The Student Room Group
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website

Psychology at Huddersfield?

I have received an offer from Huddersfield to study Pscyhology with counselling :smile:

Does anyone study psychology at this uni who can tell me what the course is like?

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Tilly9481
I have received an offer from Huddersfield to study Pscyhology with counselling :smile:

Does anyone study psychology at this uni who can tell me what the course is like?

Thanks!

Hi! I study straight psychology at this uni. The course I think is good because it's what i've always wanted to do. But believe me it is not easy. The first 5 weeks unless you have studied biology a-level you will struggle with the biopsychology part of psychology.

The help from the teaching is not really good either. People complain a lot about this. (but why expect to be spoon fed at university)

But apart from that it's good. The people are nice, the university is beautiful. And if you truly love your course you will do well.
Students at University of Huddersfield
University of Huddersfield
Huddersfield
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by siarae
Hi! I study straight psychology at this uni. The course I think is good because it's what i've always wanted to do. But believe me it is not easy. The first 5 weeks unless you have studied biology a-level you will struggle with the biopsychology part of psychology.

The help from the teaching is not really good either. People complain a lot about this. (but why expect to be spoon fed at university)

But apart from that it's good. The people are nice, the university is beautiful. And if you truly love your course you will do well.

Thanks for replying :smile: It's nice to hear an opinion from somebody currently studying there!

I do biology a-level so hopefully wont find it too hard! Then again I'd prefer the degree to be challenging than easy :smile:

What's Huddersfield like as a place to live in general? Also, do you live in Storthes hall?
Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 3
Ah I've applied to do the same thing! I do A level psychology now but I'm starting to think it's going to be a lot harder...
Reply 4
i currently do psychology with criminology, agree with siarae the biopsych is HORRIBLE but you won't have a particular lecturer next year so you may find it better, its hard work so don't think its a course that you can doss on, i missed a load of lectures second term and so wish i hadn't been lazy, still passed the year but don't miss lectures unless your dying you miss sooooo much luckily i did psych in a level and first year is a redo of a levels just at a slightly higher intensity and you gotta learn lab reports, thematic analyses and general essays an that different essays want very different things from you which is soooooooooooooo confusing but its not so intense you can't have fun with it which is good you can still have a social life which is all good :smile: i know someone in my tutor does psychology with counselling and has loved it this year, its a good idea to try and volenteer somewhere like samaratins call centres or something she said thats helped loads this year, plus its the experience that employers want
Reply 5
oh and to answer your questions hudds is awsome to live, quite lively but not tooo lively nice places to chill and stuff its quite student friendly and theres a lot of different nights that are designed for students (warehouse quid in quid drinks on monday) camel club is THE student club (quid in, quite cheap drinks) its friendly and i really enjoy it :smile:
personally i don't live at storthes so can't help you there :frown:
I've just completed my first year doing straight psychology and i've enjoyed it!
A lot of people have gotten away with doing every essay within a day this year so do enjoy your first year! I managed to happily go out to clubs, do 20 hours a week part time work and get essays all handed in on time without worrying too much.
The academic staff are great in my opinion! If you ask for help with something, they're pretty quick to respond. The staff come from a variety of backgrounds so don't worry about masters options.

OH! Before I forget!! Get yourself a hoody, jumper or scarf for your main lectures :P it's a little chilly.
Reply 7
second danielle with get a jumper, scarf ect for winter in canalside, as a course rep this year we petitioned and petitioned to get the heating fixed but the vice chancellor said if they did that they'd have to do the whole uni which'd cost like 2 billion :P so just have jumpers and a hot drink, we all survive :smile:
Original post by jshibbyr
i currently do psychology with criminology, agree with siarae the biopsych is HORRIBLE but you won't have a particular lecturer next year so you may find it better, its hard work so don't think its a course that you can doss on, i missed a load of lectures second term and so wish i hadn't been lazy, still passed the year but don't miss lectures unless your dying you miss sooooo much luckily i did psych in a level and first year is a redo of a levels just at a slightly higher intensity and you gotta learn lab reports, thematic analyses and general essays an that different essays want very different things from you which is soooooooooooooo confusing but its not so intense you can't have fun with it which is good you can still have a social life which is all good :smile: i know someone in my tutor does psychology with counselling and has loved it this year, its a good idea to try and volenteer somewhere like samaratins call centres or something she said thats helped loads this year, plus its the experience that employers want

I'm starting this course in September, what can I read up for biopsych, so I don't struggle with it so much?
what building is the course held in?
Reply 10
How many exams are there in this course? I'm not good with exams and will be doing psychology this year..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending