The Student Room Group

Are people scared of homosexual people?

Scroll to see replies

Why would someone be scared of a gay person? If a bite of a gay person turned straight people gay, that could be a rational fear.

People who are scared are either religious/stupid/insecure with their sexuality/think gay people are less than human.

Edit - all types of relationships should be taught in schools just so children know it is normal. It wouldn't suddenly turn everyone gay.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by seanfromtheblock
Christ not another thread about gays. This seems to be overtaking Islam as TSR's fixation.

:s-smilie: Not on topic...
It's really sad that five people are scared of homosexual people. They probably don't know any in person...
Reply 23
Original post by FinalMH
In the news recently homosexual people want more rights marriages etc.. TSR on a recently poll has given its backing to gay marriages. We are starting to allow gay people to play a bigger role in society. This is all fine! :smile:

My question is to people are you scared? (I don't have opinion on the matter)If you were to have a kid would you want him to be taught about homosexuals, heterosexual,Asexual,Bisexual?

People have this mentality on here that if you're against your kids being taught this you are against people being homosexual? Is this fair? I don't know if their is any correlation between being taught it in class and people coming out of the closet.

For the people who vote No. Do you agree it should be introduce (taught) into schools? :smile:

I don't think any sexual habits should be taught to children, especially not at such a young age. It seems utterly perverse and pretty creepy to educate kids about this sort of thing. Why not let them enjoy some peaceful innocence for a few years. I'm sure they find out for themselves anyway in due course. I did. We all did. I never had any indoctrination classes in primary school telling me that it is awesome when men bum each other, and I didn't grow up hating fags.

The obvious question that's raised is which sexual practices or types of relationship should we present to the kids, and which should we not? And how do we decide?
Reply 24
The only time I'll be scared of a homosexual is if one of them came running towards me with a chainsaw screaming "Come to daddy!" Otherwise.. no
Reply 25
Original post by NB_ide
I don't think any sexual habits should be taught to children, especially not at such a young age. It seems utterly perverse and pretty creepy to educate kids about this sort of thing. Why not let them enjoy some peaceful innocence for a few years. I'm sure they find out for themselves anyway in due course. I did. We all did. I never had any indoctrination classes in primary school telling me that it is awesome when men bum each other, and I didn't grow up hating fags.

The obvious question that's raised is which sexual practices or types of relationship should we present to the kids, and which should we not? And how do we decide?

I don't remember being taught about sexual practices much at school. Just plain old heterosexual vaginal intercourse. Thing is though, why is it in PSHE that they basically said that straight couples should use condoms, and that's about it? And why did they not even address the possibility that a person might be gay? Or, shock horror, not interested in sex?
Reply 26
Original post by najinaji
I don't remember being taught about sexual practices much at school. Just plain old heterosexual vaginal intercourse. Thing is though, why is it in PSHE that they basically said that straight couples should use condoms, and that's about it? And why did they not even address the possibility that a person might be gay?

They specifically said straight couples should use a condom? Thus alluding to the possibility of non-hetro sex but not addressing it?

Or, shock horror, not interested in sex?

I don't see why they would have to tell people that. If you're not interested then you're not interested. The class is about sex, not "not sex".
Reply 27
Original post by NB_ide
They specifically said straight couples should use a condom? Thus alluding to the possibility of non-hetro sex but not addressing it?

Nope, they only mentioned contraception in reference to heterosexual sex, as if no other type of sex exists, or somehow homosexual couples are immune to STDs.

I don't see why they would have to tell people that. If you're not interested then you're not interested. The class is about sex, not "not sex".

Yes, but it's difficult to know in this society whether you're 'not interested' or not because you're hardly ever told that 'not interested' is a possibility.
The poll asked "Are people scared of homosexual people?" to which the answer has to be yes. I'm highly tolerant of gays, although I don't see what there is to be intolerant of, but a large minority are still raised with the mindset that homosexuality is unnatural or that it threatens them and their 'good family values'. This is especially true of people with very right wing or religious upbringings... probably more in the US than here.
I'm gay and look at how much I've been negged. :frown:
Original post by Picnic1
I would say that more women are scared of homosexual men than men are. Homosexual men - or those in touch with their feminine side- are a threat to the ego of those women who like to regard themselves as the most 'sensitive' sex.

On the other hand, some equally insecure men or women choose to 'love' being around homosexuals because what they see as their feyness makes them feel more strong by comparison.

I think you'll find that women are more likely to support LGBT rights as compare to straight men. In fact, LGBT social movements owe quite a lot to feminist movements of 60s and 70s. :smile:
I'm terrified of fish sticks
gay people arent normal
exactly^
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
I wish to see evidence that the 'homosexual symptom' is not contagious.

Actually, in science the onus of proof is the other way around. Effects like contagiousness must be proven, not disproven prior to evidence in favour of contagiousness being adduced.
Original post by Singh_2
I don't mind homosexual people unless they act homosexual in front of me.

You have the same attitude toward heterosexuals, I assume?
Original post by Respect3595
gay people arent normal

I'm assuming from the lack of logically-grounded arguments in your post that you have none to offer? These kinds of statements referring to 'normality' are typically grounded in emotion rather than logic anyway, and are thus by-and-large fallacious.
Original post by Retrodiction
I'm assuming from the lack of logically-grounded arguments in your post that you have none to offer? These kinds of statements referring to 'normality' are typically grounded in emotion rather than logic anyway, and are thus by-and-large fallacious.

Forgive me father :frown:
Original post by Ascendansy
People are trying to appear politically correct by pretending that they're fine with gay people getting married.

Deep down I know its wrong, and so do you. If your kid walked up to you and shared the news of him/her coming out - I'd feel extremely uncomfortable.

Marriage is a social construct, so it's not 'wrong' in any meaningful sense. Today's unaccepted social values are tomorrow's accepted social values. This is the way that society works, and there's absolutely no logically-grounded argument demonstrating that today's social values are superior to tomorrow's simply because they're what we have today.

Why would you feel uncomfortable about your child being something they had no choice in being? It's like feeling extremely uncomfortable about finding out your child is diabetic. It's just the way they are, so there's no point acting as though it was deliberately chosen.
Reply 39
Original post by Productoflabour
Its not fear. It's just ignorance and a lack of exposure to different kinds of people. Not just gay people all kinds. If you only leave your town to go on holiday to Spain then your not going to have a very large world view.

Then there are those that have had life experience and are homophobic regardless those people just like to hate.

You've been watching Little Britain too much, there's usually more than one gay in the village. You don't need to go to Thailand or a world tour to see that.

Quick Reply