The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Depression Society MKVI

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 35mm_
I called them earlier and they said they couldn't really speak to me because i'm not listed as being under their care. For **** sake, i'm struggling so much and there's near enough no support.

Could you try calling out of hours GP and see if they can refer you?
bugs everywhere, in my hair, on my skin.
Original post by 35mm_
bugs everywhere, in my hair, on my skin.

Is there anywhere you can go where you feel safe? Like bed, lie naked and feel the sheets on your skin instead. Really wrap yourself up tightly so that it's all you can feel. Seeing as a shower hasn't helped you.

I'm inclined to agree with Idle though, going to a&e might be a good idea.
Original post by 35mm_
How'd you manage to get into a crisis house?

It varies between each one. If you live in London gimme a PM and I can explain about the different ones. For the one I've been to you can self-refer or be referred by the crisis team.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Talk to him. Just sit with him and watch **** TV and talk about crap. Seriously, just keep him company and ask him to talk, tell him there is hope and you are there to help him through this. Say you think it might be a good idea for him to talk to someone who can understand and advise better, give him the samaritans number. If he's still feeling bad tell him to go to A&E and go with him. Just show him that you are there for him. Do whatever it is that would help you in that situation.

Original post by rmhumphries

Spoiler

:hugs: to both of you, thank you for your advice. I think he's alright now, gone back to his not-so-nice self but at least he's not planning anything, which is a relief. I think other family talking to him would make more of a difference than me, and it seems to be working. But thank you both. How are you doing? :smile:
It varies between each one. If you live in London gimme a PM and I can explain about the different ones. For the one I've been to you can self-refer or be referred by the crisis team.

I'm in Birmingham but thank you anyway.
Original post by angelbones

Spoiler

Just got my nipple pierced, YAY! Turning self-mutilation urges into body-mod, YAY!

How is everyone today? :smile:

Spoiler

I am not too bad thanks, IRL fairly irritable/restless and bad company currently though ><

Original post by ParadoxSocks
All my friends at boys so they'd probably take my eyeballs out or something. Girlfriend is more useless than I am about eyebrows - hers are naturally pretty so she doesn't have to faff with shape and everything.

:five:
I'm having a super productive day too :biggrin:

Just had feedback from the group interview for the summer school job that I was rejected for.

Only thing that let me down was confidence. How do I even fix that? I thought I was doing really well and being super articulate. I just had the issue of being with somebody that was so loud nobody else could compete. I think it's knocked me back a little.

You can be quietly confident, but it takes practice, and having a loud-mouth in your group doesn't help. If another group setting comes up, can practice with dep soc.
(edited 12 years ago)

Spoiler

I am not too bad thanks, IRL fairly irritable/restless and bad company currently though ><

Spoiler

Awwh. :smile:
Trying to work up the energy to go out for a flatmate's birthday (THEY JUST KEEP HAVING BIRTHDAYS!!).
Reply 2988
There is dependent on where you live. Try looking up local crisis houses, they've been a god send for me and have allowed me to avoid hospital :smile:

I don't think they'd let me go to one of those tbh.

Think I only got out of hospital by saying that if they went against my wishes I wouldn't go to them for help anymore, I'd just do it.

Feel a bit bad for blackmailing (of sorts) but I just want to see how I am tomorrow. If I'm the same or worse, then fair game, hospital is probably best. :frown:

I'll have to backtrack to my parents then, having had a "yeah I'm fine, just going to the pub so can't talk for long" conversation with them earlier on.

I've noticed that as soon as people start talking about hospital to me, I start shaking. Last time I went in every muscle in my body was spasming as they assessed me. Can I plead an allergic reaction to in-patient care? :beard:

Edit: diazepam just kicked in. Aaaaaaahh.
(edited 12 years ago)

Spoiler

Original post by ViceVersa
Oops, typo :teehee: I'm very tired today :tongue:

Aww, well I've learned a new word today! :tongue:
Original post by Anonymous
I can imagine quite a few people taking flasks, doubt you'll look weird.
If only! I've been thinking about all the 'bad' things I've ever done today, no doubt I'll punish myself for it later.
Good stuff! :jumphug:

Thanks, we're leaving for the hospital in a few minutes.

Spoiler

Might make it an everyday thing then if it doesn't leak tomorrow. :tongue:
Ah I get that sometimes, hope you don't torture yourself too much. :hugs:
Reading has slowed up a bit. :colondollar:
Guilt feelings are creeping in, although I did finally clean out my hamsters cage.

Hope he was well!

Spoiler

Aww, well I've learned a new word today! :tongue:

As have I :yep:

Might make it an everyday thing then if it doesn't leak tomorrow. :tongue:
Ah I get that sometimes, hope you don't torture yourself too much. :hugs:
Reading has slowed up a bit. :colondollar:
Guilt feelings are creeping in, although I did finally clean out my hamsters cage.

Hope he was well!

Spoiler

I didn't know you had a hamster, what's he/she called? :smile:
Don't feel guilty, it's not your fault :hugs:

His scan was clear so he's fine to come out tomorrow! :biggrin:

Spoiler

If I went to my doctor and said the CBT isn't working and I feel much, much worse than last time, would he suggest anti-depressants as an option if I wanted to see if they could work for me? Or is it more complicated than that?
Original post by angelbones

Spoiler

Awwh. :smile:
Trying to work up the energy to go out for a flatmate's birthday (THEY JUST KEEP HAVING BIRTHDAYS!!).

Spoiler

Hmm, hope you have a reasonable time at least (Preferably come back and say you had a great time). At least you have to have a finite number of flatmates, so they must all have had their birthday soon :hugs:

Original post by FuzzySheep
:hugs: to both of you, thank you for your advice. I think he's alright now, gone back to his not-so-nice self but at least he's not planning anything, which is a relief. I think other family talking to him would make more of a difference than me, and it seems to be working. But thank you both. How are you doing? :smile:

:hugs: Not great, but meh, not important :tongue:

Spoiler

If I went to my doctor and said the CBT isn't working and I feel much, much worse than last time, would he suggest anti-depressants as an option if I wanted to see if they could work for me? Or is it more complicated than that?

My doctor is lovely, and will pretty much give me any drug I ask for that he can - but he has seen me for about 2 years now. I find some doctors are much more drug happy than others, but most will consider it if you want to try them.

Spoiler

x

If you'd like to talk about it, please go ahead :hugs: But I hope that things improve for you really soon. I'm always more than happy to listen.

I think I may go and see, at the very least, if he'll consider it. He did mention them the last time I went but said I should go ahead with CBT. I will make the appointment, anything has to be better than just muddling along!

Spoiler

Thank you so much for all your help, I'm really very grateful. As I say, am always happy to listen :smile:
Reply 2996
i'm staying at my mums house for the week and i've no idea how to tell her whats been going on, as far as shes aware i'm completely fine, been going to college, happy and being able to support myself. But my rent is due on friday, i have £80 and my rent is £225. I dont want to ask my mum for my money because i'm trying to prove I can look after myself, it was my decision but I've just gotten so messed up this past month and I can't get out of it but I don't know what to say. Everytime she's asked me how i'm getting on, i've just wanted to break down and cry :frown:
Just want to sack it all in tonight. What's the point?
If you'd like to talk about it, please go ahead :hugs: But I hope that things improve for you really soon. I'm always more than happy to listen.

I think I may go and see, at the very least, if he'll consider it. He did mention them the last time I went but said I should go ahead with CBT. I will make the appointment, anything has to be better than just muddling along!

Spoiler

Thank you so much for all your help, I'm really very grateful. As I say, am always happy to listen :smile:

Meh. The problem is that a little while ago, I was either numb or down most of the time, now that has gone away, but I am properly grumpy. Aka irritable or restless nearly all the time, which is not conductive to helping the friend I am staying with (and I know I am upsetting her at times :frown: ) Thanks for listening :hugs:

It is certainly worth seeing. I think the best thing for most people with depression is drugs with therapy at the same time, as the drugs can help keep you stable, and the therapy can fix the problems so you don't need the drugs in the future. But we all have our own opinions, but if you want to try drugs, certainly push for it.

Spoiler

Meh. The problem is that a little while ago, I was either numb or down most of the time, now that has gone away, but I am properly grumpy. Aka irritable or restless nearly all the time, which is not conductive to helping the friend I am staying with (and I know I am upsetting her at times :frown: ) Thanks for listening :hugs:

It is certainly worth seeing. I think the best thing for most people with depression is drugs with therapy at the same time, as the drugs can help keep you stable, and the therapy can fix the problems so you don't need the drugs in the future. But we all have our own opinions, but if you want to try drugs, certainly push for it.

Spoiler

Maybe use your restlessness as energy to do something practical that might help you cope with feeling irritable? Something active like a walk or a run (apparently smashing plates works according to the BBC :tongue:) could help release some of the tension, and exercise is good for the happy chemicals etc. Even just writing things down could help you clarify how you're feeling. I know how it sometimes is a bit like a vicious circle, so I know how frustrating it must be. Maybe having a chat with your friend about how you're feeling as well, so she knows what's going on and can be a friendly ear if you need it. In the meantime, do things to make you happy and give yourself a bit of a break wherever you can, and hopefully it'll help improve your mood. :hugs: I hope it passes soon enough. Sorry for the ramble!

I agree with you, working in conjunction seems the best option. I know for me at least that talking therapy doesn't really work much as I just feel like I'm whinging a lot of the time, and it serves to make me feel guilty most of the time. But using both does sound the better option, especially for the long run like you say. Fingers crossed :smile:

That's a good idea, I might do that tonight if needed - better to do something practical and distracting rather than mulling over things constantly. :smile:

Latest