The Student Room Group

A Level students- Did you expect the GCSE results you got?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Looks like I'm the only person here who did much worse than they should have at GCSE. I took it lightly, barely revised and ended up with only 2A*s, 4As and 5Bs when I was predicted all As and A*s. I still regret not putting in the work then because I did so much better at AS, so I know I was capable of doing 10x better. But ah well, I guess it didn't really matter to my uni applications or anything so meh :p:
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
You got an A* in English? Why do I find that hard to believe?:rolleyes:

ye both not thT HARD MATE
I did better in all my coursework pieces. In history by teacher was adamant I got a C which I was so disappointed with, and it turned out I got 98% hmmm....
Original post by Lollyage
Looks like I'm the only person here who did much worse than they should have at GCSE. I took it lightly, barely revised and ended up with only 2A*s, 4As and 5Bs when I was predicted all As and A*s. I still regret not putting in the work then because I did so much better at AS, so I know I was capable of doing 10x better. But ah well, I guess it didn't really matter to my uni applications or anything so meh :p:

I think I sound pretty similar to you haha. I got 2A* 4A 4B 4C... I was so disappointed on results day, haunted me ever since!
Not really a high mark (well, it is for me) but in GCSE Maths I gained a C! What's the big deal you ask? Well I'd never ever achieved a C in Maths. Recent mocks were poor (U's and E's) and I'd never attained a C in any progress report etc. Of course, I thought I was doomed to failure. However, a miracle seemed to take place and I passed! The first time I ever got a C was in the actual exam, what are the chances eh?!

The rest of my grades I'd been roughly predicted close enough to and came out overall with A*A*A*ABCCCC, so I'd say that mostly your predicted grades will be quite near the real grade you'll get.
Reply 45
I didn't think I'd get an A* at history or RE. I barely revised for RE and with history, I thought I flopped on the Native Americans bit. It had a really ambiguous question on the roles of women in the tribe, there wasn't much to build on so I had to elaborate upon my elaborations.
I remember there being a question on the Mormons which I absolutely destroyed though. xP

I wasn't expecting a B in Maths either, I'd given up on getting help in class because my teacher spent more time shouting/helping people who already had extra tuition. Mum had bought me some random work books from WHSmith that I used.

I came out with A*A*A*A*AAAAAB
Reply 46
I cam out of both my history gcse exams sure I had done badly, and I seem to remember running out of time in the second one. However, I got an A* in the end!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Was predicted 7A* 4A
Expected 4A* 6A 1B
Got 2A* 8A 1B

Wasn't too dissapointed at the time because I knew I didn't do anywork, but when I got to AS I wished I'd worked harder for GCSE's.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 48
Was predicted A*A*A*A*A*AAAAB And got A*AAAAABBCC...Completely ballsed up French and drama (my C's) and don't know what happened with history as I got an A* in my mock (although the same thing happened in my June AS paper - A in mock, E in the real thing) but dead chuffed with my B in Maths!
Reply 49
I expected to fail Product Design (I was shocking), but got an A*, and I got an A in PE which was really unexpected, but everything else was okay :smile:
Reply 50
I was predicted 11A* but this was completely unrealistic because pretty much if you were in top set you were predicted an A*. I actually got 7A*, 3A, B. I came out of my textiles exam feeling like I'd done really badly, and thought I'd just about get a B overall (coursework was A*) but I'd gotten an A*! And English was my absolute hated subject, couldn't understand why anyone would want to analyse a book that deeply and so didn't try all that hard when it came to revision and came out with an A* and an A in Lit/Lang. I actually cried on results day I was so happy!

(edited 11 years ago)
Given that, for the majority of the proceeding months I was in hospital, and basically did all my coursework there and therefore was rarely in school, the fact that I got straight A's and A*'s was rather surprising.
Thought I messed up Geography as I literally couldn't care less about it. We didn't even have a textbook to learn from. Was very lucky though and must have only scraped an A. Also Citizenship - we had about 4 lessons on it before the exam. Managed an A in that too. But was ever so slightly disappointed in a couple other subjects, I guess I set my own personal targets too high. Ended up with 4A*s and 8As overall.

Edit: I forgot English Lit - I despised it at GCSE yet I carried it onto AS o.O WHY
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
Geography I just couldn't be bothered with and got bored during the exam, but got an A* in that; so if you think geography went badly then chances are you'll have done better than you though as this was the general consensus

Reply 54
Original post by Origami Bullets
Given that I had done absolutely no work on chemistry in Y11, I was expecting a B/C in that, and got an A. On the flip side, I thought I'd get A* in Geography and Physics, but only got an A in both.

Similar thing happened to me, I didn't have a clue what I was doing in the unit 2 maths exam, thought I would get a B. I got an A*.

I thought I did well in my Geography exam and that I would get a high A but I got a low B instead.
Reply 55
Few grades were dissapointing. I got A in maths (stupid silly mistakes ruined me) and i am one of the top students for maths in our year and doing fm and recieving 95+ ums in every unit i've taken so far (c1 c2 s1 s2 m1 m2). I got A in classics which wasn't unexpected, but when i looked at units grades i was shocked - i got 3 very high a* on exams and c on my coursework (i blame the teacher). Getting A in Physics and Chemestry was dissapointing as well.. The rest i expected.
Reply 56
Thought i messed up my maths in the last module but my other modules must of bumped me up to a C :smile::smile: Did a retake of the exam the year after, did the linear paper and got a B :smile: also i got 2 D's in french and media studies :O subjects that i despised and never really payed any attention what so ever in lol, so was expecting F's. I got C's in my English somehow which i dont understand because my Cw was all A/B and i thought the exam went pretty well tbh :s-smilie:.

When i opened my results i went straight to the maths and was like YEEEEEEEEEE :biggrin: then i saw my science grade for additional which was an A and was like **** YEEEEEE then i saw my core science grade which was a B and was like Cool Then i checked my individual module results for Chemistry and saw C4C5C6 50/50ums :biggrin::biggrin:. everything else was expected :smile: C in history B in AiDa.

overall results ABBCCCCDD, could of been so much better but i didnt really try that much in anything but Science lol
Reply 57
Expected a C in English Literature, got an A :biggrin:

However, I was told I had worked to a Merit in my PE BTEC but only received a Pass.

But nevermind, it's only GCSE..
Reply 58
Hate GCSE. Finished it in one year completed 6 games while doing it! Achieved All As and a C in biology and Cs in eng lan and literature
spent 1 week revising cuz GCSE is bull ...

in general do you do better than you think in your GCSEs? (i'm a GCSE student right now in year 11)

Quick Reply

Latest