The Student Room Group

BCU Radiographers 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by smizz
Congratulations guys on your awesome achievement! :biggrin:

It's not directly related, but i'm hoping to apply for BCU Radiography for 2013 entry - if i was successful in getting an interview- what does the interview consist of? What kind of questions do they ask & do they make you sit a test there and then?

I've already done a degree, 1st class in fine art, my A Levels are all up to scratch AAB, done 1 day clinical - still looking for some shadowing work experience. thinking about doing a BTEC L3 science just to boost my science knowledge to make my application a bit more UCAS desirable.

Since all of my education has been centered around humanities, technology and art, I'm totally freaking out a bit at how to prepare for a science-based interview for a course like Radiography.

Any information, especially from successful applicants would be amazzzzinggg!

And congratulations once again!! I'm super excited for you guys! Maybe with some crazy luck I'll be with you guys next year! :biggrin:

Heyy, well I've got onto the Radiotherapy course, but I would think that the Radiography interview is quite similar. I think it will depend on who interviews you, but I got asked things like 'Why I want to do Radiotherapy?', 'What qualities do you think a Radiotherapist needs?' 'What skills do you think you can bring to the profession?' etc. I didn't have to have any test when I was at the interview :biggrin:

Make sure you are 100% sure you want to do radiography, and then if that is the case, make sure your personal statement is based all around Radiography and not other things, as this is their first impression of you and forms the basis of whether they want to invite you to the interview stages or not. Also if you do get an interview, just relax and be yourself. I found the interview quite relaxed and informal, and it was more of a general chat that anything which helped me personally.

As for preparing, I think just getting as much experience as you can, and reading up around the subject is good. Also make sure you go to the open days because there are normally current students their to talk to which is always good to find out the students perspective of the course, and not just the university's!

Good luck in your application, and if you wanna ask anything else then please do :smile:

xx
Reply 21
Original post by kelkin1
Heyy, well I've got onto the Radiotherapy course, but I would think that the Radiography interview is quite similar. I think it will depend on who interviews you, but I got asked things like 'Why I want to do Radiotherapy?', 'What qualities do you think a Radiotherapist needs?' 'What skills do you think you can bring to the profession?' etc. I didn't have to have any test when I was at the interview :biggrin:

Make sure you are 100% sure you want to do radiography, and then if that is the case, make sure your personal statement is based all around Radiography and not other things, as this is their first impression of you and forms the basis of whether they want to invite you to the interview stages or not. Also if you do get an interview, just relax and be yourself. I found the interview quite relaxed and informal, and it was more of a general chat that anything which helped me personally.

As for preparing, I think just getting as much experience as you can, and reading up around the subject is good. Also make sure you go to the open days because there are normally current students their to talk to which is always good to find out the students perspective of the course, and not just the university's!

Good luck in your application, and if you wanna ask anything else then please do :smile:

xx

Thank you so much kelkin1 for the information! And congratulations for getting onto the course, that's awesome!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you study at A Level? I think this is the thing I'm worried about the most, as I don't have a hardcore science A level - I have sociology which they accept. But obviously I think they'll be more inclined to go with a candidate that's got more science in their educational background ha!

Thanks once again :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by smizz
Thank you so much kelkin1 for the information! And congratulations for getting onto the course, that's awesome!!!

If you don't mind me asking, what subjects did you study at A Level? I think this is the thing I'm worried about the most, as I don't have a hardcore science A level - I have sociology which they accept. But obviously I think they'll be more inclined to go with a candidate that's got more science in their educational background ha!

Have you emailed the uni to ask if they would consider your A Level choices? I think that would be a good idea to know where you stand in terms of getting an interview. I don't think everywhere requires an A Level science but of course it helps as its a very "sciencey" course. The other option could be to take a gap year after college and get some experience in the health field, as a healthcare assistant for example. That definitely helped me get a place!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 23
Original post by smizz

I don't have A-levels. I was studying an access to health professions course, and after I went for my interview, they offered me a place without me having to start the course as I'd done a year of a nursing course. So it really is worth phoning them up to see because it definitely isn't all about qualifications :smile:

x
Reply 24
hi guys ! Im going to bcu in for diagnostic radiography as I accepted my unconditional :smile: !
Reply 25
Original post by Mcbay
hi guys ! Im going to bcu in for diagnostic radiography as I accepted my unconditional :smile: !

Hi!

See you in September then :smile: are you going into halls or commuting?

Reply 26
Original post by Bubble87
Hi!

See you in September then :smile: are you going into halls or commuting?

yeah :biggrin: im staying in halls, city south calthopre to be precise :smile: what about yourself ?
Reply 27
Original post by Mcbay
yeah :biggrin: im staying in halls, city south calthopre to be precise :smile: what about yourself ?

I'm going to be commuting from Cheltenham!! Fingers crossed I get a placement here lol x

Reply 28
I'm going to be commuting from Cheltenham!! Fingers crossed I get a placement here lol x

yeah I was asking if I could do my placement here in ireland during the summer break but they told me it HAS to be in one of the designated birmingham hospitals.. but it might be different for you in england :smile: ..I dont know where cheltenham is :frown: haha
Reply 29
Original post by Mcbay
yeah I was asking if I could do my placement here in ireland during the summer break but they told me it HAS to be in one of the designated birmingham hospitals.. but it might be different for you in england :smile: ..I dont know where cheltenham is :frown: haha

It has to be a designated hospital because the tutors visit you every week and Cheltenham is 50 miles from Birmingham! It is one of the designated placement sites and coz its so far away hopefully no one else will be particularly wanting to get one here! You get an elective placement in your final year that you can do anywhere that agrees to take you so you'd be able to do that in Ireland.

Reply 30
Only just stumbled upon this thread. I'm starting diagnostic radiography at BCU in September :smile: Will be living in halls. I'm from Nottingham so hoping I get QMC in Nottingham as my placement hospital. It's a lot further from Birmingham than most of the other placement hospitals so hopefully not many other people will want to go there :smile:
Reply 31
Hey ill be starting diagnostic radiography too im moving up from bradford but not living in halls booked my accommodation privately think its call IQ accommodation
Reply 32
I found timetables!!

https://timetables.bcu.ac.uk/health/Semester1/g6377.pdf

This was posted from The Student Room's iPad App
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting Radiography at BCU in sept. I'm a mature student and I'll be living at home in Stafford during my studies and hoping to get Stafford as my placement.

Looking forward to starting the course and meeting everyone!
Reply 34
Hi Caroline! I'm a mature student too, radiography seems to attract quite a few of us :smile:

Hi Caroline! I'm a mature student too, radiography seems to attract quite a few of us :smile:

I'm 30, so a bit older than you I think (saw on an earlier message). It'll be nice to have a wide range of people on the course.

I wonder when we will get course info from the uni, i've had a search round the icity site where we had to enrol and I found the timetable but couldn't really find much else, i suppose we will get it all on the induction.

I just want to start now, i've been planning on going to uni and doing this for well over a year now and can't believe I am finally starting. Finishing work next week so have a nice 2 week break before uni :smile:

See you all soon!
Reply 36
Yea I'm 25 :smile: I didn't really find much either except timetables. But that's useful for planning my work shifts at least! Got my CRB back today and did the online enrolment last week so fingers crossed that's everything until the 17th!

Reply 38
Hi thought i'd introduce myself. My name is Eva and im starting Radiography at BCU in September. Feel free to add me on facebook as Eva Edmunds (i'm blonde lol), or message me on here. It would be nice to get to know people before I go :smile: xxx
Reply 39
I found timetables!!

https://timetables.bcu.ac.uk/health/Semester1/g6377.pdf

Hey would you know how to access the Radiography timetables?

Quick Reply

Latest