weight, age. Also, for a typical day, post what you eat.

Your cardio is ok, HIIT will probably be the way forward for you as well as some proper resistance training.

I know about BMR but I thought I was doing well with food.. normally these are the kinds of things I eat:

Breakfast - some plain cereal with natural yoghurt and a glass of orange juice or green tea.. or both.
Snacks - 1-2 apples, peaches, a bowl of strawberries or any other fruit, it depends what's currently in the fridge.
Lunch- Usually either another bowl of cereal or a wholegrain sandwich, nothing too heavy or I will feel like puking during gym..
Dinner (usually post exercise) - tuna/chicken salad sometimes with a bit of pasta added to it. Or baked vegetables and chicken, soups or salmon with veg. Again, depends what we have but it's pretty much some of those things.

As for my stats, I'm 22, 5'4 and 155lbs.. my aim is to lose 20lbs and then ideally 10 more. What resistance training do you suggest? And does that mean that I should keep my cardio as it is or less of that and more of something else? Thanks for the help :smile:
It's probably all the fat. :smile:

Latest