The Student Room Group

Oxford PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Well in fairness, dozens get in each year who apply for the prestige. Just be ready to not massively enjoy your course. Which, with a PPE workload, isn't the best of propositions...
RxB
oh ffs, if you're not interested in PPE don't apply for it. I don't believe that you can be interested enough to do it if you don't want to apply for it anywhere else. If you're applying on the prestige, good luck, I guess, I wouldn't hold any hope out.

If the thing I want is Oxbridge (applying on the prestige as you thought), I won't ask the question here and will just go for Economics in Cambridge or Maths in any of the two as my Oxbridge application tutor said I hold a better chance to get into straight economics and maths. (PS: The personal statement will be perfect as well! :eek: )

So why do I make trouble with myself? Don’t I want to an easy life? :confused:

:rolleyes: Well, as I mentioned in the previous posts, I love PPE soooooooooo much and am keen on all the three areas. Honestly it’s the best course I’ve ever seen—a perfect combination of all my interests.

But the thing is we're living in a real world and one can not just do everything they like and ignore the job prospect, especially s/he comes from a background same as me. :redface: I am an oversea student, I left my family in an early age and travelled thousands miles away from East Asia to England. The opportunity cost for me to do a not practical enough” course in an unknown university (no offense at all, you know I love it as much as you, but my tutor strongly suggested me not to do it as it’s master of none and it is true…) is much higher than most of others.

I know social welfare in many countries makes it unnecessary for people to struggle for money. But I can’t just do what ever I want because I have my responsibility for my family and my country. Considering my situation, to some extent, don’t u think it's unfair to say: “you’re applying on the prestige’? :cool:

I am not blindly thinking that the fame of a university tops the specific major or to rush for hot majors regardless of my real condition. I am trying to achieve a balance in my interests and job prospect.

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks a lot. :tsr:
Reply 62
OK, do you want to read my post before you say I think you're applying on the basis of prestige? My post about it was preceded by the word "if".

Honestly, though, do you really reckon that a PPE degree from Durham, Warwick or York would be a disaster?

Saying you have responsibility for your country seems either silly or unsubstantiated.
I did say I don't want to apply for PPE in other five choices, so your comment was not based on "if".
And I don't think there is any course in the UK top 50 universities should be described as " a disaster". If anybody says that, I'll come out in defense of it.

OK, I'll stop there as I don't want to find fault with wording. It's quite harsh to be fastidious about trifles. Apologies if I offended you.

My original intention is seeking help from the experienced pupils in TSR.

Thank you very much for your reply, at least, now, I know a Hertford PPEist, a well-respected and warmhearted TSR member (honestly, I think you're very kind, coz I read loads of ur posts before and learnt a lot) wouldn't hold any hope out for my application. It might be necessary for me to reconsider my subject choices again after I get the results.:smile:
Reply 64
Hi i want to apply 4 ppe at ox. 4 2006, has any1 else done their ps, cos we were made to write a draft, could some1 have a look over it please ?? i think i end up sounding like a complete **** , ooooooooo yeah do you think doing fast maths is a good idea, 4 applying 4 PPE/ economics + politics/phill?

as:hist. geog. econ. chem. art.
Reply 65
What the hell is fast maths?
bigluce
Hi i want to apply 4 ppe at ox. 4 2006, has any1 else done their ps, cos we were made to write a draft, could some1 have a look over it please ?? i think i end up sounding like a complete **** , ooooooooo yeah do you think doing fast maths is a good idea, 4 applying 4 PPE/ economics + politics/phill?

as:hist. geog. econ. chem. art.

I guess you mean further maths?

Numerical skill is very important (or essential? ) for economics I'd say. If you have an A* in GCSE maths then it will be fine for PPE. Otherwise I strongly recommend you to pick up AS maths next year.
Indeed, much of the literature in economics is difficult to understand without a mathematical background.
Well I've had a swarm of personal statements attacking me from various TSR members over the past few days.

I continue my offer, if you want to have a look e-mail me at [email protected]

But remember if you have a university officer at your school he is probably better equipped to help you than I, nonetheless I will give any advice I can.

Cheers
Reply 68
Mate, get a job. Seriously.
what are you doing inthe holidays mr h&e?
Reply 70
Oh not. Not another not stalker.

EDIT: Though I do appreciate people finally starting to show me the respect I'm due, referring to as mr.
I'll take that as an 'I'm not answering the question because I'm a lazy bastard too'
Reply 72
Do what you like. I'm not insecure enough to jump to a furious defence the second someone who doesn't know anything about me starts criticising me...
Oh but I was just trying to stir things up... <rollseyes>

/irony
Reply 74
On the topic of the thread starter, I was just wondering what people's reasons are for concluding that the PPE course at Durham is weaker (or whatever other word one could use to appear more diplomatic). No one on TSR appears to do PPE at Durham, which says something. And before I get a string of websites - I'VE LOOKED!!
Reply 75
I was the one who got excoriated for my comment about Durham but all I actually said was "a few people have told me that Durham's course has been in a lot of trouble and it would probably not be advisable to go there".

I don't really know the details, just been told that the course is badly put together and Durham isn't particulary good for any of the three disciplines. The people who told me this are i) the architect of Warwick's PPE course ii) a PPE graduate from Oxford and iii) the universities adviser at my school. It could just be a rumour but I'd choose Warwick or York over Durham.
wow this thread is impressive :smile:
Reply 77
Amrad
I was the one who got excoriated for my comment about Durham but all I actually said was "a few people have told me that Durham's course has been in a lot of trouble and it would probably not be advisable to go there".

I don't really know the details, just been told that the course is badly put together and Durham isn't particulary good for any of the three disciplines. The people who told me this are i) the architect of Warwick's PPE course ii) a PPE graduate from Oxford and iii) the universities adviser at my school. It could just be a rumour but I'd choose Warwick or York over Durham.

Thanks for that!
Just wondered - what are your thoughts on the Warwick PPE course? (This is directed to everyone, not just Amrad. It seems a little more maths based (according to the subject outline), but other than that, are there any other differences which are unlikely to appear on any prospectus? Thanks again, everyone.
Reply 78
Since the course is so new there can be little opinion of experience around.

The things I have noticed are:
- Warwick is excellent for all three branches, and especially outstanding for Economics and Politics
- They are making a concerted attempt at an multidisciplinary approach, with the third year main course being 'Principles of Political Economy'
- If you so wish you can take options that lead you to a BSc Economics
Queen_A
On the topic of the thread starter, I was just wondering what people's reasons are for concluding that the PPE course at Durham is weaker (or whatever other word one could use to appear more diplomatic). No one on TSR appears to do PPE at Durham, which says something. And before I get a string of websites - I'VE LOOKED!!

Because it doesn't have the reputation for PPE that Oxford has. PPE at Oxford is very possibly their most famous course (certainly would be in the top 3), it is internationall renowned. When you get out of Uni and apply for a job they will look at three things.

Quality of Degree (1st, 2:1 etc)
Quality of University
Reputation of course

Generally Oxford graduates get decent degree's in PPE (about 85% get 1st's or 2:1's), the University is probably the joint best in the country and the course has an excellent repuation.

For that reason it is a stronger course than Durham's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending