The Student Room Group

Dilemma

Hello all!
So I have always really wanted to do Midwifery but always thought as I never continued any sciences past GCSE it was unlikely that I could study it.
The recent illness of my Grandmother and how I'm going away this summer to work as a Special Needs carer in America has got me thinking that I would love to make midwifery possible for myself.
I have 11.5 GCSEs including all my sciences, A Levels in English, Drama and Media as an AS in Art. I went to uni in September 2010 and completed the first year of Media Arts with English, which I decided wasn't for me so I changed course and am currently back as a first year studying Events Management.
So my background education-wise has never been healthcare-focused but as I move through my life I'm realising how caring and passionate I am at pursuing my dream. I rushed into university without any idea of what I seriously wanted to do, which I am regretting tremendously.
I study in plymouth at the moment and quite frankly am miserable there, I always want to come home with my family near Bristol. The plan would be to leave Plymouth after my exams this year and apply for midwifery at UWE to start in 2013, as I know it is late in the year to apply and the course is full now.
I just wanted to see if anyone could reccommend actions from here?
Whether I would need to take a biology A level next year so I can get on the course or whether my level of educational experience would show my learning abilities. I really think I could do this, but would love some advice and help from anyone that could offer it :smile:

Hey, I really think that you would need a science is there any chance you could take it through college studying at night? Midwifery is over subscribed with applicants as well and a lot of people get in on their 2nd or 3rd attempt. I think you would need to get some experience through paid, voluntary work or shadowing. Best of luck :smile:
As mentioned above Midwifery is oversubscribed and many people who apply with have science or at least social science A Levels. But not all Unis ask for a science and i know people who have got in without a science A Level so it's not impossible. Email the admissions department of the Unis you're interested in to check :smile: like i said, not all unis ask for a science so you might be okay! good luck x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending