The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

The Warwick Accommodation Thread (+Guide in Post#1)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1860
TheTallOne
Tour guides are all students and know nothing basically.

oi
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
HAHAHA love Chrrye's response!
If I'm not mistaken, accommodation choices are not on a first come first served basis right?
mlleflorence
HAHAHA love Chrrye's response!
If I'm not mistaken, accommodation choices are not on a first come first served basis right?

You are correct.
goodtogallop
i am in cryfield this year, altho it is off to the left of campus it is far closer to everywhere else than heronbank/westwood, its slightly further to the gym and tescos than rootes/AV/JM etc but youre talking an extra 2-5minutes depending how fast you walk so nothing extensive like the trek from westwood to main campus! Its really sociable as well, there are 22 people on my corridor (2 kitchens) and we all get on really well, ive never had any problems with stuff being stolen etc, we all go out together, drink together etc. My friends bf is in JM and he only goes out with 3/4 of the people he lives with and my friend last year who lived there said it was only her and her friend who ever drank! Everyone I have spoken to who lives elsewhere is amazed at how sociable we all are!

The rooms are small, definitely the smallest on campus, but everything fits and its nice and cosy. I visited a friend in westwood the other day and was amazed, her room is at least 50% bigger than mine but its all bare and looks really empty, whereas mine is slightly cluttered but at least feels homely! If you have a keyboard or anything bulky like that that needs floor space i wouldnt reccomend it but otherwise youll be fine!

The corridors are really longg (11 bedrooms and a kitchen on each side) whereas in other halls theyre L shaped, which makes it look slightly prison like, and theyre narrow, but i like it as you can easily see whats happening in the corridor :tongue: and the narrowness means theyre fun to climb!

Basically, cryfield is awesome, and also really cheap (Y). The cheapness also means noone is at all stuck up, whereas friends in other accomodations have complained of this!

finally some positive opinion about cryfield (btw i love the name, hah) i'm happy to hear its really sociable - that's what i'm looking for - lots of partying and drinking :wink:
i like the homely feel but kinda scared at thought of long prison-like corridors :biggrin:
i think i'll put cryfield as my first choice: looking at the accommodation fees for 2010/11 its Ł2220 a year which is Ł500 cheaper than shared rooms in Benefactors (which are probably hard to get since Benefactors has only 70rooms) and Ł1000 cheper than Westwood or Roots. It makes a difference.

what's the subject u study, btw?
I'm watching this thread, it seems like everyone's putting first choice as JM..........so AV it is :biggrin: probably have a better chance of getting in :thumbsup:

I wish it was on first come first served :erm:
fruttidee
finally some positive opinion about cryfield (btw i love the name, hah) i'm happy to hear its really sociable - that's what i'm looking for - lots of partying and drinking :wink:
i like the homely feel but kinda scared at thought of long prison-like corridors :biggrin:
i think i'll put cryfield as my first choice: looking at the accommodation fees for 2010/11 its Ł2220 a year which is Ł500 cheaper than shared rooms in Benefactors (which are probably hard to get since Benefactors has only 70rooms) and Ł1000 cheper than Westwood or Roots. It makes a difference.

Cryfield is supposedly haunted haha... but if it is your first choice, you will probably get it because it isn't one of the more popular ones.

Jack Martin and Arthur Vick are hugely popular, there will be loads of people applying for them who do not even visit this forum xD So I wouldn't base your decision on that, whoever said that :-)
fruttidee

i like the long corridors, you can see right the way down them :tongue:

also if you are on the ground floor theyre broken up with a common room in the middle, which anyone can use but only the ground floor tend to. i do biomed. it says in the accom info they dont take your subject into account but they deff did on my floor.. half is biomed/biochem, other half is maths/physics/mathsphys and a couple of chemists! although having said that i know plenty of other mixed places..
Miss_Scarlet
Cryfield is supposedly haunted haha... but if it is your first choice, you will probably get it because it isn't one of the more popular ones.

Jack Martin and Arthur Vick are hugely popular, there will be loads of people applying for them who do not even visit this forum xD So I wouldn't base your decision on that, whoever said that :-)

what's ur point?
i do realize majority of people who live in warwick accomodation or are applying there dont visit this forum. how is that even relevent with anything i wrote?
fruttidee
what's ur point?
i do realize majority of people who live in warwick accomodation or are applying there dont visit this forum. how is that even relevent with anything i wrote?

YOU didn't...the second part was an answer to someone else's question, though may be useful to others too.
Reply 1869
TheTallOne
You are correct.

Read through all the post and stuff I could find, still have a few questions where I have probably skipped through posts. Though really I'm just looking for some recommendations :tongue:

For just location would want to be in Claycroft/Tocil/AV/JM

-A place where sleeping is possible for 5-6 hours a day
-Locks on kitchen cupboards
-Sink in room

Any thoughts anyone? Open to anything really but if I had to make decisions on where to go it would be on those :smile:
ok a question i need answering:

is JM actually that boring?!

it was my first choice but then people kept telling me it was really boring and everyone just kept themselves to themselves etc, but is this true? i'm quite a social person but there are times when i just wanna take a nap or read a book quietly, but i don't wanna be in a place where everyone is boring/ ignores each other.. so would JM suit me?
Reply 1871
ifyougotthemoney
ok a question i need answering:

is JM actually that boring?!

it was my first choice but then people kept telling me it was really boring and everyone just kept themselves to themselves etc, but is this true? i'm quite a social person but there are times when i just wanna take a nap or read a book quietly, but i don't wanna be in a place where everyone is boring/ ignores each other.. so would JM suit me?

Yeah it sounds like it would suit you. Most JM kitchens I know are fairly lively. Obviously there's an element of luck as to who you are put with. I'm in AV and I've got such a good coridoor and we always go out, but most of the other AV kitchens are sooooo boring lol.
benched
Read through all the post and stuff I could find, still have a few questions where I have probably skipped through posts. Though really I'm just looking for some recommendations :tongue:

For just location would want to be in Claycroft/Tocil/AV/JM

-A place where sleeping is possible for 5-6 hours a day
-Locks on kitchen cupboards
-Sink in room

Any thoughts anyone? Open to anything really but if I had to make decisions on where to go it would be on those :smile:

There's a sink in every room other than Claycroft (where you share between another person, along with a bathroom).

Locks - I don't have locks on the cupboards in JM, and I don't get food stolen either. Perhaps the more people to a kitchen you have, the more likely you will have people who steal food. New JM kitchens are much nicer than the old JM kitchens (even though the old JM kitchens have a small cupboard that you can lock).

Most places you can sleep 5-6 hours a day, but that isn't guaranteed as you will inevitably have a 4am fire alarm :colonhash: It's all luck - there's one JM block that has had none this term but my one has had more than one per week on average, and most of them between 10pm and 6am. It's all luck. Again, with noisy housemates relies on luck - Tocil you can lock your front door and prevent people from outside your flat from getting in, whereas with corridors you have 100+ people in the building who can go anywhere. If someone is playing some loud music after midnight, you have a right to complain to the warden as there is a quiet rule.
Milch
Yeah it sounds like it would suit you. Most JM kitchens I know are fairly lively. Obviously there's an element of luck as to who you are put with. I'm in AV and I've got such a good coridoor and we always go out, but most of the other AV kitchens are sooooo boring lol.

thank you, this is really helpful! :smile: i will definitely be putting JM as my first choice now!
Can we apply for accommodation yet then?
kingharry666
Can we apply for accommodation yet then?

Not yet, check this page now and again or this thread.
Current Students I Need YOU!!
Over the past month I've started to revamp the first few posts of this thread to create the ultimate accommodation resource for first year accommodation. Now I want your input into what you think your accommodation is like. What's good, whats bad and even some photos. Just spend 10 minutes of your time writing about the halls you are staying/stayed in and I will give +rep for your efforts (perhaps more if you have got photos).

An example response if given below. I need a 2-3 sentence summary and for the pro/con bit you can write a paragraph or write it bullets, it doesn't really matter. Photos are not required but if you have any that will be awesome :h: Just post your stuff in the thread and you will get credit in the first two or three posts of this thread (as well as +rep).

CanBlock :
Summary :
Pros :
Cons :
Photos :

Example: Jack Martin

Block: Cryfield 1
Summary: cheap and cheerful! some kitchens are new, some old, but they are slowly being re-done. I have never had a problem sharing bathrooms, we have 5 loos, 2 showers and 3 shower/bath combos for 23 people which is plenty. Also never had problems with food being stolen.

Pros: Cheap!! being the only non-ensuite, 30 week let means it works out about 500£ a year cheaper than the next cheapest option. As a result of this there are far fewer snobby people than some (though not all) I have met who live in JM. We arent all cheapskates, we go out plenty but not ridiculous amounts and dont tend to spend money willy-nilly. I have never had to wait for the loo or shower and theyre cleaned every day. Although it looks far out, its actually really close to the SU, costcutters etc, and its no further to gibbet hill than any of the others really (other than rootes), just in a diff direction. Its separated from central campus not by distance but by a road, which tends to mean its a quieter area at night. Also the burger van is en route to cryfield after a night out, rather than a trek in the opposite direction if you live in the JM/AV area! There is a separate launderette in the very near vicinity as well. I have never had any food stolen, despite the lack of locks in the kitchen. There are common rooms on the ground floor of each building, which only tend to be used by the people on that floor, but then their kitchens are a bit smaller i think (altho less people to a kitchen, as there are 3 rather than 2 for slightly more people, so i guess it balances).

Cons: Its not ensuite, although personally i dont find this a problem at all. The rooms are small, about two thirds the size of westwood rooms, although theyre huge! I can fit all my stuff in fine, the people surrounding me have a lott more stuff than i do and they manage too. if you plan to bring a keyboard or anything similar then id opt for somewhere slightly larger but otherwise its not a problem, extra space is just a bonus! The corridors are narrow, slightly prison-like i guess, but i like it as theyre very straight and long so you can be nosy and see all the way down! The kitchens and bathrooms are in the middle so not too far away. Your rooms dont get cleaned, which i guess is a con, but i dont mind this at all as it means the cleaners dont wake me up!! Theres a vacuum available for use.

Photos: none sorry
TheTallOne
Current Students I Need YOU!!
Over the past month I've started to revamp the first few posts of this thread to create the ultimate accommodation resource for first year accommodation. Now I want your input into what you think your accommodation is like. What's good, whats bad and even some photos. Just spend 10 minutes of your time writing about the halls you are staying/stayed in and I will give +rep for your efforts (perhaps more if you have got photos).

An example response if given below. I need a 2-3 sentence summary and for the pro/con bit you can write a paragraph or write it bullets, it doesn't really matter. Photos are not required but if you have any that will be awesome :h: Just post your stuff in the thread and you will get credit in the first two or three posts of this thread (as well as +rep).

This is a very good idea!! +rep :biggrin: Especially the photos, because right now we're making decisions on accommodation that we haven't even seen yet!!
Reply 1879
I reckon I've decided JM or AV as my first choice. Most likely go with JM, there doesn't seem to be that much difference and it is cheaper.

Rootes as my second choice. More because I couldn't decide out of the others and Rootes seems like the most sociable. If I am not getting the one I want (JM/AV) I may as well have a good time right.

Cryfield will most likely be my last choice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending