The Student Room Group

19 and never drunk alcohol - don't know what to drink...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
When I first started drinking I drank archers and lemonade, it's really sweet so doesn't even taste like alcohol. Try something like that or vodka/malibu/disaronno/rum with coke/lemonade/juice.
Well you're about 5 years behind the rest of your age group. So you could start where everybody else did, on their hands and knees after too much vodka lying in their own vomit. But this could be embarrassing as everyone our age should be over this. Or you could just start with beer, it's not strong, and it's pretty social. Just eat before hand and don't over do it.
i'd start with alcopops such as WKD, smirnoff ice, VKs etc, or if you'd feel too 'childish' try largers or ciders - koppaberg and brothers do some nice flavoured ciders. my go-to drink is white rum and coke, i think it tastes nicer that coke on its own! so you could try that also. :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by makingamemory
of vodka? O.O a normal ruler is 12 inches if that helps :tongue:

i'm rubbish at measurements...i think i meant mm's haha
There is nothing wrong with drinking, so long as you are sensible about it. OP: I was a bit like you when I was younger - I was very anti alcohol and hated the stuff. However as time went on I began to appreciate a nice cold cider on a warm summers day with my friends. Bliss.

As someone has already said - go out with some friends who you can trust. Make sure they know that you are not too sure of your limits. Make sure you will be able to get home/somewhere safe etc etc. I would recommend a pub rather than a club.

It is up to you whether you want to try beers/ciders/spirits. I would advise against mixing though - if you start on cider, don't switch to beers. Beware alcopops - they are sweet which masks the alcohol and can result in you drinking faster etc.
Reply 45
Just have spirits and a mixer
Cider's definitely a good place to start in my opinion - it's quite sweet depending on the flavour and low in alcohol content compared to spirits.
Original post by inadilemma
My question is, what should I drink? I honestly feel like a little girl when I'm at a party - I'm so reserved and I get so nervous when it comes to drinking alcohol because I've never done it before... What would people suggest for a first drink? I didn't want to ask my friends because I was just too embarrassed.

A friend of mine made his first legal drink an amaretto coffee, so that's always a start :wink:

Personally I'd go with wine, which might sound a bit snobbish, but it has a flavour that's quite easy to get used to, unlike beers, which tend to take a while.

If you'd rather go with beer, try a weak lager, which are usually the best beers to start with. Most people find that it takes a while to progress onto bitters, but if you're feeling adventurous :P

As for spirits, I would avoid these to begin with. Cocktails can often hide the taste of the alcohol, making you forget quite how much you're having! I would say that drinking spirits neat would be a bit adventurous, to me a lot still taste like petrol!

Finally, please, please don't drink alcopops... Just don't. :tongue:

Edit: don't feel embarrassed about this! I know that's easier said than done, but you've probably actually chosen a better route. There's nothing worse than people who don't know when to stop with alcohol...
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm 19 too and I've hardly had a drop of alcohol to drink! It kind of sticks out like a stigma if most of the adults/teenagers in your social group drink, but hey you could just make up an excuse such as "I'm driving" or "I'm on medication" if it does embarrass you - I'm also a vegetarian and that makes me a bit unique as well as the drinking "predicament". (it's a better position to be in than that of an alcoholic - alcohol is expensive and addictive I presume!)
Reply 49
I rarely drink and don't go out much but if I do then I tend to have malibu and lemonade. It doesn't really taste alcholic. Some people have it with coke but I prefer lemonade. If I'm going to more a pub atmosphere then I have a kopperberg mixed fruit which is nice as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tabers
I rarely drink and don't go out much but if I do then I tend to have malibu and lemonade. It really taste alcholic. Some people have it with coke but I prefer lemonade. If I'm going to more a pub atmosphere then I have a kopperberg mixed fruit which is nice as well.

Malibu and lemonade is LOVELY, I don't drink much either and I usually choose between dark rum and cola, bacardi and cola, malibu and lemonade and if there is nothing else then stella apple cider. Jagerbombs taste good as well!
Original post by ziziii
nahh mate, got a girlfriend. :wink:
and i will continue to like Smirnoff ice, whether it's 'gay' or not. but thanks tough guy, and bye bye.

In fairness it is a bit gay
Reply 52
Well if I apply your logic, my best friends still a complete virgin...I've got to go congratulate her! :tongue:
Original post by inadilemma
So... I'm 19 and I've never drunk alcohol. I mean, I've had champagne and a bit of wine (neither of which I really care for) and I had some Pimms at a friend's house but I've never drunk 'proper' alcohol as it were... In fact... I know this is going to sound really lame... I've never been to a party before. Well, I went to one and it wasn't really that great so that doesn't count.

I went through this stage of being a little bit stuck-up and point blank refused to go to parties and drink alcohol because I thought it was stupid. I've never been clubbing either. I went to prom but I didn't drink even though I was 18 at the time.

So, here's the thing. Whenever someone asks me if I want a drink I don't know what to have... I've never tasted anything alcoholic before. I don't know what anything is like. So I just end up telling people I don't drink to avoid embarrassing myself because, let's face it, it's a little bit sad. I went to a party at someone's house yesterday and everyone was drinking, even those under 18. I didn't drink of course. But I'm also rather reserved in any case so I didn't really do much dancing. A friend pulled me up a couple of times to dance and I did it but people know I'm not hugely confident around people, even my friends and the people at the party were people I've only been friends with for a little while.

My question is, what should I drink? I honestly feel like a little girl when I'm at a party - I'm so reserved and I get so nervous when it comes to drinking alcohol because I've never done it before... What would people suggest for a first drink? I didn't want to ask my friends because I was just too embarrassed.

Becoming an expert in alcoholic beverages takes time and experience... I will come in time my child. You also have to try and remain sober long enough to know what you're guzzling down. Samubca shots are nice if you want something sweet. Try flaming them for extra pizazz!
Reply 53
Strong username to thread content ratio.
Vodka lemonade or vodka cranberry are usually what I go for, or a voka red bull as it kills the taste. Also alcopops like wkd, I drink the, if I can't really be bothered getting wasted on a night out or if I'm at a friend's party. Blue wkds taste like blue ice poles :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by wwelol
wat a stupid question
y do u want to drink for ?

u should be revising or doing somm\t useful

Firstly, I'm on a gap year so there is no revision to be done.

Secondly, there is nothing wrong with drinking. I would never go over the top with it and, in any case, what business is it of yours?
Reply 56
Original post by Dagnabbit
People usually find it easier to start with something sweeter like alcopops (WKD, Vodka Kick, Smirnoff Ice) or cider (Magner's, Bulmer's, Kopparberg etc.). If you are really sure you want to drink alcohol, then I would start with those and see which you prefer before trying other stuff.

There's nothing embarrassing about it, I didn't have any alcohol before I was 19 (now I'm 21). I remember trying a beer for the first time at an Indian restaurant on my 19th, it was a pint of Cobra, and I absolutely loved it. After that, I tried cider but it wasn't to my taste so I stuck with lager and bitter.

Hope that helped. Feel free to ask more questions.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
rofl at all the people suggesting WKD. Go back to nursery please.
Reply 58
Original post by wwelol
wat a stupid question
y do u want to drink for ?

u should be revising or doing somm\t useful

****ing hell mate you need to go back to year 2 english.

Try it if you're curious, I like a good old drink. You don't have to have alcohol when someone offers you a drink, you could stick to pop.

Have a beer, wine or cider. You're likely to be a lightweight judging by a mate of mine who was in a similar position, got drunk off 3 cans of cider, I didn't even know that was possible.
Don't drink spirits first. Too many people who start drinking late forget they don't have any tolerance and end up dangerously drunk. The girls you hang around with are probably drinking vodka, especially with coke or red bull and jaegerbombs, which are a shot of jaegermeister spirit dropped into a small glass of red bull. Don't be tempted to keep up basically. Vodka in particular is a dangerous spirit, don't go near it until you have a tolerance and know your limits. It has the unfortunate tendency of not making people feel progressively drunker, instead going straight from tipsy to wasted.

beers, ciders and alcopops are good to start with. Strawberry and lime flavour kopparberg and recorderlig is particularly nice. Aim for a percentage alcohol volume of below 10. This is written on the front of everything. As a general guide, the three groups above are all 5-7, wines go from 11ish-19ish, weak rums like Malibu are 21, and whiskey gin brandy port and expensive vodkas are all 40. Cheaper more readily available vodkas are 37.5. Spirits like absinthe and poitin are way above this but you won't hear of them much.

Quick Reply

Latest