The Student Room Group

Art applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1420
all about the money, is why everything's so ****ing stale now
Original post by kaylafrances
oh my godddddd I feel sick now! haha well done, seriously you deserve it :smile:

Thanks :smile: you'll be fine! They're the nicest interviews ever.
Brighton's pretty bad for favouring international students too. I rang them to ask about places on UCAS Extra last year only to be told that they were for international students only, seems like they have a set quota to fill or something.
Reply 1423
Original post by Ham_Sandwich
Brighton's pretty bad for favouring international students too. I rang them to ask about places on UCAS Extra last year only to be told that they were for international students only, seems like they have a set quota to fill or something.

I had a sneaky peek at CSM's available places and there's places for international applicants on the Fine Art course, but not for Home/EU...
Right well, I have massive news.

I GOT IN TO GOLDSMITHS.

They asked me not to mention it to others who were applying, as they don't usually give out offers then and there at interview but to hell with that. I think everyone here knows that standard procedure is a week's wait and won't start worrying that they've been rejected.

I'm still in shock to be honest.

Oh my god, congratulations!!!! That's farking INCREDIBLE. Can I have a nosy at your online portfolio again? Hahaha. My interview is next Tuesday. It's so surprising because it seems like your interview was so relaxed compared to the things I've heard about the Goldsmiths interview. Yeah, man, damn! :biggrin: Big thumbs up to you.

Also, about international students, I totally agree with everyone. I've been cast into international status as well despite having a British passport because I haven't paid taxes for the last three years outside of education, and to be honest it's a little disheartening to be accepted probably just because you must pay the monies. What more, contrary to popular belief, the unis have a cap/quota for home students, not international students... so they can accept as many as they like. :/ But I'm just going to go for my best anyway.
(edited 12 years ago)
Thanks :smile: you'll be fine! They're the nicest interviews ever.

:smile: what did you get last year (pass/merit/d)?
Original post by Princeling
Oh my god, congratulations!!!! That's farking INCREDIBLE. Can I have a nosy at your online portfolio again? Hahaha. My interview is next Tuesday. It's so surprising because it seems like your interview was so relaxed compared to the things I've heard about the Goldsmiths interview. Yeah, man, damn! :biggrin: Big thumbs up to you.

Also, about international students, I totally agree with everyone. I've been cast into international status as well despite having a British passport because I haven't paid taxes for the last three years outside of education, and to be honest it's a little disheartening to be accepted probably just because you must pay the monies. What more, contrary to popular belief, the unis have a cap/quota for home students, not international students... so they can accept as many as they like. :/ But I'm just going to go for my best anyway.

Haha, this is basically what I took down in my portfolio, but I had a fair bit of sketchbook work too http://www.flickr.com/photos/-hamsandwich-/

Maybe the joint honours interviews are less intense? Who knows? I'm sure you'll do great anyway!
Original post by kaylafrances
:smile: what did you get last year (pass/merit/d)?

Merit, dunno how though :tongue:
Original post by somaya
rejection from csm :frown: anyone who's still waiting to hear good luck!

Hey, Sorry to hear that you didn't get accepted into CSM.. was that for the foundation course? I've applied to the foundation course, and had my interview on the 3rd of feb.
(edited 12 years ago)
Just got my Brighton rejection :/

Oh well. Two offers and three rejections sounds a bit bad, though! I guess they probably thought it was too illustrative for their course. Never mind, eh? I was expecting to have to apply through Extra; I'd already lined up Coventry's Fine Art and Illustration course, so I guess that's something.

Looks like I'm going to Loughborough, then! :smile:
Original post by Village Whisper
Just got my Brighton rejection :/

Oh well. Two offers and three rejections sounds a bit bad, though! I guess they probably thought it was too illustrative for their course. Never mind, eh? I was expecting to have to apply through Extra; I'd already lined up Coventry's Fine Art and Illustration course, so I guess that's something.

Looks like I'm going to Loughborough, then! :smile:

Thats not bad!! Thats why we have options after all.. Specially on art courses where you can never b sure how people react to work... Huge congrats for Loughborough have you accepted the offer now? Still got nothing here so i better look at Extra too. Had SO much junk in my inbox today and no interesting email at all. Going psycho waiting..
Reply 1431
Original post by Ellie1992
Hey, Sorry to hear that you didn't get accepted into CSM.. was that for the foundation course? I've applied to the foundation course, and had my interview on the 3rd of feb.

no it was for fine art ba, don't worry i think foundation students should hear back between now and the 26th :smile:
Reply 1432
i've been rejected from 3 universities of my choice, with only an interview for kingston left on monday has anyone else had there interview? i feel really disheartened and slightly unsure about what to do!
Original post by joverbena
Thats not bad!! Thats why we have options after all.. Specially on art courses where you can never b sure how people react to work... Huge congrats for Loughborough have you accepted the offer now? Still got nothing here so i better look at Extra too. Had SO much junk in my inbox today and no interesting email at all. Going psycho waiting..

It's not great, either! I think I just had it set in my mind that I was applying for Fine Art though, which is why I applied to the unis I did. I had my illustration crisis a couple of weeks after I sent it :tongue: Never mind, though, I'm happy enough with what I've got :smile:

I haven't accepted it yet, I literally just got the Brighton email (I knew it was a rejection when I saw that, since they don't go through UCAS if you have an interview). I will, but I'm just really bad at making decisions and accepting that's a pretty big one! It's funny though, nearly every student I spoke to at Loughborough also applied for NTU, but turned it down for the same reasons I have/will do.

On a side note, I just checked the Guardian league tables out of interest and Loughborough is ranked #13, which is 10 places higher than Brighton and even more for NTU. I know they don't really work for art, but there must be something good about it if it's that high!

Stop worrying! You will get in somewhere, if not everywhere! :smile:
Reply 1434
Original post by somaya
i've been rejected from 3 universities of my choice, with only an interview for kingston left on monday has anyone else had there interview? i feel really disheartened and slightly unsure about what to do!

:frown:
I know how you feel. I've been getting a load of rejections (and I'm pretty much expecting one from Glasgow at this point) and now I've just got the face the "Well what do I do now?" monster... Totally regret taking a gap year.

Anyway, enough of my moping. Good luck with your interview! As everyone else says, just be yourself. It is, after all, you and your work they're interested in.
Original post by somaya
no it was for fine art ba, don't worry i think foundation students should hear back between now and the 26th :smile:

Ah thankyou :smile: did you do your foundation at CSM?
Reply 1436
Original post by ehc
:frown:
I know how you feel. I've been getting a load of rejections (and I'm pretty much expecting one from Glasgow at this point) and now I've just got the face the "Well what do I do now?" monster... Totally regret taking a gap year.

Anyway, enough of my moping. Good luck with your interview! As everyone else says, just be yourself. It is, after all, you and your work they're interested in.

Yeah thats it i'm in a state of panic over what to do, don't worry at least until you hear, you never know!

I've just been really lazy and uninspired this year, i think i need to re-think everything good luck though as well :smile:
Reply 1437
Original post by Ellie1992
Ah thankyou :smile: did you do your foundation at CSM?

No, but i know someone who went there, and then on to the ba and loved it. I wish i had applied for a foundation there, good luck though!
Reply 1438
Haha, this is basically what I took down in my portfolio, but I had a fair bit of sketchbook work too http://www.flickr.com/photos/-hamsandwich-/

Maybe the joint honours interviews are less intense? Who knows? I'm sure you'll do great anyway!

Oh youre the one that did the pine cone box! I totally adore your work, its so fun and vibrant!
Big congrats on getting into Goldsmiths thats fantastic! Will you firm it? You got into Wimbledon as well didnt you?
Are you doing fine art (Or sculpture -jeez, I think Ive asked you before! Mind as a colander, mine is)?

SO glad Im done with all my interviews, that was a few stressy months!

So please of all the offers people are getting, its beginning to look really exciting now yeah?
Original post by Philemon
Oh youre the one that did the pine cone box! I totally adore your work, its so fun and vibrant!
Big congrats on getting into Goldsmiths thats fantastic! Will you firm it? You got into Wimbledon as well didnt you?
Are you doing fine art (Or sculpture -jeez, I think Ive asked you before! Mind as a colander, mine is)?

SO glad Im done with all my interviews, that was a few stressy months!

So please of all the offers people are getting, its beginning to look really exciting now yeah?

Thankyou! That's such a nice thing to say :smile: I'm not quite sure yet, but I think I will yeah - it's a bit of a toss up between Wimbledon (I applied for sculpture) and Goldsmiths. Goldsmiths is winning right now, it's really only the term abroad and the work placements that are making me consider Wimb. I've got an interview at Brighton tomorrow, I'm not really bothered now but it was a bit late to cancel it. Oh well, I might love it!

Where did you accept a place for? Is it that one in Wales? (I forgot it's name haha)

Exciting and terrifying! It hit me this morning that in 5 months time I'll probably be living in London - practically had a panic attack :colondollar:

Quick Reply

Latest