The Student Room Group

If I do a 'year 14', will my ambition of a career in Dentistry shatter?

I think I screwed up my A-level exams this week and I'm 99% certain that I will not even be close to meeting my offer for BDS Denistry, in August; when my results come out. :frown:

I have no health issues and there's no real reason for my slacking this year, just laziness and naivety.

So I'll have to resit my A2 Chemistry exams next January (independent study, I don't think I need a teacher to guide me).

Since Dentistry is so very competitive, and since I'm resiting exams after A2 which is considered a 'year 14', do you think I will even have a chance of getting accepted if I get the necessary grades?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
hi, although i'm still doing my gcse's (i messed up too), i want to be a dentist when i'm older. i checked a few uni's (in london) and most of them do not accept resits unless under extreme circumstances. but i'm sure you have done ok! i might be wrong though but you need to check the entry requirements for different universities. it is all written on there x

edit : check this link. it's very useful

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Entry_Requirements
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
This is what I hate about the UCAS application system. Uni's should atleast wait until the final A level grades are given out and then give out offers.
Reply 3
Original post by ice_man
I think I screwed up my A-level exams this week and I'm 99% certain that I will not even be close to meeting my offer for BDS Denistry, in August; when my results come out. :frown:

I have no health issues and there's no real reason for my slacking this year, just laziness and naivety.

So I'll have to resit my A2 Chemistry exams next January (independent study, I don't think I need a teacher to guide me).

Since Dentistry is so very competitive, and since I'm resiting exams after A2 which is considered a 'year 14', do you think I will even have a chance of getting accepted if I get the necessary grades?

Your chances of getting in will be much more reduced. It would be best to contact all the universities you are thinking about applying to, if you have to resit. Failing that there is always post grad. But you never know you may be pleasantly surprised in August.

Quick Reply

Latest