The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Books have arrived (:teeth:)with the exception of Woolman Contract and Scottish Legal System (neither of which have been dispatched :shifty: ).

I now have;

Scots Criminal Law: A Critical Analysis (written by my lecturer :moon: )
Learning Legal Rules
Avizandum Legislation on the Scots Law of Obligations
Scots Private Law
Scots Law Essentials
Understanding Law
Contract Law in Scotland
The Study Skills Companion
Studying Scots Law
How To Write Law Essays and Exams

:moon:
Celtic_Anthony
Wasn't actually ginger beer, the case just proceeded on that premise because the Judges weren't au fait with Glasgow slang. It was just a "boatil o' ginger", or so we were told.

:lol: Seems like the tutor got a bit lost. You get anything out of it? And fair play for going to them, right thing to do.

I'm unsure, I'm hoping the School gets a discount like it does for Tax Law. Either that or the library orders in 100 copies...

Hi, quick tort question - are public wrongs torts? I've been sent some reading and the authors only imply that they aren't. To give you the part in context, they're talking about the residual wrongs model.

Some might argue..."what about public nuisance? That is a completely different kind of tort to all the other torts...Surely that shows that the residual wrongs view of tort law is correct, and that the various torts gathered together in the textbooks really have nothing in common?"

But does this show that the residual wrongs view of tort law is correct? Not really. It could be argued - and we would argue - that public nuisance is not a tort at all. It is not a private wrong. Rather, it is a public wrong. [It's only in the textbooks because they're wedded to the loss compensation model or residual wrongs model.]

Thanks. :smile:
Celtic_Anthony
I'm not the person to ask, you're better asking an English law student. I can help with some things, but our Delict seems a bit different from your tort, here at least. They seem to say, though, that because there is no specific, identifiable victim, there can be no tort, which seems about right.

Right, thanks. I thought it was (probably) a pretty basic question which would have a similar answer in Scotland. McBride gives the example of destroying the nest of a rare bird as a public wrong, but that wouldn't (I'm guessing) constitute a tort - which is the same as the conclusion you drew. All he's really said about what torts are is that they're civil wrongs...although that's not to say all civil wrongs will be torts!

Thanks again. :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Celtic_Anthony
X

When it is said you should do "reading" either in a lecture or by other people, "I done 5 hours of reading" - does that mean reading (a 300-400 page book) or reading and making notes (300-400 page book)?
Celtic_Anthony
Reading and remembering, really. I need to take notes.

Sorry for bugging you but I am reading Thornton v. Shoe Lane Parking Ltd [1971] 2Q.B. 163. It's an appeal in the Court of Appeal but is it actually Queen's Bench, Court of Appeal?

I cannot, for the life of me, find where the decision was made in the first instance...
G8D
You're not buying them, are you? :lolwut:

Oh no, Celtic_Anthony is, I think. :p:

I think from what I've bought - the total is approaching £300 for Semester 1.

Although I never bought William W McBryde, The Law of Contract in Scotland which is like £200 more. :lolwut:
(edited 13 years ago)
Celtic_Anthony
The first instance might not be reported, and should be in the preamble of the Court of Appeal report.

It's annoying that I know the names of these cases, but nothing of them.

Ah, hm. Mentions nothing (as far as I can see). I guess I will just ignore that part. :smile:

Is it necessary to know the story behind a case (man poisoned women) or is the case name and "principle/ratio" sufficient?
(edited 13 years ago)
Celtic_Anthony
Story will help you remember the case, and will probably be useful to draw parallels with any problem question. Ratio and any obiter are the important parts I would think.

It should, iirc (not read a case yet this semester), read "On appeal from x court" somewhere.

Hm, will need to look into all these cases then. We got given a "module guide" in Criminal of sorts outlining a load of cases and their relation to a particular topic (Negligence etc). I guess I should be manually going through these cases and researching for the obiter.

I had another glance through the case we got linked to, definitely no mention of the previous court. I even done a search of all instances of the word "court".

Cheers for the help.
Celtic_Anthony
Your tutors will tell you the important cases to read for obiter, wouldn't think you would need to read loads of them.

Just had my first Property lecture - the tutorials sound like a bit of a nightmare. How did you find it?

Also this is an ungodly time of the morning.
Celtic_Anthony
Prepare and you'll be fine tbh, there is a lot of preparation to do but that's about it. The chairperson gig is a skoosh, you just have to be confident enough to ask people questions. 2nd year you'll find there's only one or two people haven't done the reading (especially in Property) and the class discussion is miles better. It can still get a bit awkward, with uneasy silences, but it's not the hour-long cringe-fest of first year tutorials.

Ah, fair enough. Just sounded like it could be a recipe for disaster, but I'm sure it'll work out.

G8D
SISL is so ******* dry :nothing:

I like me some POPO though :h:

I was the same :p:
I like statutes.
Reply 212
:teeth:
Reply 213
Ape Gone Insane
I like statutes.

Try Companies Act 2006 then :p:
Hello :biggrin: I'm back :colone: Finally have internet in my flat...

I'm loving 2nd year so far...although, admittedly, I'm only 2 days in. It seems so much more interesting than 1st year! Particularly excited about international law :ahee:
Reply 215
I remember doing international law it was different to all the other modules but nonetheless it was a very interesting module I must say. One can also achieve a very good grade in this module with easy provided you do a little bit of reading around.
UK Murder Law Changes Monday

This doesn't apply to Scotland, does it? Apparently s1 of the Act does not extend to Scotland.
(edited 13 years ago)
Guvnor
Try Companies Act 2006 then :p:

Looks rather beastly :awesome:
G8D
Just doing my first actual task involving a case, quite enjoying it tbh.

What case?
first year at KCL :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Latest