The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
DVLA website, you can see all of the possible routes you may go on if you search for your area or something.. I can't remember now exactly where you find them.
Reply 2
Your driving instuctor should tell you the main routes, but there's variations of them all. I don't think you can get them anywhere on the internet :frown:

Edit: hmxjam is right. Check here: http://www.dsa.gov.uk/AtoZservices_Bannered.asp?Cat=-1&TestType=car&TypeID=17
Reply 3
On the dsa website i think, but when i did it, they were directions as opposed to maps.
Reply 4
Thanks everyone!! :smile:
Reply 5
You can find out the routes? Jees, I thought passing your driving test was being able to competently drive in any situation, not on a route you've driven hundreds of times and know with your eyes closed.
Reply 6
Creepy
You can find out the routes? Jees, I thought passing your driving test was being able to competently drive in any situation, not on a route you've driven hundreds of times and know with your eyes closed.

Like I said it was in a different test centre, I've never even driven in that area before so would like to have a rough idea of what it entails.
Reply 7
I hate the test routes, every single one has a roundabout that has a special rule... You literally have to study the roundabout and because the roundabouts are sooo crazy, you ALWAYS nearly crash because NO ONE knows to to do... it's awful.
Reply 8
ooga
I hate the test routes, every single one has a roundabout that has a special rule... You literally have to study the roundabout and because the roundabouts are sooo crazy, you ALWAYS nearly crash because NO ONE knows to to do... it's awful.

Nothing special about any of the roundabouts were I am or in any of the test routes (of course).. Other than some are two-lanes and it's quite obvious which are.. That's about as special as it gets for me.. :rolleyes:

What sorta special are you talking? :confused:
Reply 9
Sparxy
Nothing special about any of the roundabouts were I am or in any of the test routes (of course).. Other than some are two-lanes and it's quite obvious which are.. That's about as special as it gets for me.. :rolleyes:

What sorta special are you talking? :confused:

Well, a lot of double roundabouts where you have to be in the wrong lane to turn the left etc. Some where you dont need indicators, one that has traffic lights with 3 lanes and you have to (on one route) go right, right, middle, left all around the roundabout and there are just loads of random things like that. One round about where you have to go left, left then swerve all the way to the right. They don't sound bad, but they are when you do them >_<
Reply 10
ooga
Well, a lot of double roundabouts where you have to be in the wrong lane to turn the left etc. Some where you dont need indicators, one that has traffic lights with 3 lanes and you have to (on one route) go right, right, middle, left all around the roundabout and there are just loads of random things like that. One round about where you have to go left, left then swerve all the way to the right. They don't sound bad, but they are when you do them >_<

Sounds like **** road planning by the council, there quite good at being ****. :yes:

My local council are anyway at least.
Reply 11
Be careful though, some of the directions on them are wrong. Some of them ask you to take things like the 3rd exit on the right, and there isn't one, or make you go the wrong way.
Creepy
:ditto:

The whole point of learning to drive is that you should be taught how to drive, not how to pass your test...
Reply 13
Car Expert
:ditto:

The whole point of learning to drive is that you should be taught how to drive, not how to pass your test...

I completely disagree, passing a test now isn't about how well you drive, it's about how THEY want you to drive if that makes sense. You are taught how to pass a test, not how to drive.
My point is that looking for potential driving test routes and being familiar with these roads is not a good strategy and not adequate preparation to go about trying to pass your test. To be a good driver you've got to be able to drive in a safe, confident manner in any given situation, especially on roads you're unfamiliar with. During your driving career, 9 times out of 10 you are most likely going to be driving down roads you've never been down before, especially if you're going on holiday or something. Instructors who take you down potential test routes is bad teaching IMO...

The test route I was given involved a mixture of familiar and unfamiliar roads. It wasn't a problem for me at all... it just shows that if you get taught in the right way you can still pass first time...
Erm i hate to tell you guys this, but there isnt ONE ROUTE for that exact reason. My test centre has TWENTY routes, so it's not like you can just practice the same thing over and over again. And I wouldn't say 9 times out of 10 you'll be driving down roads you've never been down- I think it's the exact opposite, you'll spend the majority of your time driving to work, school, town, friends houses, tesco (lol) etc!!

However, a lot of my centre's test routes have the 'magic roundabout' in... it's not fun- it's like 5 mini roundabouts all around one massive roundabout and you have to drive round it in the wrong direction sometimes and no one actually knows what theyre doing lol.
They don't make sense...
'DTC' (Driving Test Centre??) doesn't correspond with the first direction to the first Road Name...
What does DTC actually mean then?
Or can the instructor take any route to get to that first road?
Reply 17
Expectations
They don't make sense...
'DTC' (Driving Test Centre??) doesn't correspond with the first direction to the first Road Name...
What does DTC actually mean then?
Or can the instructor take any route to get to that first road?
They are a bit awkward to read until you get used to them. DTC does indeed mean Driving Test Centre. Routes can be varied at the discretion of the examiner, and local prevailing conditions may alter exactly how you get to the various roads on the route.

Those internet routes are generally out of date anyway as routes evolve all the time. By all means become familiar with "general areas", but don't try to learn every route off by heart or you will become unstuck when it turns out to be totally different.
Reply 18
Digging up an old thread here but:

Any idea what it means by 'extended' test routes?

E.G my local centre lists 'routes' 1-18 and also 'extended routes' 21-22...
Reply 19
An extended test is a double length (and double cost!) driving test that a court can order you to take before regaining your full licence after it has banned you for serious driving offences.

Unless you've been convicted of dangerous driving or similar, I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest

Trending

Trending