The Student Room Group

AQA french reading gcse May 17th

Hi, was just wondering how everyone found the exam. Personally I found it quite easier, especially in comparison to the listening. Yet other people found it very hard. So what did you all think? :smile: Good luck to all of you

Scroll to see replies

yeah i thought it was a nice paper :smile: What did you get for the horse question?? and the Senegal one and the travel one and the mothes day one !? ahah sorry I didnt really get time to check so I was just wondering what other people got!!!
Reply 2
For the senegal one, I put that she is grateful for the fact that her dad has got a job and that they can afford to eat :s-smilie: People died in the sea trying to travel and that rarely happens, the boy is a footballer for a well known, national team and that she cant get a job because of the increase in unemployment, making it harder to find one :s-smilie:
Yeah thats like practically the same as me!! I got she is grateful that they her dad has a job and that they have enough to eat :smile: I got the same thing about people dying in the sea, but then my friends said it was "ils réussissent rarement" or something which was just a general statement about people rarely succeeding getting to other countries So i dunno ... :/ they might accept both!! and then i put her brother could become a professional European football player and so her family to go and live in france :smile: and she would find it difficult to get a job because of unemplyment in france :smile:) xox
Reply 4
So we got pretty similar answrs :smile: what grade aare you aiming for? :smile:
Reply 5
Did you put poubelle for the first one??
Reply 6
1. Dustbins, by car, week, lazy
2.N, P/N, N, P/N,P-c'est pas la peine means it is not worth it by the way.
3.BDF for the jobs (the restaurant is new, they are daytime jobs and the cinema is looking for a cleaner0.
4.Parents are encouraged to make journeys less stressful for children. They can buy little toys or holiday books for children. The advantages for motorway travel is that you can stop in rest areas and have a bit of exercise and get some fresh air. Then for the disadvantages of flying I put bad weather can make you stay longer than expected, and and the times are always indeterminable.
5 (can't remember).
6.Mothers day-(i can't remember the order)
the greeks celebrated mothers in winter -false (they did it in spring).
the french started celebrating mothers after the world war -true.
it is celebrated in all european countries- ?
the children in canada buy presents for their mothers (they make them).
napoleon gave medals to mothers-false(it was his idea but it only happened after his death)
People send cards- ?
I think there is one more but I can't remember.
7.the girl in senegal.
She is lucky because her dad has a job and they have enough food to eat. People rarely succeed in reaching other countries for work because they die or are stopped on the coast of morocco. There are some charities who give people what they need to live-thats what stops poverty. And her brother might get chosen to play football in europe so they might get to move to france. She can't get a job because the level of unemployment is very high at 50%.
8.She likes working with horses because she likes to evaluate skills of people and horses before the rides, and she likes the safety aspect of it. however she might have reservations because there will be nothing to do in the months where there aren't many visitors, and she doesn't like preparing the horses or getting them ready.
The boy is suited to working in a travel agents because he has done lots of travelling as a family and also he has learnt a lot during his work experience. He is worried because the holidays are expensive and he is worried people won't do them much in the future, which is a problem for him because the travel shops risk closing and he won't be able to find the job he wants.
Reply 7
What do you think it will be out of 45 for an A*?
Reply 8
Original post by Bobby2
What do you think it will be out of 45 for an A*?

the lowest has been 34/45 and the higher 36/45, so probably in that region.
Reply 9
Original post by Bobby2
Did you put poubelle for the first one??

yeah, you take out the trash :P

for the senegal one i got the same answer pretty much, except I wrote that people rarely die at sea when they try to leave the country haahahah
I am aiming for an A* :smile: Fingers crossed!! and milworthy I almost got exactly the same as you, only for the aeroplane one I put
1. Wait longer that you thought because of bad weather
2. Waiting time before your flight is endless (interminable )
for the Senegal one I put "European charities provide the necessities" --> Do you think i'd get that mark :/
And i thought that it was saying why would she find it difficult to get a job in france, so i put because the high levels of unemployment in france, not the 50% thing :/// and im pretty sure i got a couple of the horse ones wrong but oh well :P xox
Reply 11
I thought it went alright, The only problem was the horses one when it said about what reservations she had, I didn't know what it meant :s-smilie: :L Hopefully A* :biggrin:
Reply 12
I got most of the same answers! except I thought the airport one was that there is a long waiting time before departing and more than often there are delays due to bad weather! I found some of the mobile phone ones hard and the mother's day one hard too! the horse one was pretty vague too if i'm honest!
Reply 13
I think I have got about 35/45 which will hopefully be an A*, I just mmade stupid mistakes on the mother's day questions :/
Reply 14
Original post by milworthy

3.BDF for the jobs (the restaurant is new, they are daytime jobs and the cinema is looking for a cleaner0.

^ Hey for this question, didn't it say tous les apres-midi? for the bakery?
So surely that means it is an afternoon job?
Reply 15
But if you actually eliminated the other answers, I was actually left with BDF
You guys must have photographic memories.. all I remember is that I struggled with one queston: 8b about horses. :rolleyes:

But I found the test alright, and think that I lost around 5 marks; so I'm quite happy with myself.

Oh yeah, now I remember.. did you guys put 'poubelle' for the first question, hehe. I was guessing that 'je sors' means I empty and I know that 'poubelle' means dustbin.
Reply 17
I got BDF for that question too, because afternoon is still daytime, not night time if you get me? :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by Bobby2
For the senegal one, I put that she is grateful for the fact that her dad has got a job and that they can afford to eat :s-smilie: People died in the sea trying to travel and that rarely happens, the boy is a footballer for a well known, national team and that she cant get a job because of the increase in unemployment, making it harder to find one :s-smilie:

Got exactly the same as you
Original post by toreilly102
I thought it went alright, The only problem was the horses one when it said about what reservations she had, I didn't know what it meant :s-smilie: :L Hopefully A* :biggrin:

Same, but I guessed. I thought it could mean what reservations she had in terms of what type of job she wants to do on the ranch: looking after the horses and being responsible for checking them over before they are ridden. :s-smilie:

But yeah, as I said - I guessed.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply