The Student Room Group

The offical 'OMG I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ABOUT MY NHS BURSARY' thread

Scroll to see replies

Becky3112
I am going to do an adult nursing degree in september.

I realise i will be gettin the £6000 odd non means tested bursary.

However i was wondering will i still be able to claim Assembly Learning grant

Also will i still be able to get a maintenance loan aswell as the bursary

OR is all i can get the bursary?

I don't think you can, especially if you'll be getting the non-means tested bursary.

Just found:

Can I get an Assembly Learning/Maintenance Grant?

No. If you receive NHS funding you will not be eligible to receive an ALG or Maintenance Grant. (this is for Wales not sure if its the same for England!)

Have a look on here http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/Students/816.aspx and if you still can't find anything ring your uni/ NHS bursaries and ask. :smile:
Holamigo
You don't need to apply that early. Just apply a month - 6 weeks before your course starts, you should get a letter off your accepted University.

I will be in my second year in september, we were told we could reapply for next year now.
Good evening,

My situation is this:

I went to uni for three years and didn’t graduate. I am now going to start a Nursing Degree in September. I applied for the student loan for next year, maintenance only. The website says ‘Approved Awaiting Signature’ but on the evidence it asks for ‘evidence of compelling personal reasons’.

Does this mean if I don’t present ‘evidence of compelling personal reasons’ I won’t get a maintenance loan? My only reasons are I was away from home studying something I didn’t want to and so wasn’t happy, so nothing certifiable.

I was told Nursing was an exception and you got a student loan anyway, on top of the NHS bursary?

Can anyone help, because if I don’t get the loan I cannot go :frown:

Cheers
AC

Oh and I carnt contact my LEA cos Im in North Yorkshire, who are part of the centrally processing group of LEA’s
Bethaniee
I will be in my second year in september, we were told we could reapply for next year now.

means tested and non means tested are different, less paperwork
Subcutaneous
means tested and non means tested are different, less paperwork

Do you know when I can apply for a means tested?
You need a letter from your previous university confirming that you left the course without completing it.

If you were there for three years why didn't you graduate? I'm not being nosy but if you failed exams or assignments and couldn't graduate then that would count as a valid reason.

I'm not sure where you would stand if you simply walked away from the course.

Whatever the circumstances, so far as I'm aware, the best you can hope for is to get a loan for one year of the course. Everyone is entitled to four years loan, ie the length of the course plus one year. You've already had three years so you still have a year outstanding.
Reply 126
loan, lottery, bank robbery?
Reply 127
If you study nursing then drop out within the first few weeks do you have to pay back the bursary? I thought the answer was no but someone studying nursing told me that you do:confused:
Why?

In any case, chances are the bursary won't come anywhere near that quickly and yes, you would have to pay it back.
Reply 129
You have to pay back overpayments, i.e. you get to keep the payment up until the last day you were on the course.
From the NHS bursary website: "If you abandon or suspend your studies your Bursary award will be recalculated based on the actual number of days in attendance and you will be required to repay any monies received that exceed your actual entitlement."
RightSaidJames
Why?

In any case, chances are the bursary won't come anywhere near that quickly and yes, you would have to pay it back.

if you apply early would you not get it for the first day of term? sorry i dont know much about this stuff :confused:
Reply 132
ballerinabetty
if you apply early would you not get it for the first day of term? sorry i dont know much about this stuff :confused:

The first payment is paid a couple of weeks into the course and then the rest is paid in monthly installments on a specific date, e.g. the 15th of every month.

I would ignore that post anyway because its untrue, you wouldn't have to pay the bursary back (unless you had been overpaid, then you'd only have to pay back the days that you shouldn't have been paid for, not the whole bursary)
ballerinabetty

no it's 2-3 weeks after enrollment
OP, whether you pay it back depends on many factors...if you're paid your bursary on the 15th of the month, and leave on the 16th..you'll have to pay back all you were given for that month. I will say however, there is a sticky in the h/care and nursing forum for NHS bursary queries, anymore questions please post there
Why not ask to do the diploma if you're going to be struggling? And save up for 2 years and switch to degree..worked for me
Reply 136
Hi guys,

I was just wondered if you could help me with my student finance application. I've just got to the part wheres its asked me
'Give the full tuition fee amount that your university or college is charging for the course you will be studying in academic year 2010/2011' as the NHS are paying for my fees what do I put? Also, i've tried to find out how much the fees are (i'm studying Speech and Language Therapy and UEA) but it just keeps saying 'the nhs fund your fees'.

Anyone have any ideas?
I remember having this problem last year.

I think I put the full amount of tuition fees but ticked a box later one to say the NHS are paying for them. I'm not 100% sure though, you could phone up and ask.
Just put the generic amount which is about £3250. It's pretty irrelevant to you as the NHS pay the fees but Student Finance don't have seperate forms for health students.
Heyy

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere, but after reading for about half an hour I've decided to ask again.

Is the maintenance loan and the NHS Bursary different things? So, if I got £3,000 or something from the maintenance loan would I get the bursary on top of that?

Also, I've just accepted my unconditional offer for Middlesex University. Will they contact me to inform me on how to apply or do I do this myself online?

Thanks!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending