The Student Room Group

Is underbutt the new cleavage?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by py0alb
They're trying to look attractive to the opposite sex and feel happy and confident about the way they look. The same reason I wash my hair and shave every morning and select my clothes with care so they are flattering, and so, presumably, do you. Where's the problem?

Why don't women just walk around in thongs? Why draw a line. It's arbitrary and subjective and my line is in a different place to yours quite obviously. We don't have a formula for decency.

You don't have to have it all on show to look good.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 61
It's discusting to show your ass.
Reply 62
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
On topic - One half of me says yes, it is a little tacky, but on the other hand, there are girls at my college with booties that are out of this world, and on a hot day when the conditions for underbutt are ripe, there is many a fine sight to behold as I gaze out across campus at the sea of buxom ladies. :sexface:

:mute:
Reply 63
Original post by silent ninja
Why don't women just walk around in thongs? Why draw a line. It's arbitrary and subjective and my line is in a different place to yours quite obviously. We don't have a formula for decency.

You don't have to have it all on show to look good.

Well a) because its not that warm in the UK. In Rio, women often do walk around in thongs.
But mainly b) because thongs aren't as flattering as a thong and a short skirt. The solid horizontal line of the skirt acts to accentuate the roundness of the cheek.

If you don't like girls' bodies that's fine dude, you don't have to be ashamed.
Original post by py0alb
Well a) because its not that warm in the UK. In Rio, women often do walk around in thongs.
But mainly b) because thongs aren't as flattering as a thong and a short skirt. The solid horizontal line of the skirt acts to accentuate the roundness of the cheek.

If you don't like girls' bodies that's fine dude, you don't have to be ashamed.

Please next time encourage your mum/sister/niece/girlfriend to dress like that. I'm sure you'll have no problem with the attention they get.

I don't need to ogle over strange women's bodies. That can be done in private with your significant other. Simple really.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by suncake
:mute:

Why the face? :hmmm:
There's nothing wrong with women being sex symbols and objects you mean. It pleases us men more than anything. The trick is we've manipulated them to do it willingly under the guise that they are doing it for themselves. Would they dress like that if nobody were around? Amazing really. The power of pop culture and advertising.

No, that's not what I mean. And no, no manipulation has taken place. Women merely either a) want to wear something little because it's hot, b) wear to attract the opposite sex's attention or c) because they feel comfortable.

You're disgustingly sexist in your assumption that a women can't somehow think for themselves and has to be manipulated into dressing a certain way. This isn't Islam. We don't force women to comply with a certain dress code under the guise of modesty.

Original post by py0alb
They're trying to look attractive to the opposite sex and feel happy and confident about the way they look. The same reason I wash my hair and shave every morning and select my clothes with care so they are flattering, and so, presumably, do you. Where's the problem?

Exactly. I really don't understand why people view attempting to attract the opposite sex as something wrong.
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
No, that's not what I mean. And no, no manipulation has taken place. Women merely either a) want to wear something little because it's hot, b) wear to attract the opposite sex's attention or c) because they feel comfortable.

You're disgustingly sexist in your assumption that a women can't somehow think for themselves and has to be manipulated into dressing a certain way. This isn't Islam. We don't force women to comply with a certain dress code under the guise of modesty.

It's patently obvious women/girls are forced to dress a certain way from a young age. Social, cultural and peer pressure is very powerful, especially when they are bombarded by it in all forms of media. Males, in comparison, are not bombarded in such a manner. Women are 'supposed' to be provocative and most of them simply conform because it's expected of them.
Reply 68
Original post by 21stcenturyphantom
Why the face? :hmmm:

I dunno man, maybe just the way your post conveyed slightly paedophilic/perverted tendencies...
Reply 69
Please next time encourage your mum/sister/niece/girlfriend to dress like that. I'm sure you'll have no problem with the attention they get.

Why would I have a problem with women receiving attention? We're not all jealous patriarchal throwbacks.
I would be very pleased for my sister if she attracted positive male attention, good on her. Would you rather the females of your aquaintance wore the burkha?

I don't need to ogle over strange women's bodies. That can be done in private with your significant other. Simple really.

You've been ogling my significant other in private? And she told me you were mending the drains!
Reply 70
Original post by suncake
I dunno man, maybe just the way your post conveyed slightly paedophilic/perverted tendencies...

You think a male college student looking admiringly at female college students is paedophilic/perverted?

You got issues, sister.
Original post by suncake

He may have worded it like a convicted paedophile, but let's be honest, every man does this.
Original post by py0alb
Why would I have a problem with women receiving attention? We're not all jealous patriarchal throwbacks.
I would be very pleased for my sister if she attracted positive male attention, good on her. Would you rather the females of your aquaintance wore the burkha?

You've been ogling my significant other in private? And she told me you were mending the drains!

Positive attention by dressing slutty? Now now, you are seriously not being open to the women on here. Is that really what you think when you see a skimpy dressed girl? Liar. I'm sure you notice her lovely eyes :rolleyes:

Dressing attractively does not equate to dressing in slutty revealing clothes. They are not one in the same thing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by suncake

Bwahah! I was simply saying that when it's warm, most of the girls tend to wear their shorts with their underbutt exposed (as seems to be the latest fashionable faux pas) and I can't help but have a cheeky perve (as most lads would). If you think my post conveyed padeophilic tendencies I think you need to look up the definition of the word before you brandish it so foolishly.
Reply 74
Evolutionary Psychology/Human Behavioural Ecology of sexual selection would tell us it's essentially the same thing in terms of an image.

In terms of fashion though i've no idea, people who just wear what ever keeps them comfortable, if they want to wear very short skirts so be it they just shouldn't do so in the middle of winter and then complain of being cold!
It's patently obvious women/girls are forced to dress a certain way from a young age. Social, cultural and peer pressure is very powerful, especially when they are bombarded by it in all forms of media. Males, in comparison, are not bombarded in such a manner. Women are 'supposed' to be provocative and most of them simply conform because it's expected of them.

No they are not. There are certain celebrities that dress certain way but that's because of their choice. Young girls just tend to like the way their dress thus copy them. No manipulation is going on. This applies to all cultures even Muslim ones were it isn't even denied that women are FORCED EXPLICITLY to dress in a certain way.

Same applies to males, hence why when celebrities wore skinny jeans men wore skinny jeans. Again sexism. Assuming women need to be protected and dress in a certain way.
Reply 76
Original post by py0alb
You think a male college student looking admiringly at female college students is paedophilic/perverted?

You got issues, sister.

Spoken like a true paedophile/pervert.
Original post by noobynoo
I have noticed a trend this year for girls wearing very short denim shorts which expose the "underbutt" area. While I'm all for this new fashion I am wondering where this fashion will go. Will in a few years time girls just be walking around in denim thongs? (Fingers crossed). I blame Miley Cyrus myself. I'd like to give her a piece of my mind. What's your opinions on this latest trend?

It's horrible. It looks cheap and tacky, and frankly, it looks very slutty.
To make my point, here are two pictures; ignoring the faces (or not, makes no difference) the girl in the skirt looks far more attractive, in my opinion.
Frankie%u00252BSandford%2Bleads%2Bscantily%2Bclad%2BThe%2BSaturdays%2Bon%2Bstage%2Btiny%2Bhot%2B.jpg
SG+Fashion+6.jpg
When you consider that most girls' physiques are nowhere near as good as the girl pictured in hotpants, it becomes even more evident just how bad this look is.

I wish girls would all start wearing knee-high socks. Now that would be sexy. :sexface:

Or in fact if they would go on a nice clothing designers website and have a look at their summer collections and copy some of those instead of dressing like slappers. :rolleyes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 78
Positive attention by dressing slutty? Now now, you are seriously not being open to the women on here. Is that really what you think when you see a skimpy dressed girl? Liar. I'm sure you notice her lovely eyes :rolleyes:

Dressing attractively does not equate to dressing in slutty revealing clothes. They are not one in the same thing.

By using the word "slutty" to describe a certain style of dress, you are simply revealing yourself to be a woman-hating misogynist.

There is nothing more to say here. You are a misogynist, I am not.
Reply 79
Original post by suncake
Spoken like a true paedophile/pervert.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Quick Reply

Latest