The Student Room Group

AQA AS Physics A Unit 2 25/05/12 - PHYA2

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Mystic Creature
Can anyone explain the difference between progressive waves and stationary waves? Progressive waves make up a stationary wave, is it?

The way I think of it is a progressive wave appears to move horizontally, whereas a stationary wave just oscillates in the same position.

But yes...
A stationary wave if formed when two progressive waves of the same amplitude and frequency, in the same mediumm, travelling in opposite directions superpose to produce points of zero displacement (nodes) and maximun displace (antinodes).
Reply 41
Can someone explain the diffraction grating pattern with white light, Im like :eek:
Original post by Dunclr
Can someone explain the diffraction grating pattern with white light, Im like :eek:

Once we learn it, I'll be happy to explain it to you.
when dots appear on the screen, in diffraction, does that mean the light source used wasn't monochromatic?
Reply 44
I used to Like physics, got an A in the first unit, but I CANT DO THIS SH*T haha
Original post by Dunclr

diffraction grating with white light produces fringes that have colours of the spectrum. the zero order is just white light since all the wavelengths pass through it. and the 1st and 2nd and more orders have the spectrum, roygbiv on one side and mirrored on the other side so vibgyor.
Original post by Dunclr
I used to Like physics, got an A in the first unit, but I CANT DO THIS SH*T haha

Dude I'm with you on that. I love physics, but these waves and optics chapters make me want to throw up, seriously. Unit 1 is so much easier (which btw, I havent took yet - also taking that that in may, in 5 days :eek: )
Original post by Mystic Creature

Dude I'm with you on that. I love physics, but these waves and optics chapters make me want to throw up, seriously. Unit 1 is so much easier (which btw, I havent took yet - also taking that that in may, in 5 days :eek: )

Me too, well said!
Reply 48
anyone got a list/idea of the possible 6 markers? there's always that one big evil question!
Reply 49
in my opinion i think it is probs going to be on energy changes
Reply 50
by the way is your exam in the morning or afternoon
Reply 51
Original post by ehtisham_1
by the way is your exam in the morning or afternoon

The exam is in the afternoon - it's all standardized across the country (AQA Physics A, AS unit 2).
Reply 52
in my opinion i think it is probs going to be on energy changes

what do you mean by energy changes? like gravitational potential to kinetic and all that jazz
Original post by JenniS
what do you mean by energy changes? like gravitational potential to kinetic and all that jazz

Ground state, electron negative energy maybe
dont actually know a single thing about moments or mechaics -.- god im screwed for unit 2! and does anyone have any advicce on the long answer questions i usualy leavethem not having a clue what to do
Reply 55
I'm undertaking a 5 day physics PHYA2 challenge :biggrin:

I've never done PHYA2 before (self teaching) and intend to learn it in 3 days.

I've got through all the mechanics, and am now on to power and materials sections. I'm not looking forward to waves though :/
Reply 56
do we need to know about the renewable energy section in the energy and work section of the aqa book
Reply 57
do we need to know about the renewable energy section in the energy and work section of the aqa book

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2450-W-SP.PDF
No, it's not in the spec.
Anywoo, it just seems like the earlier part of that section applied to different things.
Reply 58
I'm scared of the weird word questions they can throw up (especially 6 markers). I understand the physics, but I am unsure what to put to get the marks... (and I often don't :frown:).
Reply 59
Original post by silentlife
I'm scared of the weird word questions they can throw up (especially 6 markers). I understand the physics, but I am unsure what to put to get the marks... (and I often don't :frown:).

most of the time its just stating the obvious

Quick Reply