The Student Room Group

Getting up for 9am lectures

Scroll to see replies

I have one tomorrow. the trick is planning, consistency and self discipline. i'm setting myself a strict bedtime and i will stick to it. 4am
Original post by HarveyCanis
Yes. Thank God for Blackboard is all I can say. 9am is just torture to wake up for. I honestly cannot comprehend how I managed 7:30am wakeup calls for school.

LMAO SAME! i remember school days i could get up at 7 like it was nothing.

nowadays i cant get up for 12pm and rarely ever go lectures
Reply 102
8am start every weekday morning except Wednesday. If next year's 2nd year timetable is anything like the current, I'll be starting at 11/12 3 days of the week and off the rest :biggrin:. 22 hours a week is hard, and to think 36 and getting up at 7am every morning for school was bad. :s-smilie:
Bleeding mard arses...

9am. 1 or 2 hour lecture = get up, go to it and sleep after!

I have one today. Still wide awake! Today should be fun!

If you are struggling though, get into a morning routine as when you are up, you'll automatically do your routine. Mine is cigarette, coffee, shower IN THAT ORDER... Any other order leads me straight back to bed.
This is exactly why I've made a point of having my prescribed classes in the afternoon if possible.
I always remember, as a history student with my earlist lecture at 1pm in third year I'd be really excited and proud of myself for being up and ready to leave the house by 9am to go to the library, feeling like it was basically the break of dawn...only to leave the house and see the streets full and realise most of Britain considers 9am mid morning..
I set the alarm to give myself 1 hour to get ready, but then turn it off n keep telling myself only need 50 min-40-30-20 n then It's 5min left n bam I'm up n running.
Original post by Station
The thing I hate most about them is they basically mess my sleep schedule up even more. I end up getting about 2 hours sleep if I'm lucky simply because I can't fall asleep, so I manage to power through them then I'm presented with a choice. I either spend the rest of the day exhausted and too tired to do anything or I go to sleep which results in my sleeping pattern doing a complete 180.

This this this :argh:
It helps when your roommate is on the same course as you, and sits on you until you get up your bed
I only have one 9am lecture but have to get up at 7am because I commute. At least it's snowy tomorrow so the walk will be less boring :smile:
Original post by oh-my-diddy
for 9am lectures, i would need to get up at 5.45am.................................that's why i don't.

really?? how far away from uni do you live??
Reply 111
Original post by Station
Does anyone else struggle with this?

I find that unless I make it a life style choice to go to bed early all the time I am unable to fall asleep early enough on the night before my 9am lectures. I just end up lieing in bed for about 5 hours or so.

I often end up staying awake all night just to attend them at times, but this is pretty draining both physically and mentally so I end up missing quite a few of them.

I also was something like that during my first (out of 8) semester but I eventually I improved myslef....
Reply 112
9.15 on a tuesday is the bane of my life... especially as monday nights are one of the best night outs... I have a real problem with waking up. Luckily, my housemate does the same module as me and always drags me out of bed... i need about 12/13 hours to function properly...

I have also now been up for 37 hours so sleep isn't a good idea because I will physically not hear any alarm.

Edit: And Hull are horrible about attendance.
Reply 113
Original post by Samus2
9.15 on a tuesday is the bane of my life... especially as monday nights are one of the best night outs... I have a real problem with waking up. Luckily, my housemate does the same module as me and always drags me out of bed... i need about 12/13 hours to function properly...

I have also now been up for 37 hours so sleep isn't a good idea because I will physically not hear any alarm.

Edit: And Hull are horrible about attendance.

My record is 38 hours, you are about to break it
Reply 114
Original post by Spairos
My record is 38 hours, you are about to break it

I've done 45 before... I have a bad sleeping pattern.

Sleeping pills have no effect and I've managed to sleep for just over 18 hours before :/!
Reply 115
Original post by Samus2

Sleeping pills have no effect and I've managed to sleep for just over 18 hours before :/!

I understand, I also have a bad sleeping pattern too, my biggest disadvantage during uni...
Tho I still go to the lectures but If I haven't slelpt enough I feel broken.

You also broke my longest sleep record, which is 16 hours for me.:angry:
I'm not yet at uni yet but have definitely had many early starts... normally I have to get up at 6am but during swim season, I get up at 5am for swim practice before school :tongue:

For me, what definitely helps is going to bed earlier, and although this might be a big change, it helps SO much. Another thing I found helped on nights were I really couldn't fall asleep was taking a Melatonin pill. I don't really like taking pills but Melatonin is a hormone already in your body and so it is more natural than taking other sleeping pills and I never had any side effects from it. Another thing you could look at is doing something like listening to music to help you fall asleep?

Hope it gets better :s-smilie:
Reply 117
Indeed, 60 beats music can and will help
Original post by Samus2

How?

All I've ever managed is 42 hours without.
Original post by jsd26
I have an alarm on for 8.00, 8.05, 8.10, 8.15 etc until i wake up

LMAO! I do this!!! And still miss lectures. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest