The Student Room Group

How hard is to pass your theory test???

Ok so I wanna pass my theory exam before I do the practical so i have five questions:

On a scale of one to ten how hard is it to pass - one being extremely hard and ten - being super easy?

How long before the theory exam did you revise?

How long did you revise per day for the exam?

What did you use to pass the exam (so what books and CDS or sites would you recommend?)

Did you pass your theory exam first time round?

Cheers to everyone who answers ! :woo:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I revised for about 5 hours in total and passed first time.
Used a CD-ROM to practice hazard perception and the DS game to study theory, a lot of it is common sense.
Reply 2
Revised for about two days before the exam, about four hours a day or something. Passed first time, used a RAC test book (with answers) and the highway code to revise the theory and a CD to practice hazard perception.
i'd say about 7. it's not relatively hard if you spend some time on the CD.
Reply 4
i found it quite easy. i studied for about a year, but not properly until about 3 months before, would do a bit each week but nothing major, until 3 months before where i was studying for at least half an hour a day, used to do the disk while watching tv so i could study for ages but it wasnt a case of looking at a screen or the book for hours on end.

i tried the book but was so long and boring i bought a cd rom instead and used
"Driving Test Success ALL Tests 2009/2010 Edition (PC)" which was £5 at tesco and found it really good to get along with, when doing practice tests it tells you why an answer is wrong before it lets you move onto next question so it sinks in better.

i passed first time and made a booklet of things i was struggling with and spent an hour before the test memorising themm only for them not to appear on the test. i got 48/50 on theory and 57/75 on hazard perception so disk cant be that bad.

good luck in your test when you take it:smile:
I revised for about an hour a day, three days before the test. I used the CD to practice hazard perception and the AA highway code book to touch up on my road signs. I managed to pass it first time :smile:
Reply 6
8/10, I started revising the day before, passed with flying colours. I skimmed through the book, and just kept going on the CD test until I was passing frequently. Hazard perception is easy too, if you have any sort of road sense then it will be a breeze.
Reply 7
It's piss.
Reply 8
8. The hardest bit is the hazard perception, but do some practices and you'll be fine.
8/10. I used a CD and did like 100 questions from a book. Plus flicking through the Highway code sometimes. It wasn't as hard as I thought and doesn't take as long as you think. I think mine took about 25 minutes and you get an hour or something.

Just make sure you read the question incase you make a silly mistake. Plus if you take too long on the multiple choice you could get bored and then you have hazard perception and you're tired and you could react slowly.
the multiple choice is a piece of piss.

its like IT IZ RAININ WUT DO U DO:

A) GO FASTER 2 GET HOME SO U CAN GET UR WASHIN IN
B) SOUND UR HORN CONTINUOUSLY SO PPL NO DAT U R DER
C) STOP DA CAR ITZ NOT SAFE 2 DRIVE!!!
D) PUT UR WINDSCREEN WIPERZ ON
I did the online mock, and passed without any revision, so I think it'll be piss when I come to do it for real.
Reply 12
9-10. 1 week. 8 mock test using the DSA cd. 1st time round. Trust me , mock tests help alot!
Reply 13
Just Practice the Hazard perception videos and know the speed limits/road signs
everything else is common sense
I just revised the night before and passed first time!
I did it about 4 years ago and then never did my test with uni and whatnot and it expired so I had to take it again. First time I swotted up on loads of things, second time I read the Highway Code book once the day before. Passed both times, had a lower score the second time ofc. Most of it is common sense aside from fact questions like tire tread depth which you just memorise. Good luck.
Reply 15
I'd say a 9. Just to practice papers online and if you cba, read the highway code. I passed first time.
MissFanatical
the multiple choice is a piece of piss.

its like IT IZ RAININ WUT DO U DO:

A) GO FASTER 2 GET HOME SO U CAN GET UR WASHIN IN
B) SOUND UR HORN CONTINUOUSLY SO PPL NO DAT U R DER
C) STOP DA CAR ITZ NOT SAFE 2 DRIVE!!!
D) PUT UR WINDSCREEN WIPERZ ON

I'm going to go with D...
Reply 17
I would give it a 4/5

Buy the BSM book with the CD-ROM and spend 2/3 weekends with it and you'll defo pass
Reply 18
It's pretty straightforward even if you haven't revised at all, I'd say. I put in about a week's revision using a friend's theory test CD and managed to pass it first time - I'd very much recommend you use the same technique. It takes a little while to get used to how the hazard perception test works, but actually having a simulator to hand makes it very easy to understand.

Good luck! :smile:
7 Pretty easy.
I think Hazard perception is the hardest part so I got a DVD to practice, it's good to know what they are looking for, because stuff like "a bit of mud on the road" counts as a hazard.

Latest