The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shadwell_lad
To me it means that they didn't get enough men in the first place and/or the ones they did get weren't up to the standard they wanted. :frown:

I really wouldn't worry, I'm sure they'll try to hold onto the few men they have got! At my second audition, especially, which was a dance one, there seemed to be 190 women and 10 men at most (most of whom weren't as good as the women - a scary amount of whom seemed to be professional dance students, dance teachers etc). I think it reflects the fact the that the vast majority of dancers - both professional and amateur - are women, and also a lot of part-timers and freelancers who have the flexibility to fit in rehearsals are likely to be women. I appreciate they're trying to balance things - and I think I read some of the sections/roles are gender specific so they need a certain amount of men - but it would have been quite revolutionary to have overwhelmingly female ceremonies.

This video of one of the dance auditions shows how they were almost a man-free zone: http://www.london2012.com/videos/2011/ceremonies-auditions.php
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 302
I was in the first and second recall but I don't remember that dance... either I was really bad and doing some other dance or this was a dancer specific audition.
I dont understand why they are worried about the shortage of men. If thousands of people are doing the routine (say) that was in the video, in a huge stadium it wont matter if the people are boys or girls. It is just mass movement of bodies. They are highly unlikely to have 1000's of amateur male dancers audition in February.
Original post by wickedgrin
I dont understand why they are worried about the shortage of men. If thousands of people are doing the routine (say) that was in the video, in a huge stadium it wont matter if the people are boys or girls. It is just mass movement of bodies. They are highly unlikely to have 1000's of amateur male dancers audition in February.

We were told in the acting audition that the scenes would be acting out a story and that the story needed men and women.

I would imagine they are trying to show a cast that is representative of the community rather than mainly female. (but what do I know!)
Reply 305
Just saw this on BBC site.

London 2012 Olympic ceremonies budget doubled

The government has doubled the budget for the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic ceremonies to more than £80m after David Cameron saw the plans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16030785
Reply 306
I guess it's a little annoying that we all show up to two auditions, face months of waiting and then they realise they don't have enough people, and let a bunch more in.

Still, doesn't dampen my excitement much.
It has made me less hopeful of getting in. I had so hoped after the auditions that for those of us who aren't semi-professional level of dancing/drumming etc, if we were keen and OKish there would be some role somewhere for us, but maybe not.

How did the pointe auditions go, girls?
Original post by Dancersmum
It has made me less hopeful of getting in. I had so hoped after the auditions that for those of us who aren't semi-professional level of dancing/drumming etc, if we were keen and OKish there would be some role somewhere for us, but maybe not.

How did the pointe auditions go, girls?

What was your recall for? You're bound to get in somewhere, they need so many people!
Original post by BeautifullyTragic
What was your recall for? You're bound to get in somewhere, they need so many people!

It was for drumming, something that I'd never done before in my life!

But I realised at the recall that subconsciously I've always had rhythm. I come from a musical family, have always tapped along to songs, and that it had underpinned my love of/need to dance. It's rather nice to discover something like that when you're in your forties, and a bonus whatever happens.
Reply 310
When my phone beeped with an Olympic message....I was so nervous, but alas it is just a request for us to source some MWTs (men with rhythm!)
When will this wait be over? Excited and petrified in equal amounts to find out!
I know what I want for Christmas......
Original post by zna79
When my phone beeped with an Olympic message....I was so nervous, but alas it is just a request for us to source some MWTs (men with rhythm!)
When will this wait be over? Excited and petrified in equal amounts to find out!
I know what I want for Christmas......

Exactly the same here!

Strange thing was that the email said that we would hear 6 to 8 weeks from now. That puts it at the end of January....
Yes I have had an email too saying the same thing. Request for more men especially with rhythm. Closing date for further applications 9th January with auditions Feb- March 2011.

It is annoying that having auditioned intially back at the beginning of November and being told then 6-8 weeks to get the results and now being told 6-8 weeks from today which takes us to the end of January. Men auditioning in Feb - March will be told straight away. Lets hope they dont have to complete the further auditions before letting anyone know.

Feel annoyed it will take 3 months for me to find out if I am in or not. I
Reply 313
What standard was the pointe audition?
ive heard ppl have got emails..well requests for them to source some men with rhythm.... if u havent got this email then is it a sign u havent got in do u guys think?
Original post by happyending
ive heard ppl have got emails..well requests for them to source some men with rhythm.... if u havent got this email then is it a sign u havent got in do u guys think?

I wouldn't draw any conclusion from whether you got an email or not. Maybe they just went out to men?

For the record, I did get one asking if I knew any men who wanted to audition.
Reply 316
Hi Guys
I had my second audition and it was like 200 women and just 25 guys, it was really quick but we have to do some sort of modelling and posing it was well fun, did anyone had to do this?
Reply 317
Anyone had their second audition on 15th Nov?
Original post by Flylebird

Original post by Flylebird
Anyone had their second audition on 15th Nov?

was that the drumming audition?
Reply 319
Original post by leo331
Hi Guys
I had my second audition and it was like 200 women and just 25 guys, it was really quick but we have to do some sort of modelling and posing it was well fun, did anyone had to do this?

At my recall audition we were told we were picked for our acting skills even though I put down dancer on my application!

and yes there were lots of acting and standing still striking a pose!
Not sure what they were looking for, noone I spoke to didnt know either!
I just hope I get picked for something whatever it is, although the dance audition looked fab, wish I could have been on that one!

I had an email asking me to ask people to audition in the next round and I am a woman!