The Student Room Group

Are IT apprenticeships worth it?

I've finished my A-levels and am looking at alternatives to uni. I've looked at a few apprenticeships lasting about 12 months where you get paid £120ish a week and get a few certificates along the way but is this the best way to get into IT without a degree? £100-£120 a week is pennies compared to a full-time job - are the certificates and "no experience needed" entry worth the drop in money?

Are entry level jobs available to me without these sorts of things? I have a Maths A-level if that helps.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1
Depends on what particular area you want a career in.
Yes. At times in the IT industry having experience can be more vital than qualifications. It's perfectly fine having those qualifications but if you can't relate it too real scenario's it's useless. It looks great on my CV now when I say.

- I've worked with Active Directory and Group Policy, each with over 500 computers and 1000 students.
Reply 3
if you have a uni place i would go imo. ive heard very bad reviews with regards to these IT apprenticeships. having also been on one(zenos) i have to agree with them. i left in the second week. it was more about health and safety. at the end of the day they want funding from the government............ same for the other ones (nitp and QA) i assusme you have been accepted onto the QA one............

For some reason they state that they want people with gcses but when i started half the class never had any qualifications what so ever..........

with uni u will be able to get a work placement, possibly in the second year
The only IT apprenticeship I can recommend is the one now offered by Capgemini, its probably the only real decent apprenticeship that is offered by a big IT company. Only just heared about it via BCS but looks like they train you in software engineering. The article on the BCS states the scheme combines working for Capgemini and part time degree study and after the program you should gain a job within Capgemini as well as alot of experience, certifications and no debt.

The link for the scheme is www.uk.capgemini.com/capgemini-careers/overview
Reply 5
Original post by welshwaynejack
The only IT apprenticeship I can recommend is the one now offered by Capgemini, its probably the only real decent apprenticeship that is offered by a big IT company. Only just heared about it via BCS but looks like they train you in software engineering. The article on the BCS states the scheme combines working for Capgemini and part time degree study and after the program you should gain a job within Capgemini as well as alot of experience, certifications and no debt.

The link for the scheme is www.uk.capgemini.com/capgemini-careers/overview

They have been recuriting for a while now. I agree that this is the best one out there.
Reply 6
I think you should look at internships! There is no point in doing a degree these days. I just graduated and doing internship right now. So I think I have just wasted 3 years- because it is really hard to get well paid jobs even with a degree.
jollyton :biggrin:
Original post by coconutters
I've finished my A-levels and am looking at alternatives to uni. I've looked at a few apprenticeships lasting about 12 months where you get paid £120ish a week and get a few certificates along the way but is this the best way to get into IT without a degree? £100-£120 a week is pennies compared to a full-time job - are the certificates and "no experience needed" entry worth the drop in money?

Are entry level jobs available to me without these sorts of things? I have a Maths A-level if that helps.

In my eyes they are worth it. Why? Because there is a certain need for people qualified in IT. I do believe it's increasing too.

The best way to get into the IT field I would say is to complete the apprentaship. Some (if not most) give you some on-the-job training for a bit. the Zenos IT academy also find you employment.

You won't immediately jump into the big money anyway and the majority of people start in support centres just to get a bit of experience which is valuable. While you're doing this go for some extra certificates. The most creditable and recognised are Cisco, CompTIA & Microsoft.

It's all or nothing in IT really as you'll be going into the field with people who already have a lot more skill and experience than you. However, it's definitely possible to go far. Just find a goal and head for it. It depends a lot on what you want to do though.

Conclusion? A degree is valued all over, however, I've read that a portfolio made up of smaller qualifications could also benefit you. You will almost always start in at the bottom to get that experience and it's all or nothing to get far in IT. However, if you put in the work you WILL get far. It's your call really.

This is all based on opinion. People will say other wise. None of this is fact. :smile:

One other thing: it costs quite a bit to take your exams in IT if you have to pay for them. How much? £1,000+. I think failing to pass means you have to pay the full amount again too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I'm very curious about this too. I've already graduated in Philosophy but I want to get into IT and I'm starting to think an apprenticeship might be the way to go - is it harder to get in as a graduate because they prioritise school leavers?

Not trying to hijack your thread, sorry.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending