The Student Room Group

AQA Maths Pure Core 1 MPC1 Jan 13th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Even the discrimant-an already hard task with simple numbers came out to be ridiculous-normally you just get a real simple equation,this time you got like 100x -9x + other terms which i can't remember

Tbh in the end I just gave up and just wrote the answer they'd already gave this was near the end to help jog your memories-if you do want such :P
Reply 41
Yeah I wanted polymers too!
I think the hardest question was the inequalities one thou. >.<
I am so upset about this paper, I feel like hitting something!!! >.<
Reply 42
Original post by Spectra1
I agree totally, I was also hoping for some polynomial division. The question on polynomials also took me a wile to figure out and had to come back to it.
I found with the integration questions I kept getting fractions and it just looked incorrect, however looking over my workings found no mistake unless I did something stupid. I got something like 1/6-1+5 or something along those lines, its probably wrong :mad:
This is the hardest MPC1 I've seen

Your numbers were very similar (if not the same) to what I got, and I gave up at about that point. In all honesty I think Integrations with fractions are a bit cruel to be giving to people on MPC1.

- Dan
Reply 43
Its so annoying because I know that I can do it then AQA goes and writes a paper like this. I dont even think i done the last inequalities question.
Straight away they left me pondering over fractions making me doubt myself.
What was the integration equation again? I got 6 anyhow
Yes the discriminant was really ridiculous, in the end i think i got
-96k^2 +56k + 96 =0
changed the signs, divided by 8 then got it
then the also ridiculous factorising which took me 5+ minutes to figure out it went from
12k^2 - 7k -12=0 to
(4k+3)(3k-4)=0
getting k as -3/4 and 4/3
Reply 46
Original post by Crazy_meerkat
What was the integration equation again? I got 6 anyhow

I think it was something around y=( x^5)-(3x^2)+(x^2) +5 (This the initial equation.)
Reply 47
Got the same values as well!
And for the polymers question I got c=-14 and d=37 I think.
What did you guys get for that one?
Reply 48
Original post by KING2011BOB
The inequalities question was so sneaky,but the key was to draw a picture of the situation-that seemed to help me anyways,the last bit I just realised that a - value of width is not possible and so hedged my bets on the x>8

Can anyone remember anything else which came up?

Do you mean x<8? Could have sworn the other x value was -12. :redface:

- Dan
Original post by Pomponz

Everyone finding it really difficult is probably a good thing as the grade boundaries for the raw mark to UMS mark coversion will be really low.
Reply 50
Original post by Pomponz

I believe I got that also. :smile: At first glance that question seemed nasty, though it was actually easy, despite the nasty numbers they gave us to work with!

- Dan
Reply 51
Really difficult paper compared to others, but I think I've done really well. Would've had a chance of 100% if it wasn't for messing up the last factorising question!

I got 5.5<x<8 for the width
11.5 for k
c=-14 and d=37 for polynomials

But yeah, really annoyed that in such a hard paper, the one thing that really threw me was factorising! :frown:
Original post by Pomponz

Yeahhh got the same answers! Thank God because I thought I must be the only one with these horrible horrible numbers!
Reply 53
Original post by DPowell
I believe I got that also. :smile: At first glance that question seemed nasty, though it was actually easy, despite the nasty numbers they gave us to work with!

- Dan

Yeah I didnt think it was one of the hardest either. What mark do you reckon you going to get?
What did people get for the surds question? I got 18, 30 and 3-root10 respectively
Reply 55
Yeah I know how you feel. I did the width one wrong as I only took acount of the number 6 and 7 and forgot to put in account the number 5.5 or even writing an inequality. That annoyed me so much :frown:
Reply 56
Original post by Pomponz
Yeah I didnt think it was one of the hardest either. What mark do you reckon you going to get?

In all honesty, I'm usually quite harsh on myself, though I can see it being a high C or a low B, just because the paper was such a spin on the usual. :s-smilie:

Yourself? :smile:

- Dan
Reply 57
Original post by AndyHoughton
What did people get for the surds question? I got 18, 30 and 3-root10 respectively

Yeah I got those values as well. :smile:
Original post by CalumE5
Really difficult paper compared to others, but I think I've done really well. Would've had a chance of 100% if it wasn't for messing up the last factorising question!

I got 5.5<x<8 for the width
11.5 for k
c=-14 and d=37 for polynomials

But yeah, really annoyed that in such a hard paper, the one thing that really threw me was factorising! :frown:

You still have a chance of getting 100 UMS as often you don't need 100% raw marks in order to get maximum UMS.
Reply 59
Original post by AndyHoughton

Think I got the same as you, was quite a nasty surds question in the end because of both root5 and root2 being in the division :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest