The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2012

Scroll to see replies

9 down and 3 to go, followed by a month or so of sitting at the computer constantly refreshing my email until...REJECTION, REJECTION, REJECTION. Whoop!!!
Reply 461
The portal system is a nightmare to use, but to be fair, the applications look quite presentable when they are in PDF form.
Original post by andymt
The portal system is a nightmare to use, but to be fair, the applications look quite presentable when they are in PDF form.

Yes, I was quite surprised about this. I'm sure they didn't look like that last year.

Right, all twelve done. Thank god for that.
anyone else awake/doing OLPAS?!
Original post by third time lucky

Yup, I'm on the night shift.

I have not been to bed before 3 every day so far this week - various pieces of work and now OLPAS. All good fun.
Reply 465

Awake yes, but Non-olpas......

Got the slight feeling that non-olpas are even stricter as they even ask for O and A level grades with all the names of the subjects etc.
Original post by zara82
Awake yes, but Non-olpas......

Got the slight feeling that non-olpas are even stricter as they even ask for O and A level grades with all the names of the subjects etc.

I have five (eugh) more OLPAS to do. And one non-OLPAS to finish.

Good Luck Inner Temple, you sound snowed-under. :smile:
Good Luck Inner Temple, you sound snowed-under. :smile:

Thanks! I have called it a day now. All my OLPAS applications are in. About 8 targeted applications and 4 general 'have a go' types.

Time for some sleep before starting on the rest of my hit list - which are non OLPAS.

Good luck to everyone still awake!
Reply 468
1 King's Bench Walk: is anyone having trouble sending the form? Or could give me a hand as to how to send it? It's a PDF, but is in a bizarre 'work flow' which my email is refusing to acknowledge is even a thing.
Reply 469
Original post by tnedutS waL
I can't even open the bloody thing! Downloaded the new Adobe reader too! Which version have you got? May have to download an older version or just forget about it this year :frown:

EDIT: nevermind have managed to get it, will let you know if I have any other problems too!

Managed to send it?
Reply 470
Original post by Kessler`
Why not fill the remaining 5 slots?

I don't see the point in applying to sets in places I have no desire to work in. I'd rather put the effort into Chambers I want to go to rather than applying to 12 for the sake of it.
Original post by Alexr115
I don't see the point in applying to sets in places I have no desire to work in. I'd rather put the effort into Chambers I want to go to rather than applying to 12 for the sake of it.

The benefit is (hopefully) additional interview practice; this would assist with interviews at the chambers you do want to join.
Original post by Wildman
Personally I would take a pupillage anywhere, even though that would maybe mean I'd end up earning less than half of my current salary.

Oh ditto that. I didn't mention it just because others might not feel the same. I think it would take a huge pair of onions to turn down a pupillage offer (if it was your only one) just because you did not want to work there.
Reply 473
Original post by olpasdisliker
Oh ditto that. I didn't mention it just because others might not feel the same. I think it would take a huge pair of onions to turn down a pupillage offer (if it was your only one) just because you did not want to work there.

All boils down to personal reasons, some may find it easy to relocate from one part of the country to the other whereas others may not.
Reply 474
Oh no. I checked my words around 1000 times. but after I sent them all out I noticed two spelling errors on them (in the section that you wouldnt be able to change anywhere coz they locked...).

Seems like I can give up hope now already:frown:
Reply 475
I have a serious case of nodding head syndrome having stayed up way past my bed time finishing non-olpas apps. There seem to be very few of us here this year.... surprising considering there were well over 12,000 apps on portal.

I, in the days before OLPAS panic set in, compiled a schedule of when pure crime sets notified of first rounds/when the first rounds were/when they notified of second rounds last year. I am barely computer literate and so can't post it but if anyone wants me to send it to them then let me know.
All boils down to personal reasons, some may find it easy to relocate from one part of the country to the other whereas others may not.

Absolutely. I don't have a family with children so am pretty free to move around. Others would of course have to weigh up risk of never being offered pupillage again against the difficulty in relocating. I still think my onions comment applies though.

I can accept not wanting to relocate, but the benefits of interview practice alone must surely outweigh the "danger" of having to relocate. Believe me, that practice makes a massive difference when you get to a chambers you really want.

It's a bit too late for OLPAS now, but I urge anyone in a similar position to maximise their opportunity by making as many apps as possible.
Hi,

Is anyone still waiting to receive confirmations for their submissions on OLPAS? I sent 3 applications between 10 and 11 and none have been confirmed yet by email or on the system - so it's been 2 hours for one of them. (the ones sent before 10 all were confirmed).

Should I take that to mean "pfft, jog on, sunshine?" or is everyone on their lunchbreak?

Prior experience/madcap theories/snide comments about how unorganised people don't deserve pupillage - all welcome.
Reply 479
Original post by zara82
Oh no. I checked my words around 1000 times. but after I sent them all out I noticed two spelling errors on them (in the section that you wouldnt be able to change anywhere coz they locked...).

Seems like I can give up hope now already:frown:

FYI, I made a few mistakes in my apps last year and thought it might be the end of my OLPAS luck, but still managed to get interviews. So don't give up all hope just yet!

Quick Reply