How did you get to do so many summer schools? :confused:

Are you hoping to apply to Cambridge? :smile:

My school organised most of them :biggrin:

Yes you already asked me this a couple of pages ago :P
Original post by LaydurrDude
Hiya, what subject/uni did you do? :smile:

I went to University of Bristol and did the Social Sciences stream :biggrin:
Reply 62
I went on the Sutton Trust Summer School last year and like everyone else, I have to say it was just amazing.

I went to Bristol for Engineering. I can't vouch for the other unis, but Bristol was AWESOME. We were all put in one halls of residence and ate breakfast, lunch, dinner together. During the day you would break up into your subject groups and do activities related to that. Then there were loads of fun activities like karaoke, bowling, games, put on during the evenings, and on the last two days we had parties, one informal in the bar at our halls of residence, another more formal one in a fancy hall where we had a meal first). All the students, and staff, helping out were so fun and friendly, it was a really nice experience.

I'm actually a physics applicant myself, and was torn between applying to a summer school that did physics, or one that did engineering. In case there are any other people out there in a similar position that I was in last year, I would definitely recommend try engineering. If you're fairly set on applying for physics anyway, there's some experience to be had doing a physics summer school and it is worthwhile. But on the other hand, you will also never get to experience engineering, and you might have liked it. Going to a summer school isn't going to be the make-or-break decider whether you get into uni, in fact I never even mentioned it on my personal statement, and so I applied for an engineering summer school, so that I could at least experience engineering and see what its like, and then see if I still wanted to apply for physics at uni.

The engineering stream at Bristol was sort of known by the staff/students as being the best stream (debatable, but still :tongue: ) because we had the most fun activities. We got to build electric cars, use the aero tunnel thing and test our sculpted streamlined vehicles, build earthquake-proof buildings and test it on a real earthquake tester thing that shakes, crack loads of glass in experiments, met some really cool guest speakers, and a did few other things that I can't remember at the moment.

The best part was that there was also another summer school programme called HeadStart, but you had to pay for this one as there was no set criteria when applying. HeadStart were running an engineering summer school at Bristol as well, which ran at exactly the same time as ours. None of the other HeadStart summer schools at Bristol were the same subjects as/connected to the Sutton Trust Summer Schools. It was really fun because all of our activities that we did, were competitions, such as racing our electric cars, which building would survive the highest magnitude earthquake, etc, and we would be competing against the HeadStart people. Each night at dinner or something, the head guy who organises the Bristol Sutton Trust, called Doug (who is the most AMAZING guy you will meet, he was so cool) would announce to everyone else on the Sutton Trust that we had competed against the HeadStart engineers, and had won the competition for that day. It actually ended up that we the Sutton Trust engineers won all the competitions throughout the week.
Reply 63
Original post by TheBlackMonster
I went to University of Bristol and did the Social Sciences stream :biggrin:

Sounds interesting. What did you think of it all? :smile:

Original post by Natalie21
My school organised most of them :biggrin:

Yes you already asked me this a couple of pages ago :P

Lucky! My school only has some thing before summer where 3 people go to a 3 day summer school thing at Corpus. That's about the extent of it...

Really? I can't keep up with all replies. Apologies :tongue:

Lucky! My school only has some thing before summer where 3 people go to a 3 day summer school thing at Corpus. That's about the extent of it...

Really? I can't keep up with all replies. Apologies :tongue:

Can't you tell from my signature :P
Reply 65
Can't you tell from my signature :P

I'm still new to all this so could you give me a heads up on what a signature is, how to view it and how to get one? :tongue:
I'm still new to all this so could you give me a heads up on what a signature is, how to view it and how to get one? :tongue:

Look at my post 2 posts up - see the thing that tells you what subjects I'm taking.
Reply 67
Look at my post 2 posts up - see the thing that tells you what subjects I'm taking.

This will sound stupid but i dont see anything? Help! :frown:
This will sound stupid but i dont see anything? Help! :frown:

Sorry I meant the one at the top of the page.
Reply 69
Sorry I meant the one at the top of the page.

Oh, i see it now. Thanks!

Ps. How do you get your own signature? :redface:
Sounds interesting. What did you think of it all? :smile:

definitely worth it, made some great friends that I still keep in contact two years on, taught me how to approach university and how to make friends, be more social, how lectures will be like, etc

i'm in university now and I still think it's one of the best things I chose to do in my life
I'm 100% sure i want to apply now with all the positive views! :biggrin: What did you end up applying for, for Sept 2012? :smile:

French :smile: Which is a world away from vet med lol!

Another advantage of the summer school; if you end up going to that uni, you'll get a £1000 per year bursary :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kaylaleigh
Another advantage of the summer school; if you end up going to that uni, you'll get a £1000 per year bursary :smile:

Where does it say that?

Oh, i see it now. Thanks!

Ps. How do you get your own signature? :redface:

Click on settings next to your name at the top right of the TSR screen.
Then click on settings on the bar across the middle of the page which starts with "explore TSR"in a box. Click on the settings tab on that row then click edit my signature :smile:
Reply 73
Hello :smile:

Wondering if there's anyone who could help me? I would love to apply for Sutton Trust (English at Cambridge) but I really think I have zero chance of getting in, and I really don't want to bug my school with asking (it seems horribly presumptuous and irritating) unless there is a slither of a possibility?

So if someone could give me their honest opinion on whether I'd even be considered I'd be very grateful :smile:

My mother did not go to University, but my father did (I live with Mum and see Dad about annually).
I meet the GCSE grades and A level subjects critera (see my sig for details :colondollar:)
I attend a comprehensive, but it is judged outstanding and I think the average A level point score is 837 compared to the national 720.
We're a low-income family, but I don't think that's taken into account, is it?

I don't really think it's worth me applying - am I right? :redface:
Reply 74
My school isn't on the list when I try to apply :frown:
Original post by Kalliope

Wondering if there's anyone who could help me? I would love to apply for Sutton Trust (English at Cambridge) but I really think I have zero chance of getting in, and I really don't want to bug my school with asking (it seems horribly presumptuous and irritating) unless there is a slither of a possibility?

So if someone could give me their honest opinion on whether I'd even be considered I'd be very grateful :smile:

My mother did not go to University, but my father did (I live with Mum and see Dad about annually).
I meet the GCSE grades and A level subjects critera (see my sig for details :colondollar:)
I attend a comprehensive, but it is judged outstanding and I think the average A level point score is 837 compared to the national 720.

Just apply anyway - all your school has to do is check what you've said is correct and sign the online form :smile:
Reply 76

Just do it. You've got nothing to lose by trying :yep:
Reply 77
Original post by ElMoro
Just do it. You've got nothing to lose by trying :yep:

Just apply anyway - all your school has to do is check what you've said is correct and sign the online form :smile:

In that case I think I will :smile: Have you both applied already? I'll go and speak to my teachers about it on Monday.
In that case I think I will :smile: Have you both applied already? I'll go and speak to my teachers about it on Monday.

Yep :biggrin:
Reply 79
I've applied to do International Relations/Modern Languages at St Andrews,

doubt I'll get in as my mother has a degree (which she attained from a college just few years ago so can't really tell me about the whole uni experience but the form only asks if they have a degree or above), my school is average, Im not eligible for EMA, and my grades are average,

But worth a try, theres nothing to lose

Quick Reply