The Student Room Group

Weird English Results March 8th

Did anyone else get odd English marks? some people that are very smart in English ended up with C's and D's whilst other people who are okay at English ended up with A's and A*'s. This isn't a complain/rage topic since my grade is exactly what I expected but it's a bit weird, so many teachers were shocked at the results as well.

By the way I'm talking about Edexcel Language and Literature.
Reply 1
Yes i was predicted an A but i actually got a U which is so weird considering i put so much effort into it , plus i got A's in all my other subjects !
Reply 2
I got a C but lets not get big headed here. The people who are ''okay'' and got A/A*s obviously revised hard and deserved it fair play to them.
Reply 3
I did the Edexcel English Literature and got a C. Could someone please explain how the UMS marks are calculated from raw scores? My mark was 72/120, but out of 100 it was apparently 53 :s-smilie: - when I worked the mark out of 100 myself, it came up to 60...so I'm slightly confused. How do they do it?
Reply 4
Yeah, I usually get at leasts Bs in my English exams but ended up with a D!
Don't get too stressed about it, the retake is in May.
Reply 5
Original post by Koolio
I got a C but lets not get big headed here. The people who are ''okay'' and got A/A*s obviously revised hard and deserved it fair play to them.

Yeah that's probably the rational explanation, but the people who got A/A* were getting B's before (since the result was only 40% of language and 50% of literature).
Reply 6
I got a C in the exam a D in the speaking and listening and a C in the controlled assessments.

does anyone know what my overall will be if the exam is 40% the speaking and listening is 20% and the controlled assessment is 40%?
If it seems too strange get a remark, I did in summer and it went up by 15 UMS!
Reply 8
Yes we did. No one is happy with the marks.
Reply 9
I did the English literature and though doing the lower paper I managed to get a c grade, 73 ums
:s-smilie:
Most people got a grade or two lower than they usually get in controlled assessments and stuff, but it's probably not down to bad marking and just the fact that the actual paper is a lot different to the controlled assessments because you can't really plan your answers. Maybe some people are just better at thinking on the spot.
Original post by `God
Did anyone else get odd English marks? some people that are very smart in English ended up with C's and D's whilst other people who are okay at English ended up with A's and A*'s. This isn't a complain/rage topic since my grade is exactly what I expected but it's a bit weird, so many teachers were shocked at the results as well.

By the way I'm talking about Edexcel Language and Literature.

Hi guys a similar thing happened in my school too, people who were expecting b's got a's and people expecting a's got b's.

Also I just wanted your guy's opinion on whether I should get my AQA ENGLANG 1H paper remarked because I got 93 UMS out of 120 and to get an "a" I need 96 UMS points. After working that out its 1.75 raw marks (rounded 2 marks) and tbh I thought I did pretty well. O'well. So please could you offer me some words of wisdom. ty
I thought this myself. In my English mock I got an A* along with all my homework test assessments etc were nothing below a high A. I revised REALLY hard for my exam making sure I got top marks every time. Surprisingly, I came out with a C today in the reading when people who about a month before would scrape a D came out with higher than me.. It was weird as I'd never gotten a C in English especially in an exam I felt I did well in.

I need to have a talk with my teacher for sure.
Reply 13
Yeahhhh I know right ! Some really dumb guy got an A* , whereas a really clever girl got an A . WTF? Our exam board is AQA btw. something is clearly wrong and dodgy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending