The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Remarqable M
what does that phrase mean in english? strangely i know what it means in japanese :lol:
Well, I guess that answers my question anyway, haha.

I suppose it would be, 'Are there any people who speak Japanese here?'
Reply 1861
Original post by IBzombie
I`ve studied in Kyushu ^^ which school are you applying to?

The ATW Program in the summer. =D Have you heard of it? I'm not sure I'll get in, chances are looking slim at the moment. Fingers crossed! Where did you study?

Caerthakathaさんよこうそ!日本語が話せるんだけど、このサイトで日本語入力できない。 :s-smilie:
Original post by fait
The ATW Program in the summer. =D Have you heard of it? I'm not sure I'll get in, chances are looking slim at the moment. Fingers crossed! Where did you study?

Caerthakathaさんよこうそ!日本語が話せるんだけど、このサイトで日本語入力できない。 :s-smilie:

Wow ^^ Unfortunately I haven`t heard of it :/
I studied at GenkiJACS in Fukuoka city :smile: I`m going back to Fukuoka this summer, probably not back to the school though.
Original post by fait

Caerthakathaさんよこうそ!日本語が話せるんだけど、このサイトで日本語入力できない。

そうね、たまの文字が折られているそうねぇ。フォーラムだけでそんな問題を見つけたのよ。
(ああ、私は文法が下手なんだわ。ごめんね!)

Wonder why it only happens on the occasional character, though. Seems odd that only some parts of a sentence will disappear in some contexts.

Thank you for the welcome!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1864
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about literature for Edexcel a level unit2. I know I have study a text of some kind but I will be very much grateful if anyone can tell me which texts to study for the exam board. Also if anyone need information for tourism in Aichi let me know, I live in Nagoya so will be happy to help!
Original post by LucyA
??????

Everybody loves Japanese :biggrin:

Please post if you:
-Speak Japanese
-Are Japanese
-Live in Japan
-Love Japan
-Love the culture of Japan
etc. etc!

Resources
The Japanese page - I found this very good for learning kana, it also has some grammar
Kanji dictionary - excellent
Japanese dictionary
LRNJ - small program/game for learning kana
The Kanji Site - a very good site for learning, well, kanji :smile:

To join, please check out this page

?????

I am Japanese
I speak Japanese
I lived in Japan
And yes, I LOVE Japan.

Hello :biggrin:
arg! Kanji is so frustrating:angry: but i like it:colondollar:
Original post by TsarinaMeg
I am Japanese
I speak Japanese
I lived in Japan
And yes, I LOVE Japan.

Hello :biggrin:

ようこそ:smile:

げんき です か。

わたし にほんご だいすき です。
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1868
皆さん、 元気

来年は、 私が 九州大学に 交換留学生 として 行く。
そのため、 日本語を 分かることが 易くなる ために ドラマを 見ようと 思ってる。
皆さん 一番好きな ドラマは でしょう か?
お願いします
ようこそ:smile:

げんき です か。

わたし にほんご だいすき です。

Heya :smile:

Gomen-ne~! My stupid laptop isn't configured to allow me to type in Japanese... Ro-maji demo ii kana? Nihongo wa dokode naratta no kana? Jibun de benkyou ****eruno?
Original post by TsarinaMeg
Heya :smile:

Gomen-ne~! My stupid laptop isn't configured to allow me to type in Japanese... Ro-maji demo ii kana? Nihongo wa dokode naratta no kana? Jibun de benkyou ****eruno?

Do you have skype?
Do you have skype?

Yes, I do. Why? :/
Also lol at TSR's automatic sensoring system :biggrin:
Can anyone give me a bit of insight into the use of the particle 'sa-'?

I hear it loads amongst students (male and female) dotted everywhere, especially 'datte sa' (or even just on it's own when they're thinking, before saying something).
I'm a bit apprehensive to use it myself though because I don't really know what kind of impression it gives off. Is it a bit boisterous like 'yo'?
Also I know about using 'sa' as a suffix to nominalise an i-adjective - it's not related to that right?
Reply 1873
Original post by screenager2004

I hear it loads amongst students (male and female) dotted everywhere, especially 'datte sa' (or even just on it's own when they're thinking, before saying something).
I'm a bit apprehensive to use it myself though because I don't really know what kind of impression it gives off. Is it a bit boisterous like 'yo'?
Also I know about using 'sa' as a suffix to nominalise an i-adjective - it's not related to that right?

It's not related to the suffix sa.

From what I gathered, it's just a syllable used when speaking colloquially, that could be similar to "you know", "look", "say" (I think I saw some people "translate" it with "like" too) and this kind of phrases that don't make sense per se but are just something you add to make the speech flow better.

It's more common among men than women, because it comes off as a bit, 'Well, obviously...' or 'It's natural that...'. It really strengthens a sentence, so it is a bit like 'yo'. Much in the way that 'boku' is a more childish and less masculine pronoun than 'ore', 'sa' is weaker than 'yo'.

You'd use it in a situation like, 'Oh, you won that match!' 'Of course I won that match; the other person had never played before.'

i think 'sa' is loosely close to 'dozo' but it is not a particle :smile: it is just something you add to spoken Japanese to make flow better :smile: It is mostly used by men as opposed to women:smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1876
Original post by IBzombie
Wow ^^ Unfortunately I haven`t heard of it :/
I studied at GenkiJACS in Fukuoka city :smile: I`m going back to Fukuoka this summer, probably not back to the school though.

It's a program run by Kyushu University for foriegn university students abroad. I actually got in with a scholarship, I still can't believe it. I'll be in Fukuoka this summer as well! =D

Original post by Caerthakatha
そうね、たまの文字が折られているそうねぇ。フォーラムだけでそんな問題を見つけたのよ。
(ああ、私は文法が下手なんだわ。ごめんね!)

Wonder why it only happens on the occasional character, though. Seems odd that only some parts of a sentence will disappear in some contexts.

Thank you for the welcome!

It been a known problem for ages, I thought they'd fix it by now but maybe it's super hard to fix? Sucks because there used to be some pretty good conversations in Japanese here. =/

Original post by Xurvi
皆さん、 元気

来年は、 私が 九州大学に 交換留学生 として 行く。
そのため、 日本語を 分かることが 易くなる ために ドラマを 見ようと 思ってる。
皆さん 一番好きな ドラマは でしょう か?
お願いします

おめでとう〜俺も 九州大学で留学する!い つ福岡に出発する?

ドラマよく見てないけ ど、日本人の知らない日本 語は面白いと思った。
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fait
It's a program run by Kyushu University for foriegn university students abroad. I actually got in with a scholarship, I still can't believe it. I'll be in Fukuoka this summer as well! =D

That`s amazing :biggrin: well done!. Fukuoka is such a great place ^^ so many lovely people and places.
Heya - I'm just a beginner enthusiast, when I was younger I read a series of books that featured Japan and got a little hooked from there. :biggrin: I've bought an app on my iPod in an attempt to pin down a little Japanese, so far it's a really nice language to play around with - looking forward to going further with it!
I've already created another thread for this, but I thought i'd ask here too.
This is a bit of a long shot but has anyone had an interview for the Toyota Trevelyan scholarship? or know anyone who has? I have an interview at the end of the month and I'm not sure what to expect. I'm really hoping it will not be conducted in Japanese...

Quick Reply

Latest