The Student Room Group

Queen Mary's or UEA for English literature?

I've recently been rejected by UCL after interview :-/ and so have turned my attention to these two.

The course looks good on both and I really can't decide. I live pretty near QM so it's unlikely I'll get accommodation, even though I'd like to move away, but I have a lot of stuff which means I would like to be close to home so it's a really tough decision.

Some advice would be really appreciated!

I'm mainly interested in getting a really respectable degree to go into journalism, whilst also having a great time!

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by JEFFERSON
I've recently been rejected by UCL after interview :-/ and so have turned my attention to these two.

The course looks good on both and I really can't decide. I live pretty near QM so it's unlikely I'll get accommodation, even though I'd like to move away, but I have a lot of stuff which means I would like to be close to home so it's a really tough decision.

Some advice would be really appreciated!

I'm mainly interested in getting a really respectable degree to go into journalism, whilst also having a great time!

Thanks!

Well if you want to move away UEA is a pretty good choice- its only 1hr 50mins on the train from Liverpool Street and train tickets aren't that expensive when booked in advance so you can get home fairly easily if you need to. Norwich is probally the cheapest city in the South, the accomodation is reasonably priced and its very safe

Have you visited both campuses? That might help you get a feel for them.

You definitley wont get halls at QMUL if you live within the M25.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
Well if you want to move away UEA is a pretty good choice- its only 1hr 50mins on the train from Liverpool Street and train tickets aren't that expensive when booked in advance so you can get home fairly easily if you need to. Norwich is probally the cheapest city in the South, the accomodation is reasonably priced and its very safe

I have visited both, I like them both to be honest. It's a really hard choice :-/
Reply 3
I have visited both, I like them both to be honest. It's a really hard choice :-/

Hi I'm really sorry to be annoying but I'm thinking of applying to qmul next year but not sure if I've got a chance. Could you tell me what your predicted grades and subjects are? Thanks so much :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by darwinwant
Hi I'm really sorry to be annoying but I'm thinking of applying to qmul next year but not sure if I've got a chance. Could you tell me what your predicted grades and subjects are? Thanks so much :smile:

I'm in QM now, my predicted was A*A*A and I got that but there's plenty of people on the course who have less!
Original post by jelly1000

I applied to study English and Drama at UEA - but instead they have given me an offer for their English course. Personally it doesn't make much sense, my PS was heavily drama based.. I was wondering if they do this on a regular basis!? It feels a bit strange to get an offer from a course I didn't apply for.
Reply 6
Original post by isobelsylviaann
I applied to study English and Drama at UEA - but instead they have given me an offer for their English course. Personally it doesn't make much sense, my PS was heavily drama based.. I was wondering if they do this on a regular basis!? It feels a bit strange to get an offer from a course I didn't apply for.

I know some universities give offers for a similar course if they don't feel the application was quite good enough for the original course applied to but I don't see why they would change it to a popular course such as English. Give admissions an email and see.
Reply 7
I'm in QM now, my predicted was A*A*A and I got that but there's plenty of people on the course who have less!

thanks for replying :smile: was there anyone with AAA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending