The Student Room Group

Failed IB Math HL Mock

Had my HL math exam today, it was the May '11 TZ2 papers and I failed miserably. I know because I failed to answer more than 50% of the papers.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to only get 25-40% overall in these papers (I didn't do the options paper).

I'm so annoyed with myself, I was aiming for a 5 or possibly a 6. Do you guys/girls have any advice to ensure that I can aim for a 5 or 6 come May?

I'm so depressed at the moment!
Reply 1
Well Im feeling like you too I just failed 3 subjects and im in IB 1 halfway through my year :frown: Well I think just do the best you can and don't spend all your time worrying and just study as much as you possibly can.
Reply 2
Ahhh right I only failed maths, well you have a lot more time so I really wouldn't worry if I were you! I went up by a point or two since my last exams which were in June (except maths where I dropped from a 5 grr) and I passed all those exams...
Reply 3
Had my Maths mock today and failed, too. But I am not taking it too hard, rather I see it as an indication of my knowledge so far and the results will show what I need to concentrate my revision on, therefore I have done no preparation for mocks whatsoever. There is still time.
Reply 4
Original post by Angustevo
Had my HL math exam today, it was the May '11 TZ2 papers and I failed miserably. I know because I failed to answer more than 50% of the papers.

I'm pretty sure i'm going to only get 25-40% overall in these papers (I didn't do the options paper).

I'm so annoyed with myself, I was aiming for a 5 or possibly a 6. Do you guys/girls have any advice to ensure that I can aim for a 5 or 6 come May?

I'm so depressed at the moment!

You shot yourself in the foot by taking the IB in the first place and by taking Maths HL when you clearly lacked the intellect required.
Enjoy your 3 or 4 in HL maths that will be considered a C or a D by British universities in the supposedly equivalent A-level Maths (despite the fact that 40% of A level maths students achieve A).
Reply 5
No I disagree (you're reasoning failed you), I've done pretty well through the IB: got near full marks in all my coursework and AA in Core!!! Saying I lacked the intellect required is really jumping to conclusions.
Anyway, I'm not going to argue or try to annoy someone who doesn't know me. It's petty.
Reply 6
40% of a level maths students get an A because alevels is pathetic. How you can only do 3 or 4 subjects I dont understand and then have such a large top band which reflects how easy every subject is. Enjoy getting to uni and having the shock of your lifetime while all the IB students are going through it well because unlike alevels IB is actually useful and actually prepares you for university. I apologise for my reply being as rude as it is but it angers me to see people put IB students down when I know how hard it is
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest