The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Surrey 2012 Applicants Thread!

Scroll to see replies

anyone going to the Maths UCAS day on the 7th December?
Or has anyone been to one before? I don't have a clue what to expect in the 'informal interview' :/

I am going to this! I have no idea what to expect, apparently they ask you a maths question and I am peeing myself! ahah! Just look over you personal statement and know why you want to study maths? x
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
got an interview for nursing next thursday woooooooooooo x
I'm also applying for EEE, got an offer! Really like it there, might pick it as my first choice...
Reply 63
Electronic Engineering is very good at the uni, friendly lecturers, good mix of lab work with theory and decent facilities.
Hi all!

Applied for Electronic & Computer Engineering and have an UCAS day next Wednesday. Really nervous as I do not know what to expect, any pointers from anyone will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks. :-)
Original post by hollybee999
I am going to this! I have no idea what to expect, apparently they ask you a maths question and I am peeing myself! ahah! Just look over you personal statement and know why you want to study maths? x

Its very informal! No need to worry.my interview was a distater and i got a very easy question wrong but got an offer 2/3 days later.

Seriously dont stress. The interview is such a small part of the day and most of the day they are persuading you to make them your first choice. They give you a tour, lunch, lecture, then before you go home they invite you into their office for a chat. They give you a maths question based on your level (mine was integration i should have been able to do because i had already completed the A-level but they probably wouldnt ask you that if you hadnt taken C4 yet). They try and get you on the placement year but if you are unsure but think you might lik eto do it you can always put yourself down for a yes and change later. They might ask a bit about your PS but not much. They will ask if your living at home or on campus and thats about it.

Dress code is smart but dont over do it. avoid jeans and hoodies and you will be fine.

Good luck
Reply 66
Original post by MentalistMohan
Hi all!

Applied for Electronic & Computer Engineering and have an UCAS day next Wednesday. Really nervous as I do not know what to expect, any pointers from anyone will be greatly appreciated,

Thanks. :-)

I applied last year for Electronic Engineering and had an interview, so I was in the same position as you.

The day basically consists of listening to a few talks about the course, accommodation, stuff like that, then you get a free lunch, and then you'll go to your interview in the afternoon.

I personally wore a suit for the day, but I like to be professional and dress smart, even if it says smart/casual, I feel it helps to set a good impression.

Remember to smile, to greet your interviewer, to ask them how their day was, etc, just be friendly. The questions they'll ask will mostly be of the type, "Why did you choose this course", "Why did you choose this university", "What do you feel you want to do in the future", and things like that. Try to be enthusiastic with your answers, expand whenever possible. Be honest. If they ask you why you chose the course, and you answered that you were mainly in it for the money, say so! It'll probably be amusing for them :smile:

By way of technical questions, I was quite surprised to find out I only had one simple maths differentiation to do, which my interviewer just wrote down on a piece of paper and asked me to do. That's it. However, there has been a rise in the number of applicants every year, so I really would do a little revision on maths or physics topics, in case it's more difficult this year.

I'm now about to finish my first semester at Surrey, doing Electronic Engineering.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by DaWnKiLLa
I applied last year for Electronic Engineering and had an interview, so I was in the same position as you.

The day basically consists of listening to a few talks about the course, accommodation, stuff like that, then you get a free lunch, and then you'll go to your interview in the afternoon.

I personally wore a suit for the day, but I like to be professional and dress smart, even if it says smart/casual, I feel it helps to set a good impression.

Remember to smile, to greet your interviewer, to ask them how their day was, etc, just be friendly. The questions they'll ask will mostly be of the type, "Why did you choose this course", "Why did you choose this university", "What do you feel you want to do in the future", and things like that. Try to be enthusiastic with your answers, expand whenever possible. Be honest. If they ask you why you chose the course, and you answered that you were mainly in it for the money, say so! It'll probably be amusing for them :smile:

By way of technical questions, I was quite surprised to find out I only had one simple maths differentiation to do, which my interviewer just wrote down on a piece of paper and asked me to do. That's it. However, there has been a rise in the number of applicants every year, so I really would do a little revision on maths or physics topics, in case it's more difficult this year.

I'm now about to finish my first semester at Surrey, doing Electronic Engineering.

Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you for such a lengthy answer, this will help a lot, congratulations on finishing your first semester! I hope you are enjoying it :-)
Reply 68
Original post by ohhaiikim
Thank you! Yeah, it's not just an interview though, there are 2 short tests you have to do as well.

Oh, that sounds...fun. Well I hope it went brilliantly today anyway (:
got an offer for accounting & finance last week :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by iona.carys
Oh, that sounds...fun. Well I hope it went brilliantly today anyway (:

Thanks, the tests weren't bad, but the interview seemed to have gone worse the others :frown:
Reply 71
Chem Eng offer :biggrin:
Original post by Cath-ay
Chem Eng offer :biggrin:

received it today?...what grades do you need?
ohh and well doneee :biggrin:
Reply 73
Original post by pakizrulez

received it today?...what grades do you need?
ohh and well doneee :biggrin:

Thanks :smile: Yeah I got it today, I didn't realise until this guy told me to check my email :tongue: AAB for MEng :smile:
Good luck with your interview! I'm sure you'd get an offer too :smile:
Original post by Cath-ay
Thanks :smile: Yeah I got it today, I didn't realise until this guy told me to check my email :tongue: AAB for MEng :smile:
Good luck with your interview! I'm sure you'd get an offer too :smile:

lol ive got it on wednesday my interview, how was your day there?..and thanks i hope i do. is surrey one of your top choices?
Original post by ohhaiikim
Thanks, the tests weren't bad, but the interview seemed to have gone worse the others :frown:

When did you have your interview and tests?

I had mine on Thursday.
Reply 76
lol ive got it on wednesday my interview, how was your day there?..and thanks i hope i do. is surrey one of your top choices?

You'll be fine :smile:
it was alright :smile: just a chance to familiarise yourself with equipment, course, lecturers etc. yup :smile: is it one of yours?
Original post by Cath-ay
You'll be fine :smile:
it was alright :smile: just a chance to familiarise yourself with equipment, course, lecturers etc. yup :smile: is it one of yours?

nopee i want to go loughborugh or aston :smile:
Unconditional offer for Politics with Policy Studies :smile:
Reply 79
Original post by KingGoonIan
When did you have your interview and tests?

I had mine on Thursday.

I had it on Wednesday (7th)

Quick Reply