The Student Room Group
Liverpool John Moores University
Liverpool

Liverpool Hope?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Creative campus is nice:
You are very close to the city centre and near other uni halls supplied by JMU.

Community: It is a small campus with one main halls so the chances are you will get to know people pretty well. It is near town so you can easily get together with people and go for a meal or drinks or nightclubs without worrying about taxi fares. Freshers week is a little bit more difficult as it usually starts off at the hope campus - but there is a free shuttle bus that runs throughout the uni year that will take you to hope campus for free (and the third campus).

Appearance: The grounds are very nice. Small, but nice. Inside one of the buildings look a bit dated with a spartan look - but it seems to be a theme for most creative campus's as it is more for the students to do what they want with it.

Security: You can feel pretty safe as it is an enclosed area with a security office with staff present all the times. Most places you need your ID card to get through the doors. But of course being near town and walking back you are always going to be near some poorer areas with idiots around. I haven't heard of anyone having problems but just be safe.

That is my experience with being around it and having house mates that go to the campus. :smile: Hope that helps.
Liverpool
Reply 41
Wow I have applied there to do Health and nutrition course. It was the first uni that have answered me and I was kind of thinking of going there. They keep sending me letters that the college is really nice and people love it..but all this comments are giving me some thoughs.
Am still waiting for the other uni replies.
Reply 42
Original post by shan92
What about the creative course and the campus , has anyone got any information on them ?

it's small and friendly and there's always something going on. halls are bang next to the campus so if you stay in them you have a 30 second commute to uni. the area's a bit rough around the edges bit having studied here for 3 years, and living down the road in kensington for 2, i've never felt unsafe. i regularly walk to and from town, uni and home at night. the usual precautions apply really.

london road, 5 mins walk from uni, has lidl, tesco, tj hughes, dominos, post office, newsagents, fabric shops etc.

you don't say which course? i'm 3rd year design so can answer any questions about that.
Reply 43
I'm applying to Hope for PGCE Secondary. But honestly, it does not matter on the reputation of the university to get a job. I have a degree from Nottingham Uni and masters from Oxford Uni, but in the end, I only find happiness in teaching, so that is where I go. But, I know people that have gone to TVU (now uni of West London) which is considered lowest in all rankings, and have got into very good HR jobs etc. What matters is the extra experience you gain at University, through working somewhere. And gaining a good grade. If you have a good 2:1 or above, love your subject, can speak confidently and have good maths and english, you can do anything. At the end of the day, it is not the university employers look at, it is the grades, the experience and the person.
Reply 44
Original post by boldaslove
it's small and friendly and there's always something going on. halls are bang next to the campus so if you stay in them you have a 30 second commute to uni. the area's a bit rough around the edges bit having studied here for 3 years, and living down the road in kensington for 2, i've never felt unsafe. i regularly walk to and from town, uni and home at night. the usual precautions apply really.

london road, 5 mins walk from uni, has lidl, tesco, tj hughes, dominos, post office, newsagents, fabric shops etc.

you don't say which course? i'm 3rd year design so can answer any questions about that.

Ahh well that really helps I'm wanting to study creative and performing arts
Reply 45
Hi

I go to Liverpool Hope and I am in my second year of University doing History and Politics. My Tutor Bill Jones for British politics used to lecture at Manchester and wrote Politics UK with Philip Norton. My other tutors all have equally good resumes and and they all do external work as well as lecture.

The university social life isn't as great as many other universities but the university itself for those who are used to smaller colleges and high schools is perfect as everything is in one place and halls are right close and the other calls such as St Micheals are brillaint because they are close to the centre.

Its a good university and yes it is geared towards teaching but their other programs and degrees are equally fufilling.
Reply 46
Original post by boldaslove

yeah, it's not a bad uni at all!
Reply 47
Hi ive confirmed my place at hope in september and i couldnt be more excited! I think liverpool hope is an excellent uni the reason some people dont like it is because its a small uni compared to some (but i prefer this because u find its a lot more personal, everyone knows each other etc) and people think its rubbish because it doesnt have a good student union and bar etc...well there is a brand new student union opening in september along with other facilities bringing it up to standard with other unis (and in my opinion if your choosing a uni based on options of drinking outlets then you shouldnt be going to uni!) i live local and my mum works right next to hope, its a very nice are close to allerton road (the posh place in south liverpool to go for meals drinks etc) its also about 10 mins from city center and although theres no train station theres plenty of buses and taxis which arent too expensive. I have a lot of school friends currently in hope already and they all absolutely love it. if your looking for quality teaching in a great area with great people then i dont think you will find better.
Reply 48
[QUOTE="xoxAngel_Kxox;24382658"]I'm just finishing first year psychology and I really like it :smile: The lecturers are really good, and the seminars are interesting. I like the way they assess as well, as there are no formal exams at the end of the year, just lots of little exams and assignments during the year.

If you want to ask anything PM me :smile:[/QUOTE

Hi, I saw your latest msg that you got 2:1. Wow!
Did you attend Liverpool Hope Uni? Could you give me some advice? are the lecturers/tutors helpful? Are the materials sufficient? Do you need to buy the books or able to get the materials from the library in the Uni? I mean I read alot of negative reviews and quite concerned. Am thinking of enrolling. heard abt the strike and reduction of lecturers/tutors. am afraid of the standard etc. appreciate any of your advice on the course in this Uni. Thanks!
Reply 49
Anyone in Psychology conversion course in Hope? Is it good?

anyone stay in Aigburth campus? I am abit OCD, is the bathroom clean? Thanks
Original post by cherry31
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I'm just finishing first year psychology and I really like it :smile: The lecturers are really good, and the seminars are interesting. I like the way they assess as well, as there are no formal exams at the end of the year, just lots of little exams and assignments during the year.

If you want to ask anything PM me :smile:

Hi, I saw your latest msg that you got 2:1. Wow!
Did you attend Liverpool Hope Uni? Could you give me some advice? are the lecturers/tutors helpful? Are the materials sufficient? Do you need to buy the books or able to get the materials from the library in the Uni? I mean I read alot of negative reviews and quite concerned. Am thinking of enrolling. heard abt the strike and reduction of lecturers/tutors. am afraid of the standard etc. appreciate any of your advice on the course in this Uni. Thanks!

Hey,

First of all, the reduction in lecturers was last year, and things have stabilised a lot now that they've had time to adapt to the lower staff numbers.

I always bought the books that I needed because the library is quite small, but there are certain books that you're not allowed to actually take out and can only read while you're in there- so there is usually a copy available to hand if you need one.

My dissertation tutor was fantastic, and there are a lot of others who are great as well. If you look at a lot of other unis you'll find negative reviews as well, and people who have negative experiences are more likely to post reviews in the first place (as you'll learn if you're doing Psychology)!

With regards to the night life, if you don't mind paying £30 in a taxi to get into Liverpool then you'll be fine. I don't know what the new SU is going to be like, but the old one wasn't all that great. I can't really comment on that though as obviously I've never seen it.

The campus is lovely, and the advantage of only having a small number of students is that your tutors know you by name not just by number. I liked that, others didn't, but that's entirely personal preference.

If you're living in halls on campus then they're perfect as they're literally a 30 second walk from the lecture theatre. The other halls off campus are about a 20 minute bus ride away, but the bus is free so that's not too bad.

EDIT: Just seen you're living in Aigburth halls. I can't comment on the bathroom because that will depend on who you're living with. If you have good housemates then it will be fine, but there is a chance they won't be clean. I'm not too sure on this, but I think you get cleaners for your bathroom so if it does get messy it should only be until the next morning when the cleaners come in.

Hope that helps a little bit!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 51
Hey,

Thank you for your information! Very happy to hear about the friendliness of lecturers/tutors.

I trust you graduated this year rite? Do you think the lectures and returning of assignments better now? I am thinking of getting some used books from Amazon. Do you actually get the booklist of essential reading upon acceptance or only upon entry to Uni? Based on your study schedule, do you think there will be time to take up some part-time job as I would need one to subsidy my expenses.

Btw, my flight to London is 10 times cheaper than to Liverpool. I am thinking of taking a train from London to Liverpool. Do you think is advisable?

Cheers!
I am going into my third year at Hope, and it has been brilliant so far, the lecturers are exceptionally helpful towards you. Its is a very calm and peaceful campus, no hustling and bustling. I have lived in private halls in town centre for the past two years, and I am going to live there next year too, this is simply for the proximity of town, and stuff to do when not in lectures etc. Half hour bus drive on a morning doesn't bother me, it managed to get me woke up and ready for the day, and night ahead. Brilliant uni, not everyone's cup of tea though.
I'm looking forward to starting 2nd year at Hope. Commuting as I did first year, only because its a helluva lot cheaper and I like to be able to spend my money how I want :smile: Its a great Uni, hopefully I don't spend most afternoons in Spoons as I did first year, guaranteed a 2:1 if I put some effort in :biggrin:
Reply 54
Is anybody studying for the business management degree? If so, how is it and when do we receive the text book list?

Thanks!

Helena
Original post by Helenaa
Is anybody studying for the business management degree? If so, how is it and when do we receive the text book list?

Thanks!

Helena

When I started psych we got the book list in our first lecture. :-).
Hope this helps :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 56
Original post by chall1404
When I started psych we got the book list in our first lecture. :-).
Hope this helps :-)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

That is very helpful, thank you so much! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending