The Student Room Group

UCL, Oxford, Imperial, Kings College... what's the student life like?

This poll is closed

What do you think of the social/student life?

Oxford = Rubbish!0%
Oxford = Great!20%
Oxford = OK0%
UCL = Rubbish!0%
UCL = Great!40%
UCL = OK0%
Imperial = Rubbish!5%
Imperial = Great!20%
Imperial = OK0%
Kings = Rubbish!0%
Kings = Great!10%
Kings = OK5%
Total votes: 20
These are the four medical universities I'm considering applying for in the UK... what's the student/social life like? As in how fun is it? What do you guys do for fun? What are the parties like?

:smile:

I've already thought about the education side of it... but I don't want to spend my uni experience locked in my room studying at a boring university.
Well if u want to study medicine you shouldnt be thinking too much about having fun.
Reply 2
it's whatever you make of it. Oxford and London are both full of students and other happenings.
Reply 3
UCL medics have a lot of fun, I should know. My boyfriend is at Imperial and their medics seem to be similar to us. I've been to a couple of their events with him and had a good time, very friendly people.

Can't say much about Oxford or Kings.

But it is as someone said, what you make of it. Some people go here and literally do nothing with their week except work and make themselves miserable.

The only advantage with London is that it's got such a variety of things to do, if you get bored of the same place easily.

NoNameAvailable
Well if u want to study medicine you shouldnt be thinking too much about having fun.

I hope you're actually not serious.

This week alone I've been to 3 clubs, the union twice for pre drinking, I've been shopping on oxford street, been on a date, been to regent's park, going to thorpe park on Tuesday, main summer ball tomorrow, then medical students summer ball a week tomorrow, been rowing... blah blah blah...
This may not be the normal time, as it is post exams. However I can't think of a single week this year where I haven't been out at least 3 evenings in the week.

It gets harder and more work, but everyone, even in their final year, has a hell of a time if they want one.
Yah, I'm interested in finding out about this too
Jessaay!

This week alone I've been to 3 clubs, the union twice for pre drinking, I've been shopping on oxford street, been on a date, been to regent's park, going to thorpe park on Tuesday, main summer ball tomorrow, then medical students summer ball a week tomorrow, been rowing... blah blah blah...
This may not be the normal time, as it is post exams. However I can't think of a single week this year where I haven't been out at least 3 evenings in the week.

This is why the best doctor in Britain are not actually British.
Reply 6
NoNameAvailable

Come on... you can't expect people to spend 24/7 studying.. otherwise our doctors WOULD be bad... being a doctor isn't all about the academics.. it's about relating to other people, being able to be confident and communicate with patients, their family and other doctors..

you'd have a really boring life too.
Reply 7
NoNameAvailable

Who says the best doctors in britain are not british?

Also, I worked 12 hours a day for 7 weeks to do well in my exams. I also achieve a lot in sports and do a lot for various societies. I go to every class. I have a good social life, but I turn up to all of the 5 lectures I may have in a day.

I'm not sure any doctor will deny that good time management and good social skills are incredibly valuable :wink: so stuff it.
Reply 8
Jessaay!

He's right. French have the best doctors :smile:
Haha it's ok if you insult me don't worry (however it is true for many people)
Reply 9
Jessaay!

Also, I worked 12 hours a day for 7 weeks to do well in my exams. I also achieve a lot in sports and do a lot for various societies. I go to every class. I have a good social life, but I turn up to all of the 5 lectures I may have in a day.

I'm not sure any doctor will deny that good time management and good social skills are incredibly valuable :wink: so stuff it.

I say dont get wound up by :troll:, and dont waste your time on him! :yes:

Also you need to explain yourself when you said that medics from barts dont have teddies and hence u werent surprised that I didnt have one :rofl:
Medics always have the most fun.

I hear the student life at Imperial isn't so great for everyone else but medics have a good first year.
Reply 11
paronomase
He's right. French have the best doctors :smile:
Haha it's ok if you insult me don't worry (however it is true for many people)

Best doctors is very subjective. People want different things from doctors, it's not just about healing.

Also he said best doctors in BRITAIN are not british.

Also nobody really has authority on this subject...
Reply 12
La Esmerelda
Medics always have the most fun.

I hear the student life at Imperial isn't so great for everyone else but medics have a good first year.

The medics at imperial seem to have a good time throughout, but I think the layout of their course means they get a lot less free time than some of our equivalent years.
The medics at cambridge just work work work and hardly ever go out, so I assume Oxford is similar.
It's not just medics that work really hard you know.. At unis like this everyone has an absolute shed load to do, but the social is great.

Join a society, like a team or something, and you won't need to worry about it. The social is part of the craic.

Latest