The Student Room Group

Excuse to return TV?

Hi -

I bought a new plasma screen about 3 weeks ago from a highstreet retailer (they are stores all over the country) and before buying tried to bargain with the salesman, but he told me that they literally couldn't afford to go any lower and that the TV would never be sold cheaper (as it was apparently being sold at cost price), so I went ahead and bought it, with a 5 year warranty for £650.

Now, the same TV is available elsewhere for £450 ish, and they were selling it for £50 cheaper, but have now stopped selling it all-together.

I know that I could have waited for xmas sales and got it cheaper, but regardless they still lowered the price when they told me it was impossible!

What I want to know is if there is any reason for which I could return the TV and get a full refund? I know if I bought it online I'd be covered by Distance Selling Regulations, but not really sure if there is any reason for which they'd have to refund me because I bought it in store, and it isn't faulty or anything.

THanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Go back to the shop and do a little dance.
Reply 2
Unless they have a 28 day satisfaction guarantee, you're going to struggle.
Reply 3
no. accept your fail
Reply 4
You won't know unless you try
Reply 5
if the price is the only problem, then there's no point in taking it back, you lost.
Reply 6
say that you got the same telly from someone for christmas.... have you still got the box?
Pretend it doesn't work? :s-smilie:
if you got the Mighty Book of Boosh for Christmas, then there's a list of hilarious excuses for being late. Use one of them
Just say you don't want it anymore... usually they don't ask for a very elaborate reason. Most high street stores will give you a full refund if it is returned within 28 days in the original packaging etc.
Reply 10
Make up that something doesn't work properly.
Reply 11
say its not up to standards.
Reply 12
I'm not sure on the rules, but if they were selling it £50 cheaper at the time, and told you they weren't, you could probably argue you the product was mis-sold.
Milch
Make up that something doesn't work properly.

Well, there isn't anything wrong with it, and surely they would test it and check for a problem?
Phone them up and ask?
Unwanted Xmas gift?
Reply 16
Darkest Knight
What I want to know is if there is any reason for which I could return the TV and get a full refund? I know if I bought it online I'd be covered by Distance Selling Regulations

No you wouldn't - not after three weeks.
Reply 17
Darkest Knight
Now, the same TV is available elsewhere for £450 ish, and they were selling it for £50 cheaper, but have now stopped selling it all-together.

Do you really expect a simple sales person being able to tell you whether a manager a few steps above him might at some point in the future decide to still lower the price, even below the cost, just to get rid of the remaining TVs to make space for new ones?
Ramble
No you wouldn't - not after three weeks.

Sorry, my mistake, just checked, it is 1 week.
Reply 19
"I bought it for my parents for christmas but my brother bought them a better one"

Maybe :s-smilie:

Latest

Trending

Trending