The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography Unit 3 Pre-Release: Water Conflicts

So the Unit 3 pre-release was released and it is on water conflict. I thought we could just have a thread to post idea of what you questions you think will come up and just general help.

http://www.edexcel.com/quals/gce/gce08/geography/Pages/default.aspx

Go to Assessment Materials > June 2012 and the link to the pre-release should be there if you want to download it.

I tried to attach it but it was too big :colondollar:

So what is everyone's general thoughts? I am quite please it is on water conflicts.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm glad that it's on Water Conflicts - However, i don't like the case studies they have chosen. I know very little on the transboundary water sources in South East Asia :/
Gottaaa get revising i guess :biggrin:
Really wished that it was on Superpowers! Ah well...

When we got the resources in class we have started to come up with ideas but i'll post again tomorrow when we have another lesson and see what our teacher says :smile:
Reply 3
I was absolutely ecstatic when I saw it. So so so happy :biggrin:
Suppose ill be coming back here closer to the test day when everyone's panicking :tongue:
Reply 5
I don't know what I could link them to. Maybe Superpowers for China and Energy Security?
Original post by Barksy
I don't know what I could link them to. Maybe Superpowers for China and Energy Security?

You don't need to link the pre-release to anything... do you :s-smilie:
Reply 7
I am glad its on water conflicts, i really enjoyed this when we were taught but having trouble trying to find information on the conflicts but as far as i can see china is involved in most of the tran boundary conflicts
I'm thinking of linking energy security to the question in the sense that like energy, water demand and usage is relatively unknown due to uncertainties of
Population growth
Economic growth of BRIC's
Availability of aquifers
Long term sustainable solutions.
Just a thought :P
Reply 9
There are excellent opportunites to illustrate synopticity and use of parallel examples.

Parallel examples of transboundary issues
- Turkey GAP project - possible conflict with Syria and Iraq over Tigris and Euphrates
- River Nile particularly the Blue Nile and Ethiopia’s plans to dam it - impact this might have downstream.
- R Colorado flow controlled and water diverted impacts on Mexico

Note:Water Geopolitics
Upstream countries assert right to TERRITORIAL SOVEREIGNTY (It is our water, so it is our decision how it is used)
Downstream countries claim TERRITORIAL INTEGRITY (it’s our right to receive the same amount and quality of water as we have in the past)
Water diplomacy to negotiate international agreement/treaties Helsinki Rules general agreement on equitable use/equitable share (p 49 A2 Green txt bk)

Synopticity:- AS flood control World at Risk & Extreme Weather; AS Going Global pop growth & rapid urbanisation; Energy Security; Development Gap food supply; Superpowers (India) (China)both part of BRICs; Technical Fix
Reply 10
Anyone gonna do Energy and Technological fix for the exam?

By the way, we do have to answer 2 topics and then the pre-release right? :smile:
Reply 11
In the exam, how are you exactly 'synoptic'? Do you just drop it in as you go along or do you have to mention which part of the course it comes from?

Anyway from what they've given us, the other topics I'm going to use are superpowers (China), development gap (water as a 'lubricant for development'), energy (HEP) and the obvious parts of the AS course.
Reply 12
[COLOR="#000000"]
Original post by Barksy
In the exam, how are you exactly 'synoptic'? Do you just drop it in as you go along or do you have to mention which part of the course it comes from?

Anyway from what they've given us, the other topics I'm going to use are superpowers (China), development gap (water as a 'lubricant for development'), energy (HEP) and the obvious parts of the AS course.

Hey :smile:
Synopticity is quite easy and it depends on the question whether its easy to add it in and you dont have to mention that you are going to be synoptic, I just make it flow... well I try :smile:
If you were answering a question on the development gap, for example 'Assess the view that economic development is not possible without causing environmental degredation' (15)
Straight away you can be synoptic using biodiversity and water, Energy and the Tech Fix:

Biodiversity- As developing countries become increasingly economical, for example installing water innovations to decrease water scarcity, negative consequences on the environment will occur such as land degredation which could lead to possible loss of habitat and risk of endangering marine or land species. However after developing countries have developed environmental degredation will decrease as people will have innovations to provide clean water which will improve human health. Also, improved innovations could use renewable energy such as wind farms (both synoptic for energy and tech fix) which decreases carbon emissions as well as global warming. However, even with increased economical development, problems such as land loss (less space to expand for agriculture or infrastructure) and deforestation can be another negative envirnomental consequence from economical development. :smile:

Umm.. I kinda forgot where i was going with this, but that is an example of how to be synoptic
Reply 13
does anybody have any useful documents or information which they could share on this pre-release?
Reply 14
my teacher thinks the first question for water insecurity will be on `why do these areas suffer water insecurity physically?" does anyone have any physical geography notes they could help me on possibly please?
I am really strugling on how and what to revise for water! :/ i do not know what to research and its making me panic, does anyone have any advice or any suggestions on what to research or does anyone have any useful documents or revision material? :smile:
Original post by ellageog
There are excellent opportunites to illustrate synopticity and use of parallel examples.

Parallel examples of transboundary issues
- Turkey GAP project - possible conflict with Syria and Iraq over Tigris and Euphrates
- River Nile particularly the Blue Nile and Ethiopia’s plans to dam it - impact this might have downstream.
- R Colorado flow controlled and water diverted impacts on Mexico

Note:Water Geopolitics
Upstream countries assert right to TERRITORIAL SOVEREIGNTY (It is our water, so it is our decision how it is used)
Downstream countries claim TERRITORIAL INTEGRITY (it’s our right to receive the same amount and quality of water as we have in the past)
Water diplomacy to negotiate international agreement/treaties Helsinki Rules general agreement on equitable use/equitable share (p 49 A2 Green txt bk)

Synopticity:- AS flood control World at Risk & Extreme Weather; AS Going Global pop growth & rapid urbanisation; Energy Security; Development Gap food supply; Superpowers (India) (China)both part of BRICs; Technical Fix

Do you have any information on the R Colorado case study?
Reply 17
Hello, im new to this student room thing :smile: stuck a bit on this section of the exam, do we have to use additional case studies or only the ones which are mentioned in the pre-release? also anyone know what area's to focus on?

thank youu :smile:
Reply 18
The layout of the pre-release makes me think the following questions will come up:

1. Factors affecting water distrubution/inequality
2. Threats to water supply
3. Future management/sources of water supply

I am re-sitting after doing quite badly in The Technological Fix Pre-Release back in January. This one seems much more straight forward! :smile:
Reply 19
How many topics are people doing for section A ?

Quick Reply

Latest