The Student Room Group
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website

Teesside Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Anyone submitted their Firm and had the invitation for accommodation and submitted their choices yet?

I submitted my Firm for Teesside in early January and received my invitation to apply for accommodation last week. All submitted with passport style photograph as requested!

King Edwards Square submitted as first choice as it's nearest to the school of science and engineering, followed by Parkside Flats, Parkside Halls, Woodside Halls and Uni managed accommodation.
Students relax on campus, Teesside University
Teesside University
Middlesbrough
Visit website
Firmed Computer Science (G400)
I've got an interview next week for Computer and Digital Forensics. Not really sure what to expect as I've never been to an open day so I guess I'll kinda decide then if I like the uni or not too.
I wouldn't worry so much about the interview, mine was a breeze without any effort (atleast I felt I didn't). For Computer Science in particular it was felt as if just turning up to the interview got you a reduced offer. People I know who even showed up all got reduced offers, ones that didn't got the full typical offer.
Original post by anonystudent
I wouldn't worry so much about the interview, mine was a breeze without any effort (atleast I felt I didn't). For Computer Science in particular it was felt as if just turning up to the interview got you a reduced offer. People I know who even showed up all got reduced offers, ones that didn't got the full typical offer.

Oh cool! I dunno if I wanna go there though. This will be my first time seeing Teesside uni so I'll kinda be deciding on the day whether I wanna go there aswell. Do they give you an offer/rejection right after the interview or do you have to wait a while? Coz if I like my other uni better then I might just withdraw my application from them so I don't waste anymore time. Also how much was your offer reduced by? If you don't mind me asking.
I've also applied for Biological Sciences :smile: but the extended one. Just received an unconditional offer for it. Course seems really good, I'm just not too sure about Middlesbrough... I'm from the North East but I've been in Leeds for a few month now, don't wanna move there and be disappointed with the nightlife, lack of jobs etc. I want someone to big up the Boro!! :smile:
Original post by oElectronic
Oh cool! I dunno if I wanna go there though. This will be my first time seeing Teesside uni so I'll kinda be deciding on the day whether I wanna go there aswell. Do they give you an offer/rejection right after the interview or do you have to wait a while? Coz if I like my other uni better then I might just withdraw my application from them so I don't waste anymore time. Also how much was your offer reduced by? If you don't mind me asking.

I had an interview last week and she gave me an offer at the end of the interview. They just show u around the facilities then u go and see the interviewer. Its nout to worry about at all :smile:
Original post by britkitty91
I had an interview last week and she gave me an offer at the end of the interview. They just show u around the facilities then u go and see the interviewer. Its nout to worry about at all :smile:

Thanks, although I'm not sure if I'll be going to the interview anymore. Today they randomly decided to tell me that my subjects aren't really suitable despite them saying on their website that Computer and Digital forensics doesn't need any particular subjects. So they want to transfer me to an interview for Forensics Science instead...? They've had loads of times to tell me before hand as I have contacted them a couple time and if that was the case then why didn't they just decline me straight away...? I mean all the other uni's I applied to gave me offers despite my subjects so what gives? But ahh well.

I received a 240 point offer, reduced from 280. I was told in the interview that because my performance was apparently great, they would be willing to take me without a C at GCSE Mathematics (taking it over the summer), so that was not included within my offer unlike my other choices.

As for the day, we first had a talk from the head of school of computing (last 30minutes). We were then split up into groups A & B, the group you went in depended on whether you had your interview first or not. So, whilst one group went for their interviews the others went on a tour. That's all there is to it really
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks, although I'm not sure if I'll be going to the interview anymore. Today they randomly decided to tell me that my subjects aren't really suitable despite them saying on their website that Computer and Digital forensics doesn't need any particular subjects. So they want to transfer me to an interview for Forensics Science instead...? They've had loads of times to tell me before hand as I have contacted them a couple time and if that was the case then why didn't they just decline me straight away...? I mean all the other uni's I applied to gave me offers despite my subjects so what gives? But ahh well.

That's not good. I take it you're an A Level applicant? They seem to be quite picky in the school of computing about which subjects they want, my interviewer was telling me about applicants he had to interview after me who are doing nothing related to computing. I can only suggest contacting them. I wouldn't withdraw, it's a great university. Good luck.
That's not good. I take it you're an A Level applicant? They seem to be quite picky in the school of computing about which subjects they want, my interviewer was telling me about applicants he had to interview after me who are doing nothing related to computing. I can only suggest contacting them. I wouldn't withdraw, it's a great university. Good luck.

Yup! I thought about doing IT at A level but I already investigated my course and everywhere I looked said it wasn't essential. I just hate IT anyway, it's just not the side of computing I'm interested in AT ALL xD But yeah I already rang them up to double check if I definitely wasn't getting an interview for Computer and Digital Forensics and they said yeah, I'd only get one for Forensic Science. The woman did say it's something to do with the course changing this year, and if it was last year I would've been considered still so idk. I've already withdrawn my application on UCAS and made my firm and insurance choice today so yeah. Never mind eh? Good job on getting a reduced offer though! :smile:
Thanks :biggrin:. Good luck to you in the future. Where did you firm, if you don't mind me asking?
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks :biggrin:. Good luck to you in the future. Where did you firm, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks, you too! ^_^
And I firmed Staffordshire in the end. The uni isn't meant to be THAT amazing itself but it's meant to be really good for my course and for network courses which is somewhat related to what I wanna do so I'm happy with that :smile:
I'm guessing you firmed Teesside?
Correct, I did. I applied to 5 other institutes and received 5 conditional offers but I decided I didn't want an insurance. Mainly because some of my teachers studied CS at Tees, they having nothing but praise for the school. I'm hoping to build a career in teaching, the impression I am getting is that the degree at Tees is more than geared in preparing me. I don't really know what it is but whilst I was on my tour something clicked, it just felt right.
Well that's the kinda thing you want really, to feel as though that uni is for you. But yeah, that's good though!
Anyone applying for Psychology and Counselling? Or accepted their offer for said course? Cant find anyone applying for it at any university :/ might be a lonely course... Thank yoouu :smile:
What does everyone think of the area around the university? so middlesbrough as a whole?
Reply 97
King Edward's Square was my first choice for accommodation :smile: absolutely loved it on the open day :-) really really hope I get that one!
Reply 98
Original post by Rebecca17
Got a conditional offer to do crime and investigation. Anybody else?

Yeah, I've got an unconditional :smile:
You applied for accommodation yet?
Reply 99
when applying for accomodation does the uni try put people with similar interests together, or courses? or do they just randomly put you where they can?

and anyone who has been sent accommodation info on applying, what does it involve?

Quick Reply