The Student Room Group

How much does it cost to see a consultant privately??

Okay so I have been referred to endocrinology in the hospital. I had a letter about a week ago saying I have been put on the waiting list. My mum works in the hospital and has been trying to find out how long the waiting list actually is, and she should find out today. If the waiting list is more than 10 weeks then we are going to pay to go privately so I don't have to wait as long.. isn't this really expensive?? Does anybody know roughly how much it will cost just to have one appointment?
Reply 1
Surgeon? Medical? What specialty?

EDIT: Just seen endocrinology

Well, it depends on the consultant - it can cost around £200 for the initial consultation and £100 for followups thereafter. If you go private and are self-funded, you will be expected to pay for ALL treatment including any scans (at least I think so), where things like MRIs can amount to £1000.

You can have your first few consultations privately then ask to be switched to the consultant's NHS list.

TEN WEEKS is a very long time to wait!!

Private treatment is usually offered at a different hospital such as BUPA. Ring the consultant's secretary. If he/she knows the number of the consultant's private secretary he/she will be able to give you their number and you'll get the ball rolling quickly. Usually about 3 weeks.
Reply 2
I have no idea.. I just know that I've been referred to endocrinology?? :frown:
Reply 3
------Amy
I have no idea.. I just know that I've been referred to endocrinology?? :frown:

I edited my post :smile:
Reply 4
Spacecam
Surgeon? Medical? What specialty?

EDIT: Just seen endocrinology

Well, it depends on the consultant - it can cost around £200 for the initial consultation and £100 for followups thereafter. If you go private and are self-funded, you will be expected to pay for ALL treatment including any scans (at least I think so), where things like MRIs can amount to £1000.

You can have your first few consultations privately then ask to be switched to the consultant's NHS list.

TEN WEEKS is a very long time to wait!!

Private treatment is usually offered at a different hospital such as BUPA. Ring the consultant's secretary. If he/she knows the number of the consultant's private secretary he/she will be able to give you their number and you'll get the ball rolling quickly. Usually about 3 weeks.

Wooow that is expensive!
I think I will probably pay for the first consultation, and then see where we go from there but I'm glad you can be switched after that!
Another question, sorry, you mentioned treatment is usually offered at a different hospital. Are NHS consultants JUST for nhs? Or can you just go privately with them without having to switch hospitals? Or is every consultant/hospital different with this sort of thing (Sorry for the questions, I realise you may not actually know the answer to this, ha..).
Any consultants I've seen bill between £100-150 depending on how severe their God complex is :p: nah they've all been good. Luckily I have private health insurance.

If you've been referred on the NHS it's free... And the services can intermingle. For example, saw a rheumatologist private, got diagnosed, then he referred me onto his NHS follow up service. And if you need a prescription you'll get that on the NHS too.
Reply 6
------Amy
Wooow that is expensive!
I think I will probably pay for the first consultation, and then see where we go from there but I'm glad you can be switched after that!
Another question, sorry, you mentioned treatment is usually offered at a different hospital. Are NHS consultants JUST for nhs? Or can you just go privately with them without having to switch hospitals? Or is every consultant/hospital different with this sort of thing (Sorry for the questions, I realise you may not actually know the answer to this, ha..).

Most consultants do both NHS and Private work (because that way they get loads of money) - perhaps you'll be able to see him/her at an NHS hospital, but Private Clinics are usually held in private Hospitals.

Every consultant is different. You need to find out who you are being referred to first, what for, then ring his/her secretary to sort out private consultations.
Reply 7
Some private consaltants have there appointments in a different department of the nhs hospital as they usually do both - well that happened for me when I saw the rhumatologst anyway. Have a look on your hospital website it may tell you.
Reply 8
Weell I found out that the consultant doesn't see private patients.. and the waiting list is actually 10 weeks long. Grr. So it's back to the referral process again for me :frown:
------Amy
Weell I found out that the consultant doesn't see private patients.. and the waiting list is actually 10 weeks long. Grr. So it's back to the referral process again for me :frown:

10 weeks isn't actually that long a waiting list btw. I had to wait 4 weeks to see a private rheumatologist! Some waiting lists where I live are well over a year.

What sort of consultant is it? If you're desperate, you could ask to be referred privately to a different consultant.
Yeah, any endocrinology consultant will do. When they've done investigations and decided on a diagnosis they can relay all the info back to your nhs consultant if need be.
Hi
I am William, please can you recommend some rheumatology in London please????????. Is urgent please
i paid 250 for my initial appointment with a consultant surgeon.

Quick Reply

Latest