The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hey that'd be brill if u cud do that for me lol...
but i feel im all knowledged up now so cheers for the help...
its in gorton.
Reply 41
Ah ha! I had a suspicion it would be Gorton ... I really want to work there because I come from Failsworth and it would mean that I could move back to Manchester, but sadly someone else has already been selected for the job.

BTW the store in Gorton is an Extra, not a superstore. That means that it will be very big and have a large non-food range compared to a standard superstore, which means you absolutely need to try and get on Non-Food if you can!

Could you find me out an opening date for the store please as I am interested in taking a peek when it is open.

It will be interesting to see what security measures they put in place for the Gorton store. That is a tough area to run an Extra in.
Reply 42
haha i know, ive went round to where its being built today and its not the best looking place...
as far as i know it opens on the 27th october, or around that time.
Reply 43
Ubiquitous
Are there no other stores in that area? Maybe even an Express or Metro with TL vacancies?

We have one express, but I don't know if they have any vacancies at the moment,would I have to ask in there to find out?
Reply 44
reddisy
We have one express, but I don't know if they have any vacancies at the moment,would I have to ask in there to find out?

Perhaps, however, your PM should be involved in cluster meetings [where the local stores all get together and discuss issues including what vacancies are around and who needs to go on placements, etc] so she would be able to find out via these exactly what is available. That said, it wouldn't hurt to go to the Express and enquire for yourself because otherwise you will have to wait for your PM, which could take a while. :wink:
Working for Tesco is rubbish while you're a student. I worked at tesco for a year before i went to uni, and it took me another year to constantly try and get a transfer with their 'Debut Club' student support system. During this time i could only work 1 day a week coz i had to get get 2 trains and a bus back home from uni each weekend so that i could work (i was at the time applying for jobs near my uni as well) and it was sooo draining!
Tesco offered me minimal support, they made no exceptions to me for being 3 minutes late on one occasion, even though it took me nearly 2 hours to get 2 work, and when i tried numerous times to have a private meeting with one of my managers they made excuses and forgot about me. It was then that i quit :frown:
crazyunicorn133
Working for Tesco is rubbish while you're a student. I worked at tesco for a year before i went to uni, and it took me another year to constantly try and get a transfer with their 'Debut Club' student support system. During this time i could only work 1 day a week coz i had to get get 2 trains and a bus back home from uni each weekend so that i could work (i was at the time applying for jobs near my uni as well) and it was sooo draining!
Tesco offered me minimal support, they made no exceptions to me for being 3 minutes late on one occasion, even though it took me nearly 2 hours to get 2 work, and when i tried numerous times to have a private meeting with one of my managers they made excuses and forgot about me. It was then that i quit :frown:

That is a really bad experience. I have had problems with the Student Transfer Service everytime I have used it (from offering me jobs that didn't exist to transfering me to the WRONG store to telling me it wasn't their problem!) It has always been sorted out pretty quickly though.

Most people seem to have problems with the Student Transfer Service...it doesn't work very well.
Reply 47
Ubiquitous
You also wants to be a team player. Tesco has a 'one team' philosophy: the Tesco Team. Try and think of examples where you have worked well in a team, and why.

What about team 5? The rumble team? The red team? The night team? The staff netball team?? :eek:
Reply 48
I have worked at tesco for nearly a year now, i have just been offered a new full time job elsewhere. How much notice do tesco require when leaving?
Reply 49
mike101
I have worked at tesco for nearly a year now, i have just been offered a new full time job elsewhere. How much notice do tesco require when leaving?

A week. If you have holidays remaining, now is the time to use it.
Reply 50
The Student Transfer thingy is absolutely pointless. I had worked for Tesco for 2 years before I went to uni, applied for a transfer in plenty of time, but they forgot to send off my application and by the time they got round too it...all the vacancies had been filled up!! I was so annoyed, so now I have to get temporary work everytime i'm back!! arghhh!
Reply 51
I have never had any experience with this process, however I believe it is via a form on HOST that is very difficult to fill in and also something that the PM very rarely checks. It is a system that needs updating and hopefully will be now that My Workplan is being rolled out.
Ubiquitous
I have never had any experience with this process, however I believe it is via a form on HOST that is very difficult to fill in and also something that the PM very rarely checks. It is a system that needs updating and hopefully will be now that My Workplan is being rolled out.

good old HOST...the most outdated form of E-mail probably still in mass use.
Reply 53
Eek help!
Ive got a call bk for a team leader interview for a new store opening, but im a bit unsure as to whether I have a job as general assistant at the least, and how will this interivew differ from the 1st.
lou_lou87
Eek help!
Ive got a call bk for a team leader interview for a new store opening, but im a bit unsure as to whether I have a job as general assistant at the least, and how will this interivew differ from the 1st.

I can't answer the first one, but having only had my Team Leader interview a few months ago I can answer the last part. The Team Leader interview focuses on assessing whether you have the qualities required to fulfill the post of Team Leader in Tesco.

As a team leader you will be expected to demonstrate good communication and organisational skills. You'll be responsibile for a range of things including:

helping to prioritise and allocate daily tasks to the team ensuring maximum productivity

ensuring department schedules are up-to-date and accurate

managing breaks

ensuring overtime shifts are covered

completing welcome back meetings (on time)

communicating the weekly Team 5 to your team ace-to-face

handingover to your manager or another manager at the end of your shift/start of their shift (e.g. when my manager is on a day off I would hand over to one of th eother Non Food Managers before leaving my shift)

ensuring your staffs legal training is up to date and that training records are also up to date

You'll also be expected to spend 75% of your time on the shop floor carrying out CA/GA duties.

It can vary depending on your department, the above is a number of examples of what I get do in a trading area, but if you are in a service area (checkouts for example) then it will probably be different to what Team Leaders in trading do (to an extent)

In your interview you’ll be expected to demonstrate that you would be able to influence people to do what you need them to do (both your manager and the team).

In my interview I was asked to give examples of when I had coached someone and when I’ve had to do things in order to get a task completed that may have been unpopular with the team.

I don't remember it being a particularly difficult interview (my one-to-one interview at my sign on for Options (Tesco's management training programme) was far more difficult)
Reply 55
wow that sounds like a lot of responsibilty, i only wanted a simple job to keep me going for a couple of yrs while i apply for and complete a pgce :-s
Reply 56
A TL role is a big step up from GA. However, it will be great on your CV and is the next step below being a Line Manager ... I'd go for it 100%! Also, it's better pay. Scotsman can probably tell you how much more, but I think it's almost £2 an hour more.

Good luck!
The pay is indeed nearly £2 an hour extra.
Reply 58
I want it lol Will have to keep searching for a TL job in my area!
Reply 59
Right, i've got an interview at my local Tesco Extra for some part time work on Friday, I don't know the exact job thats on offer, as I handed my application in during July on the off chance something would come up in the future, and It finally has :smile:

What can I expect? I've been told the process will take about 30 minutes.

Quick Reply

Latest