The Student Room Group
University of York
York

University of York accommodation/college info and questions 2011/12

Scroll to see replies

Original post by metric
Can anyone help me with accommodation I really don't know where to start.

I'm doing Film & TV production next year (it's unconditional). I don't know whether to look at the accommodation on heslington east still or whether that's a bit out of everything being further away. I also want self catered and I think I want an en suite.

I don't want somewhere really quiet but I don't want somewhere with a 'party reputation' either anymore like derwent. Any ideas?

If your lectures are at Hes East it might be alright to live there, especially since next academic year there will be an extra 600 or so students living there because that's where New Langwith is being built.

I can't exactly say this is gospel, because it's a "I know someone who knows someone..." kinda thing, but I used to work with a lad who did some part-time work for an electricians who were contracted to the university, and apparently whats happening is that eventually ALL of the university will be based at Hes East, over the next twenty years or so.

Tbh this makes sense for a couple of reasons but doesn't for others.

It makes sense in that the university has some very old, decrepit buildings that shouldn't ever be inhabited, i.e. Old Langwith, and some other old buildings like Old Vanbrugh, Derwent, parts of James, which really need replacing. The standard of my accommodation is absolutely horrific: Windowsills thick with mould, single-pane windows, small room, inconsistent heating, a tiny kitchen with a table of four for sixteen residents...

However the university also has a lot of new buildings on the Hes West site so it would be silly to move. I do think, however that in the next few years Derwent will be rebuilt on Hes East and I imagine they'll knock down old Vanbrugh and put new buildings to replace it on Hes East. Also moving/draining the lake would be a massive arse on.

Anyways, if you want central to your course, live on Hes East, if you want more central to the university, Hes West. Bear in mind the proximity to shops and things too. Hes East is a bit out of the way unless you get the free bus.
University of York
York
Reply 1621
Is there bike storage at all the colleges like at Goodricke? Just incase I don't get into Goodricke!

Original post by ilickbatteries

I can't exactly say this is gospel, because it's a "I know someone who knows someone..." kinda thing, but I used to work with a lad who did some part-time work for an electricians who were contracted to the university

Was he also studying at the uni? Might be useful for PT work for myself if so :redface:
Reply 1622
Flat-out moving to Hes East?

Christ. That's a grim proposition. The place has all the soul of an airport departure lounge.
Hey, I'm a current student at York uni! I live in Goodricke and cant say how amazing it is!
There's so many positives about it i can't understand why you wouldnt want to live there...
First, because my lectures are on main campus i feel like when i go back to goodricke on hes east i get away from the academic side of uni life and go back to my personal social life at "home". Secondly, there's a lovely atmosphere in Goodricke, and the flats are all quite close so its very likely you'll get to know other flats very well, meaning your social network is massive!
Also there is an amazing bus service that starts and ends at hes east! The uni bus number 44 AND the number 4. So you can guarantee there will be a bus waiting at the bus stop if you want to go somewhere.
As for the security and maintence, they are sooo helpful! if you report any mantience issuses they will be sorted within the day or the next morning at the latest. and if you get locked out of your room there is ALWAYS someone on the porters desk to help and give you a transition card (even christmas day, and midnight, and 2 in the morning...
Oh and finally, it is a beautiful college! I have friends on my course living in colleges such as derwent and langwith, and when they came back to my flat/college they couldnt complement it enough and compared to their accommodation said Goodricke was like a showroom!
Honestly guys, Goodricke's the best by far (and they have an amazing freshers fortnight hahaa). GOODRICKE TILL I DIE! :smile:
I dont know about what accommodation to choose.
I will be doing computer science but Goodricke is £117 a week self catered compared to Derwent £115 a week and its catered, plus Derwent have a bar and are famed for the best social events.

What do people think that are currently in York now about the accommodation in Derwent or just in general their thaughts about york accommodation :smile:
Reply 1625
Honestly, at the rates they are charging now, just get the ****test/cheapest accommodation on campus. Usually the people in that sort of accommodation are decent down to earth sorts who are easy to get along with. Paying 117 a week is a completely embarrassing rip off.

Anywhere on campus is close enough to CS, you just jump on the 44, 4 or the Special Service bus (all for free) and it takes you right there.
It makes sense in that the university has some very old, decrepit buildings that shouldn't ever be inhabited, i.e. Old Langwith, and some other old buildings like Old Vanbrugh, Derwent, parts of James

I'm in Old Vanbrugh (£86 a week) and have had a great time, no complaints whatsoever. It's really not horrific at all, and I'd much rather be here than paying £30 more for a slightly bigger room and a more modern kitchen (I have friends in Goodricke so I have experienced the expensive accommodation).

Absolutely wouldn't have chosen anywhere else either, Old Vanbrugh's location is perfect.
Original post by SpiralDale
I'm in Old Vanbrugh (£86 a week) and have had a great time, no complaints whatsoever. It's really not horrific at all, and I'd much rather be here than paying £30 more for a slightly bigger room and a more modern kitchen (I have friends in Goodricke so I have experienced the expensive accommodation).

Absolutely wouldn't have chosen anywhere else either, Old Vanbrugh's location is perfect.

Perhaps we have differing definitions of horrific.

I'd say accommodationt that is more than £100 pounds a week that has...

A cleaner who sits in the kitchen drinking tea and reading magazines instead of cleaning (she completely ignored the fact that a pigeon got in through the window and **** on the counter until someone told her)

No hoover

Two showers for 16 people

Thick mould on the windows

Dodgy heating

Single-pane glass

A table and four chairs of 16 people

Asbestos in every wall and ceiling

Noisy waterfowl outside (:mad:)

Broken sinks in three rooms

One room without a sink entirely whilst another room has two sinks (just why?!)

and a couple of other little niggly problems

is horrific.

Honestly, if they even think of renting Langwith A Block out again, they're ridiculous.

It is possibly the oldest and least renovated accommodation on campus. What is even worse is that Langwith blocks B, C, D, E and F have all been renovated.

B Block has big kitchens

C Block has big kitchens

D Block has double glazing and big kitchens

E and F are relatively new

Seriously - if anyone is reading this and is given a room offer for Langwith A Block - turn it down!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1628

A cleaner who sits in the kitchen drinking tea and reading magazines instead of cleaning (she completely ignored the fact that a pigeon got in through the window and **** on the counter until someone told her)

No hoover

Dodgy heating

Single-pane glass

is horrific.

Honestly, if they even think of renting Langwith A Block out again, they're ridiculous.

It is possibly the oldest and least renovated accommodation on campus. What is even worse is that Langwith blocks B, C, D, E and F have all been renovated.

B Block has big kitchens

C Block has big kitchens

Seriously - if anyone is reading this and is given a room offer for Langwith A Block - turn it down!

Contact the campus media, with documentation (photographic/video if possible).

They love this sort of thing. Moreover, it'll increase the likelihood of your receiving compensation.
(edited 11 years ago)

No hoover

Dodgy heating

Single-pane glass

is horrific.

B Block has big kitchens

C Block has big kitchens

Original post by AirRaven
Contact the campus media, with documentation (photographic/video if possible).

They love this sort of thing. Moreover, it'll increase the likelihood of your receiving compensation.

May I also add to this list that the plug sockets in our kitchen have gone off again.

For what I think is the seventh (7th) time since we moved in.

If it wasn't catered (which is nothing more than glorified school meals) I'd have killed myself by throwing myself out of the windows that don't have safety locks.

No hoover

Dodgy heating

Single-pane glass

is horrific.

B Block has big kitchens

C Block has big kitchens

I've heard that Fairfax was similar a year or two ago, so they complained enough to get refunded some of their money for the year, worth a shot.
I think I've narrowed down my preferences:

1st: Derwent - standard catered

2nd: Derwent - standard self-catered

3rd: Vanbrugh - standard catered.

That should do it.
Reply 1632

Will it even be called Langwith A next year? I knew they're building Langwith on Hes East, I presumed they're moving the whole thing there and doing away with the old cesspit that is the current Langwith blocks.

However, I know someone who lived in Langwith A a few years ago. They obviously had all of the same problems but just took it all as part of the university experience. :dontknow:
Reply 1633
The current Langwith College is being merged with Derwent.

So, yes- chances are, the old buildings'll still be there.
Albeit with a refit, I'd hazard.
Could anyone tell me how much difference a 33/39 week let makes (apart from the money aspect)... does it make much difference having to move out a little earlier or would it be more practical to go for a 39 week let? I'm stuck between James & New Vanbrugh... looks like New Vanbrugh only has one "house" with a 39 week en-suite let, so wondering if it makes a lot of difference.
Reply 1635
Original post by xoxjubixox
Could anyone tell me how much difference a 33/39 week let makes (apart from the money aspect)... does it make much difference having to move out a little earlier or would it be more practical to go for a 39 week let? I'm stuck between James & New Vanbrugh... looks like New Vanbrugh only has one "house" with a 39 week en-suite let, so wondering if it makes a lot of difference.

The 39 week let comes highly recommended, if money's not a huge issue.

The convenience of having a guaranteed home in York for the entire year's more than worth it- otherwise, you'll have to move out all of your stuff over the holidays. Something of a nightmare.

...Although, it'd be worth saving the money for later years, if you can.
Reply 1636
It's only the easter holidays you have to love out afaik, not Xmas.

I can't justify the £700 to stay over Easter, especially when my parents only live an hour away.
Original post by AirRaven
The 39 week let comes highly recommended, if money's not a huge issue.

The convenience of having a guaranteed home in York for the entire year's more than worth it- otherwise, you'll have to move out all of your stuff over the holidays. Something of a nightmare.

...Although, it'd be worth saving the money for later years, if you can.

Thanks :smile: I'll give it a think. I live about 2 hours away, so not a HUGE deal. As you say, it's mainly a financial thing to think about now. Better get looking at my savings and work out what I can afford :smile: Thanks for the help!
Original post by xoxjubixox

It depends entirely on whether your parents' home (or wherever) is somewhere you don't mind being for five weeks and/or whether you can comfortably afford it.

In the end, I'm glad I went for 33 week let because I ended up saving about £600 on it which I REALLY REALLY needed for my second year flat deposit :s-smilie: and to be honest, by the end of second term I needed the break :tongue:

New Vanbrugh rooms are super nice, though - if accommodation quality is something you're particularly bothered about.
On the other hand, I'm in a 39 week let and had to come back over the holidays, which I wouldn't have been able to do in the 33 week lets. I don't know how much cheaper the 39 week lets are over the year, but in my opinion, it's worth saving the hassle over the holidays.

Right, I've just worked out how much it is a year (using the current prices) and even though I payed for 6 extra weeks in a 39 week let, i'm still saving £600 a year compared to 33 week band 4. I think it's worth it :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest