The Student Room Group

Functional skills

Today I had my functional skills test. I think it went quite well. I've been told by my maths teacher that on the day of our GCSE results, it won't be on there but we will be getting the results a lot earlier...and I find my maths GCSE results out on the first week back from Easter holidays: : think I've passed.

anyways my question is, is having a functional skills qualification essential like GCSE maths or is it an extra thing? And say if you hadn't done well in your functional skills but past GCSE maths history, would you not have a good chance of getting a job like somebody who did well in both?
Reply 1
No you don't need a functional skills qualification, in my school people do english, i.t and a maths functional skills exam and all of them together equals 1 GCSE (its for people who do college and are missing out on a GCSE). In sixth form if you fail to pass your maths and english because you can't do it, they will put you in for functional skills. I don't know if its the same for everyone, but thats what it is like in my school

EDIT: Also, it is either a fail or a pass, so you don't actually get a grade.. like I said though, i'm not sure if it's the same in every school
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kitty.Cat
No you don't need a functional skills qualification, in my school people do english, i.t and a maths functional skills exam and all of them together equals 1 GCSE (its for people who do college and are missing out on a GCSE). In sixth form if you fail to pass your maths and english because you can't do it, they will put you in for functional skills. I don't know if its the same for everyone, but thats what it is like in my school

EDIT: Also, it is either a fail or a pass, so you don't actually get a grade.. like I said though, i'm not sure if it's the same in every school

Yeah i remember doing a functional skills for English when I was in year 7 I think? Thanks for the info.
Reply 3
If you fail, you can retake the exam as many times as you like throughout your whole life, it's just one exam.

Quick Reply

Latest