The Student Room Group

Blocked sweat gland/spots under armpits?

I've never had any problem with my skin and am slightly prone to spots when it's my time of the month... however, for about 3 months now, I've had what look like spots under my armpits.

I tried changing deodrant and that didn't work. Has anyone got any suggestions?

I've just got into a new relationship and as it stands - I can't wear sleeveless tops and feel uncomfortable getting intimate because of it.
I've have one before...popped it and my mum could hear it from another room!
sound like ingrown hairs to me. I epilate so I get them quite a lot, i buy creams from Sally's to help with them and they're not huge but still there. exfoliate with gloves before and after you shave them, and try switching to a gentler deodorant (I was using one from lush which seemed to help a lot but I've run out and got a big standard one since)
Reply 3
Original post by hannahhaworth
sound like ingrown hairs to me. I epilate so I get them quite a lot, i buy creams from Sally's to help with them and they're not huge but still there. exfoliate with gloves before and after you shave them, and try switching to a gentler deodorant (I was using one from lush which seemed to help a lot but I've run out and got a big standard one since)

Sally's? Can you link me please? That's brilliant advice... thinking about it, it does sound more like ingrown hairs as changing deodrant didn't help. Do you know which one you used from lush? And as for gloves, are they just the normal exfoliating gloves that I use on my legs before shaving?

Thank you so much!
http://www.sallyexpress.com/viewProduct.aspx?pid=108743
https://www.lush.co.uk/product/5800/The-Guv%27ner-Deodorant-Powder
The deodorant smells a bit weird but I don't mind it much. It might be worth going into a shop and asking for a sample if you're not sure. And yeah, just the normal exfoliating gloves. I give my armpits a right going over once a day with them hahaha
It also might be worth mentioning that especially with the weather as it is, try to avoid shaving as much as you can (I know, horrible)!
Also, before I started epilating I got ingrowns a lot *down there*, and I had to use a new razor every time to avoid it (now I get huge disgusting boil things, so epilating is LOADS worse!). Expensive but it helped. And electric razors might be worth looking into; they don't get the skin as smooth but therefore hairs don't get trapped under it as easily.
PM me if you like :smile:
I used to get really bad spots under my arms when I was a teenager, and nothing I did really helped. The doc put me on courses of antibiotics when it got really bad but it always came back. I switched from a roll on deo to a spray on one as this irritated it less but I eventually just grew out of it.
My daughter has the same problem. She was putting talc under her arms to stop the sweating and it got worse. Now she uses antibacterial soap twice a day. Try using hair removal cream or waxing instead of using a razor. Shaving leaves the hairs sharp at the ends, whereas waxing takes them out at the root and they grow back with a fine soft tip, less likely to grow back on itself and infect the follicle, causing the spot or lump. Also you could use t tree wipes to keep them clean and use plenty of moisturiser on them.
hope this helps
Lisa x

Quick Reply

Latest