The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
XENOCIDE
getting over 90 % is fine, but if your not scoring above 90% in C1 then you might struggle to get the A grade after C3 and C4

Depends how much work you did. I got 80% exactly in C1 and got a very comfortable A overall for my A2, however I did no revision at all for it :p:.
Hey I have a question.

Im pondering whether or not to do AEA religious studies. I'm applying for anth/arch and want something to boost my application a bit. However, a friend above who got in to Cambridge for Theology got a U for the AEA paper. If I get a U would I have to put it on my UCAS, and would it make my ucas look worse? hmmm is it worth it?
This thread is getting lonely :frown:
Reply 1003
Hi,
My sister is under huge pressure from her History teacher to go and study History at Cambridge. However, will she even be looked at with 4 A's at GCSE? She is a History wizz. She has had to move onto harder work as she finds the current A level work to easy and is planning to take the S Level(?) next year..(sort of clueless about this..info would be good!)

Any info would be good. Thanks. :biggrin:

:ymca:
4A's and what?

4A's + 6B's possibly
4A's + 12A*'s highley likely?
She should definitely go for it, but if, and only if, its what she wants. At the open day they said "the only way to ensure not getting in is not applying." I think that this is excellent advice. If she's only in year 12 now, then she doesn't need to worry to much until next year. She, and her teachers, will be in a much better position to judge when she has her AS grades. However, if she does want to apply, its worth bearing in mind that getting all A's at AS would be a great start. Doing well in History alone won't be good enough - its too competitive. Hope that helps :smile:
Joanna Kiyone
I very much doubt it. The rumours are you need around 7 A*s minimum for Oxbridge. Occasionally you hear of people with no A*s getting in but you do have to extremely uber in your field, and do extremely well at interview. So it's not impossible, but I'd say the chance is slim to nil.

You're not even applying for 2009 so you haven't a clue what the admissions processes are like. If you don't know then don't ******* post in the topic. Jesus.
It's worth a shot, and:

Joanna Kiyone
The rumours are you need around 7 A*s minimum for Oxbridge.

That rumour is wrong :yes:
Reply 1008
Joanna Kiyone
I very much doubt it. The rumours are you need around 7 A*s minimum for Oxbridge.

A complete fallacy. I wish people would stop spouting nonsense like this.

What were her other GCSE grades?
Joanna Kiyone
I very much doubt it. The rumours are you need around 7 A*s minimum for Oxbridge. Occasionally you hear of people with no A*s getting in but you do have to extremely uber in your field, and do extremely well at interview. So it's not impossible, but I'd say the chance is slim to nil.

I think I can safely say thats not true seeing as I am at "Oxbridge" and dont have 7A*S or even close
yesioo
Hi,
My sister is under huge pressure from her History teacher to go and study History at Cambridge. However, will she even be looked at with 4 A's at GCSE? She is a History wizz. She has had to move onto harder work as she finds the current A level work to easy and is planning to take the S Level(?) next year..(sort of clueless about this..info would be good!)

Any info would be good. Thanks. :biggrin:

:ymca:

S Levels havent existed for many years. 10ish
Reply 1011
Joanna Kiyone

Completely false. I had 5A*s, 3A's, some B's, a D, and an E. *vaguely indicates his sig*

To the OP - I'm presuming she is likely to get A*s for the rest, or a reasonable number thereof? She should be fine. As always, GCSE results are far less important than some people think - good AS's and predictions should get you an interview, good interview and stuff should get you an offer, good A2's and you should make that offer.
Joanna Kiyone
Your point? Just because I'm not applying doesn't mean I'm completely clueless about the subject. I know a lot of people who go there, what grades they got a GCSE and what the interview process is.

Considering you didn't even try and make a relevant contribution to the topic, it is you who shouldn't be posting here.

My post was relevant in guiding the OP away from your ridiculous fallacies. You're not applying so therefore you're not as knowledgable on the subject so therefore either STFU or GTFO.
Reply 1013
I'm presuming she is likely to get A*s for the rest, or a reasonable number thereof?

She is studying A levels. :smile:
Joanna Kiyone
Your point? Just because I'm not applying doesn't mean I'm completely clueless about the subject. I know a lot of people who go there, what grades they got a GCSE and what the interview process is.

Considering you didn't even try and make a relevant contribution to the topic, it is you who shouldn't be posting here.

Well Im actually at Oxford not just an applicant / offer holder. I also have worked for the Oxford Access Scheme. I believe this makes me a little more qualified to answer the question and it is definitely false.

3A*s here for a start.
Reply 1015
yesioo
She is studying A levels. :smile:

While in year 11? She should have the grades to get an interview then.
Reply 1016
No! Shes in sixth form. =/. This is what makes me think she will not get in. However, last year our history teacher wanted to put her on the as level course in year 11 but annoyingly he got promoted to senior management so didn't have the time to teach her...:smile:
Well if she's studying AS's this year then she will be able to get A*'S - its a new grade available for A level, as of September 2008.
Reply 1018
Oh, yeah. :laughing:. I totally forgot about the new A*. :mute:
Reply 1019
yesioo
No! Shes in sixth form. =/. This is what makes me think she will not get in. However, last year our history teacher wanted to put her on the as level course in year 11 but annoyingly he got promoted to senior management so didn't have the time to teach her...:smile:

Wait, I'm slightly confused about the situation: What were her GCSE grades then?

Latest

Trending

Trending