The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I also wondered this as I am interested in the same area of work.

Anyone advise what kind of masters degrees also? (not that I've got there yet but out of interest)
Reply 2
Well you can don't have to pursue psychology after completing a psychology degree. If you wish to then here are the routes:

Clinical Psychology - work experience + 3 years doctorate
Counselling Psychology - work experience + 3 year doctorate
Forensic Psychology - work experience + 1 year MSc + 2 year doctorate
Educational Psychology - work experience + 3 year doctorate
Health Psychology - 1 year MSc + 2 years doctorate
Sport Psychology - 1 year MSc + BPS stage 2 qualification
Academic Psychology - Usually MSc in Research Methods + 3 year PhD

You can also choose to go into counselling e.g. gain a BACPs qualification

There's also something called the Early years Professional Status qualification: Early Years Professionals (EYPs) work in a wide range of roles in group settings such as nurseries and children's centres and as home based child carers. They lead practice, support other practitioners and are central to helping children develop from birth until the age of five, a crucial time in a child's life
http://www.cwdcouncil.org.uk/eyps

Check on the BPS website to see if what I've said is up to date.
To be a psychologist, you can do further training, masters degree/PhD, which you will need to get at least a 2:1 for. For Clinical Psychology you do a three-year doctorate, which is extremely competitive.
Other careers you can go into with a psychology degree are counselling, social work, nursing, anything working with people really. It also gives you skills needed for other careers, so it can lead into a lot of things. Have a look at www.bps.org.uk.
Reply 4
Thanks for the detailed responses both of you, invaluable information.
Reply 5
thank you for your feedback its helped alot

is it possible to get into a nhs career with a psychology degree and what other careers can psychology lead to apart 4rm da psychology side of it
also would it be better to study psychology at birmingham city uni or birmingham uni
Outside of the obvious Psych related jobs, it's not really possible to state all of your options as there are so many.

And generally, Birmingham uni would be better than Birmingham city.
With a psychology degree (without further study) you can work in the NHS as an assistant psychologist, mental health support worker, Healthcare assistant, and in a variety of admin/ support roles.

As only about 15%-20% of psychology graduates work within psychology, the majority work outside it. You can go after any of the many graduate schemes and opportunities that do not specify a particular degree, and its a very popular degree for teachers and civil servants.
Reply 8
Lord Asriel
With a psychology degree (without further study) you can work in the NHS as an assistant psychologist, mental health support worker, Healthcare assistant, and in a variety of admin/ support roles.

As only about 15%-20% of psychology graduates work within psychology, the majority work outside it. You can go after any of the many graduate schemes and opportunities that do not specify a particular degree, and its a very popular degree for teachers and civil servants.

Would you say that a very small percentage of them actually run their own private practice?

(I mean excluding other jobs that you can branch out to)
Reply 9
XPwincessX
thank you for your feedback its helped alot

is it possible to get into a nhs career with a psychology degree and what other careers can psychology lead to apart 4rm da psychology side of it
also would it be better to study psychology at birmingham city uni or birmingham uni

Aston Uni! :smile:
Would you say that a very small percentage of them actually run their own private practice?

Private practice will depend on which area of psychology you are within. Sports and Exercise and Occupational are entirely private. Most forensic Psychologists tend to work for HMP but can do private work on the side in the form of court reports.

The majority of clinical psychologists tend to work in the NHS (like me), but many do work privately either on the side either as private psychotherapists, neuropsychological reports, court reports etc. From my experience CPs can mix it usually so often aren't entirely in private practice or entirely in public sector, so they have a steady decent basic salary that can be boosted considerably by "moonlighting".
Reply 11
Hey! I know this is an old thread but I've already opened a topic and I'd feel quite small opening another one - I'm new and here there are so many people with so many doubts :rolleyes: Moreover, this topic is quite related to my case.

I'm interested in Forensic Psych., planning to study in Scotland next year. And reading the messages before this there's something I'm not sure about: do I need a MSc? There's no possibility to be a Forensic Psychologist having a MA? (I'm talking about a Psychology degree, of course)

I've read the BPS website and still unsure.

Thanks in advance!

Latest