The Student Room Group
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales

Newport University Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MissBlueskys
Did a lot of people on your course go to Opal? I was told by one of the lecturers that most first years in film go there.

On my course it's about half and half, so don't let that put you off living in Caerleon. Always plenty of people around to get the bus with and sometimes it's nice being able to totally get away from uni. Bit of a pain for morning lecturers though!
On campus building at University of South Wales
University of South Wales
Reply 61
Original post by andmeaning
*cough* is a currently Documentary Film student living in Caerleon who doesn't mind the commute to city campus *cough*

how are you enjoying the course? will be firming it pretty soon once i've picked my insurance :smile:

The course seems brilliant, and chris (who interviewed me) is absolutely fantastic too :smile: my only worries are the town itself to be honest.
Reply 62
Original post by keefy
how are you enjoying the course? will be firming it pretty soon once i've picked my insurance :smile:

The course seems brilliant, and chris (who interviewed me) is absolutely fantastic too :smile: my only worries are the town itself to be honest.

I LOVE DFT. There, I said it. It's a really small course, our year had 40, the year before has 35. Because it's so small you get to know everybody on your course really well and we're like a big dysfunctional family. The majority of lecturers are lovely especially Chris Morris (who is somewhat of a legend, everybody knows him and his sweater vests). If the modules are the same next year, you'll get Chris for a really cool storytelling module where you get to make weekly films and there's some amazing guest lecturers.

I had the same reservations about Newport too, but Caerleon is lovely (currently warm and sunny and so very pretty), and cardiff is 20 minutes away by bus so you'll barely be spending any time in Newport centre itself.

Hopefully next year there'll be a shop and relaxing space in city campus so you could avoid Newport all together if you really wanted.

Wow this is turning out really long. I really love my course though. If you like fancy cameras and want to learn about pretty shots then this isn't the course for you, because in doc they really, really stress the storytelling element.
Reply 63
Original post by keefy

Oh and you're from Newcastle too!! Everybody in Newport is either from Somerset or London, prepare to have the mick taken out of you for your accent! Speaking from experience here.
Reply 64
Has anyone applied to Animation? I have my interview on wednesday :redface:
Reply 65
Original post by siriusly23
Has anyone applied to Animation? I have my interview on wednesday :redface:

Theres quite a lot applied for animation.... At least when I had my interview anyways :smile:

- Offer for DocFilm and TV :smile:
Reply 66
I have an offer for Photographic Art (I already have enough UCAS points, and I'd only need 3 Cs at A2 to get in O.o). I think I'll probably end up using it as insurance, the interview didn't go as awesomely as the one I had at SMU and the guy interviewing me didn't look at my sketchbooks at all & only flicked through my portfolio (whereas SMU-man was like 'OH MY GOD YOU USE SKETCHBOOKS I LOVE YOU"). So yeah. :smile:
Have got a conditional offer for Fashion and Advertising photography, anyone else!? :smile: xx
Congratulations on the offers! Getting close to exams is making even more excited to go university, you know minus all the panic about revision that is coming up.

Anyone going into Film and Video yet?
Reply 69
Nope :smile: but i'm doing Documentary Film and Television :smile:
Reply 70
I got an offer for Newport Film and Video, which I've firmed :smile: so excited can't wait!
Original post by emchids
I got an offer for Newport Film and Video, which I've firmed :smile: so excited can't wait!

Yay! Congrats! I am have firmed for the same course.
Reply 72
Original post by emchids

Congrats! :biggrin:
Reply 73
I have applied for a foundation degree at Newport, then after successful completion straight onto the creative writing and RS degree!
Sent my UCAS off 10 days ago and still waiting :|
Reply 74
dont expect a reply within about 3 weeks, wont happen. these things take time :smile:
Original post by vittle
I have an offer for Documentary Photography at Newport too. Although I'm not from a big city or anything, the course just looks so good I think I'd go wherever it was! And anyway, Bristol and Cardiff are only 20 minutes away and you could probably get to London or Birmingham in less than two hours.

Either way I really loved the Caerleon campus when I went for an open day and then again for my interview and I'm so glad they gave me an offer :smile:

I've confirmed my offer for the doc phot course at Newport! Did you confirm in the end? :smile:
Reply 76
Well I firmed Documentary Film and Television (240 Points) and have Film and Television Production as my Insurance at Portsmouth (160 Points)

:smile:
Original post by keefy
Well I firmed Documentary Film and Television (240 Points) and have Film and Television Production as my Insurance at Portsmouth (160 Points)

:smile:

I have firmed Film and Video so will see you around in September
Original post by MissBlueskys
Hello,

I haven't found very many forums about Newport Uni so I thought I would create one for this year's applicants.
What are you applying for? Have you had interviews/got offers yet?
I have just been to a interview for Film and Video yesterday. I really hope I get an offer because it is such a good course. I was wondering if anyone else applying for a course at the City Campus has thought about accommodation. I was told that a lot of people go into Opal but honestly I love the Caerleon Campus and would like to stay there and commute in to the City Campus.
What accommodation do you guys prefer?
I didn't get much chance to explore Newport so would love to hear about the area and the student life.

x

If you were going to stay in Caerleon then there's a bus stop near the accommodation that takes you straight to Newport Bus Station, then a 2min walk to the city campus. I think Caerleon would be a nicer place to stay because it's a bit quieter than town centre.

It's not too bad in Newport, there's lots of pubs and clubs in town centre if that's your thing (Meze, 6FU, Escapade, Fire and Ice). Lots of the shops have started to close down in town though due to most people going to Spytty retail park, Cardiff, Cwmbran etc to do their shopping. :h:
Original post by DeadGirlsDance
If you were going to stay in Caerleon then there's a bus stop near the accommodation that takes you straight to Newport Bus Station, then a 2min walk to the city campus. I think Caerleon would be a nicer place to stay because it's a bit quieter than town centre.

It's not too bad in Newport, there's lots of pubs and clubs in town centre if that's your thing (Meze, 6FU, Escapade, Fire and Ice). Lots of the shops have started to close down in town though due to most people going to Spytty retail park, Cardiff, Cwmbran etc to do their shopping. :h:

Hello,
Do you go to Newport Uni? Thanks for the information. I am quite keen on Caerleon accomodation as it is so pretty (and has gym/SU) just a little worried that more people on my course will stay in Opal near the City Campus. I have heard that most students generally go to Cardiff for night life? When I visited Newport we didn't explore much of the town but some streets did look pretty closed down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending