The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
yeah i put polypeptide and then cross it out and put phosphate sugar, wasnt too clear,

anyone know the grade boundaries for jan?

overall ok, nothing i didnt answer however seemed to be very specific in areas, thought there was going to be loads on plants and there wasnt which was good, :smile:
Reply 81
LearningMath
I hope to pick up the Unit 2 paper tomorrow or wednesday! :smile:

Awesome, thanks. Can't wait....
Hopefully, the Grade boundaries will be lower...as many people found the exam tough. The question I found hard in particular was the colorimetry one...I didn't revise any of that stuff. I just talked about benedict's test for reducing sugars and then talked about the intensity of colours in relation to concentration. Does anyone know if that's correct??
Reply 83
LearningMath
You had to talk about tar, not nicotine or carbonmonoxide or 'particles'.

But the question was about the Alveoli, and the tar doesn't get into the alveoli :eek:

I put about tar in the bronci causing irritation which leads to increased coughing causing alveoli damage, but we were also told that particulates from the smoke irrates the alveoli themselves causing the body to tihnk it's under attack (hence the presence of white blood cells) and that tar does NOT enter the Alveoli under any circumstances :s-smilie:
Reply 84
Wakeke
I think it was polypeptide, not phosphate-sugar but no point debating till we get the paper I guess :wink:.

I think i can remember the question, it was about the ... backbone in DNA. if it was polysomethin then it would have been polynucleotide.

Question 1 was about DNA: its structure, % of bases in some species, how (previous) enables scientists to find its structure, comparing RNA to DNA

Question 2- fungal digestion of cellulose -> dissacharide -> beta glucose

3- kingdoms (fungi and plantae), fungi has hyphae, multinucleate and saphrophytic. the pear tree was autotrophic and multicellular (upper epidermis + spongy mesophyll)

4- malaria + vaccination

5- white backed vultures +conservation

6- smoking and emphysema

a question about variation, wheat becoming resistant to some fungi and having a high yield was somewhere

may be wrong
Reply 85
neillya1
But the question was about the Alveoli, and the tar doesn't get into the alveoli :eek:

I put about tar in the bronci causing irritation which leads to increased coughing causing alveoli damage, but we were also told that particulates from the smoke irrates the alveoli themselves causing the body to tihnk it's under attack (hence the presence of white blood cells) and that tar does NOT enter the Alveoli under any circumstances :s-smilie:

I hope you're right because I mentioned particulates, not tar, in my answer.

To the guy above, yeah it is Benedict's test and you use colorimetry to measure the intensity of the colour. It goes from blue-green-yellow-red, so the more red the solution is, the greater the sugar concentration.
absolutely loved it! hope i can get my A
neillya1

I wrote it all up on one of these threads, 100% confident in what i wrote... there may be other explanations as well :p: .
Reply 88
was that question to do with variation, continous/discontious??
Reply 89
75 bbm for the heart rate
the G on the pie chart - I put growth?
malaria - RBC
133333 vultures
myocardium is the hear muscle?

And anyone doing paper 1, did you put a glycolipid for the curly thing?
Reply 90
Health and Disease questions, FTW!!

However, Biodiversity and the likes sucked....
Reply 91
Eddie91
I think i can remember the question, it was about the ... backbone in DNA. if it was polysomethin then it would have been polynucleotide.

Question 1 was about DNA: its structure, % of bases in some species, how (previous) enables scientists to find its structure, comparing RNA to DNA

Question 2- fungal digestion of cellulose -> dissacharide -> beta glucose

3- kingdoms (fungi and plantae), fungi has hyphae, multinucleate and saphrophytic. the pear tree was autotrophic and multicellular (upper epidermis + spongy mesophyll)

4- malaria + vaccination

5- white backed vultures +conservation

6- smoking and emphysema

a question about variation, wheat becoming resistant to some fungi and having a high yield was somewhere

may be wrong

I saw the backbone part too, which is why I initially put phosphate-sugar but then it also said held together by complementary base pairs or something so I decided it must be polynucleotide.
Reply 92
The 8 marker, the benidicts test, that was an epic fail. I didn't even revise it. I also did something stupid and put a peptide bond instead of a glysidic. ¬¬. I think a retake may be needed.

I thought the retake paper was better than Januarys although I didn't get hte beetroot question. :L
Reply 93
the exam wasn't too bad, alot of lengthy questions though.

just wanted to check a few questions..

the question about calculating the original population of vultures, i got 133333.3333 so i rounded it down to 133333. anyone else?

on the alveoli/emphysema question, i didn't write anything about tar, carbon monoxide or nicotine...i just wrote smoking causes the alveoli to lose elasticity and they burst. this means there is a smaller surface area for gaseous exchange to take place....put something bout oxygen starvation and how it might cause a stroke. is this ok? :s-smilie:
Keith_Dave
Hopefully, the Grade boundaries will be lower...as many people found the exam tough. The question I found hard in particular was the colorimetry one...I didn't revise any of that stuff. I just talked about benedict's test for reducing sugars and then talked about the intensity of colours in relation to concentration. Does anyone know if that's correct??

Loooll..

thats what i did too....

That paper was really quite hard...but i feel a bit better after looking on here...seems like my waffle could get me some marks....im not looking forward to results...:frown:
neillya1

Page 178-179 of OCR Heinemann Biology :biggrin:
that sounds about right for the alveoli question tbh.

on top of the stuff you said, i put that white blood cells are attracted to the lungs because of the infection due to build up of mucus and to get out of the lungs the white blood cells have to release some enzyme which digests elastin. hence, decreasing the elasticity of he alveoli.

hope its right D:
Reply 97
thekooks

the question about calculating the original population of vultures, i got 133333.3333 so i rounded it down to 133333. anyone else?

on the alveoli/emphysema question, i didn't write anything about tar, carbon monoxide or nicotine...i just wrote smoking causes the alveoli to lose elasticity and they burst. this means there is a smaller surface area for gaseous exchange to take place....put something bout oxygen starvation and how it might cause a stroke. is this ok? :s-smilie:

The population question you got right, you'll get some marks atleast for the alveoli question - we're not sure what causes it (tar, particulates etc.) but it is related to alveoli losing elasticity. I'm not sure about the stroke part but I guess it could technically cause a stroke if it got very bad.
Reply 98
thekooks

same. Those 2 sections were where i struggled a tad more than the others. OVerall, I'm quite happy with myself.
Priyanka1992
Loooll..

thats what i did too....

That paper was really quite hard...but i feel a bit better after looking on here...seems like my waffle could get me some marks....im not looking forward to results...:frown:

Same...according to the other brere, it was right :woo:

Missed out a whole two pages of the unit 1 exam though...:mad: the pages were stuck together, so i just flipped through both pages...Didn't realise till the end...ah well, it's only 30%

Also, did anyone else find it wierd that there was a smoker aged 13 in the last question??? :eek:

Surely, thats illegal...

Latest

Trending

Trending