The Student Room Group

How many languages can you speak?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Fluent in English, Dutch and German. Trying to become fluent in Mandarin, Russian and French.

German and Dutch are quite similar, and being Dutch in blood, it wasn't hard to pick it up.

I found out I had a flare for languages, so I'm trying to learn as many as possible.

My Father is fluent in 9 languages, but being the head of Rotterdam Dock's Security Force, he has to speak most main languages. I think I get it from him.
Reply 21
Original post by Rosalind
So far, English and French!

I'm learning Spanish though, and as I'm so comfortable speaking French I find it really hard not to use French words in Spanish conversations, has anyone else had this!?!?

YES!!! totally started speaking Polish to my German teacher the other day...:colondollar:
Doesn't happen too often though :biggrin:
English and Mandarin fluent
Understand Cantonese
German GCSE
Self-teaching Korean and Malay

So far, English and French!

I'm learning Spanish though, and as I'm so comfortable speaking French I find it really hard not to use French words in Spanish conversations, has anyone else had this!?!?

I find this sometimes! and the other way round :colondollar:

can't wait to go to uni and be fluent in both of them though :biggrin: I'd like to learn Italian beyond basic tourist level too :')
I'm fluent in Dutch, English, Persian and Pashto :biggrin:
Original post by DH-Biker
Fluent in English, Dutch and German. Trying to become fluent in Mandarin, Russian and French.

German and Dutch are quite similar, and being Dutch in blood, it wasn't hard to pick it up.

I found out I had a flare for languages, so I'm trying to learn as many as possible.

My Father is fluent in 9 languages, but being the head of Rotterdam Dock's Security Force, he has to speak most main languages. I think I get it from him.

I've lived for like 11 years in Rotterdam, quite close to the dock :biggrin:
Reply 26
Original post by Scarface-Don
I'm fluent in Dutch, English, Persian and Pashto :biggrin:

:eek: wow

may as well add another dozen
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
English- Fluent
French- Somewhat fluent. Studied it to university level- 2nd year atm. Going to spend the year in France next year so I'd kind of need to be fluent by then!!)
Spanish-less fluent, fewer years studying Spanish than French so it's my weaker language, but I can speak, read and write it pretty competently.
Ulster-Scots (some say it's an official language, some say it's more a dialect. So I'll let you decide for yourselves :h:)
(edited 12 years ago)
English
Arabic - Basic
Punjabi
Urdu
And French - Basic

XD

Want to learn Russian !
Reply 29

Hi 5 Afghan mate :biggrin:
Reply 30
Arabic & English (still have some probs with English that sounds fossilized at the moment and that is not good for someone who is being novice in interpreting)
I speak English and Dutch fluently, learning German, French and I want to learn Japanese :smile:
Reply 32
If you understand a language fluently but cannot have a proper conversation in it, is it still considered a language....
Reply 33
Fluent in English and did French to A-level
I can speak a bit of Italian and can count in German aha.
Going to try and learn some Spanish this year :smile:
Original post by thegodofgod
In order of proficiency:

English
Gujarati - mother tongue
Hindi - same(ish) as above
German - A2 level, hoping to continue to develop my German skills at university - not too sure how though :colondollar:
French - GCSE level - so at conversational level (with a 5 year old :tongue:) :colondollar:

This is 100% identical to me. Although, I've got a basic-ish grasp of Italian too :smile:

My username is very misleading, I know. I saw it on a car sticker once and thought it was funny.
English and Klingon.
Original post by withas
Spanish, English and Geordie (when drunk)

my geordie accent always comes out when i'm drunk!
Reply 37
English
Japanese
Sarcasm
Maths
Javascript
Reply 38
Persian and English.
Reply 39

Its lovely in Rotterdam. :yep: