The Student Room Group

Do I bluff or not about leaving sixth form? Help please!

I'm currently taking 5 subjects and in my first year of sixth form. I'm going to speak to our advisor and head of sixth form because I want to discuss dropping a subject now, so that I know I can at least scrape up 3 passes to return to sixth form next year if I wish... I want to drop maths because I'm given too much work, I'm falling behind dramatically in that subject and it is not giving me enough time to revise and do my coursework, which will mean I will fail everything, but maths.

However, speaking to one of the lads at work, He said I should ask to drop a subject and go down to 4 (like the rest of my year) and if they decline, then tell them I wish to drop out. He says My school should let me drop a subject because if I drop out then they loose out on money, I'm just frightened they would actually send me packing. I don't want to leave as I want to finish performing arts (which I will have done, providing I stay until the end of this year) and get my AS in psychology.

Should I bluff and say I will leave if I can't drop a subject, or just try begging. I know if I got one subject out of the way, I'd have enough time for revision, the homework I'm set, and time to do my coursework. However, at the moment, I'm set so much homework off this one teacher, I haven't even finish the stuff she set over the holidays.

Can someone help me please? Sorry this was really long!
Reply 1
I don't think the right approach would be to use some sort of blackmail to encourage them to let you drop one of your subjects. The decision should be based on the evidence you put forward for why you wish to drop a subject. I would say that Maths is a tremendous subject to have on your records, even just to AS level, but of course the decision as to which would benefit you most can only come down to you.

Also, ask yourself the question as to whether it really will benefit you? We are awfully close to exam season now and I'd hate to think that you dropping a subject would in fact not help at all, given the time remaining. Unfortunately, students do sometimes take on a little too much, but you must put this forward to your school if you think dropping one would really aid you in your studies for this final period before exams.

Go in to the meeting you organise with a calm manner and I'm sure they will do everything they can to support you.
Reply 2
Thanks, I'm actually doing maths, biology, chemistry and psychology as well as BTEC performing arts, and the performing arts is the only reason I stayed to do my a-levels there, I want to go into midwifery, but having recently failed biology, maths and chemistry in january, the odds on me passing all subjects look pretty low... I was unsure on saying I wish to drop out, thats why I started this thread, I know next year I'm going to college and enrol in a course and get a diploma in health and social care to get onto the right course at uni, but I really want to finish performing arts first, it's what I really love.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kirstyoneil
Thanks, I'm actually doing maths, biology, chemistry and psychology as well as BTEC performing arts, and the performing arts is the only reason I stayed to do my a-levels there, I want to go into midwifery, but having recently failed biology, maths and chemistry in january, the odds on me passing all subjects look pretty low... I was unsure on saying I wish to drop out, thats why I started this thread, I know next year I'm going to college and enrol in a course and get a diploma in health and social care to get onto the right course at uni, but I really want to finish performing arts first, it's what I really love.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:

Oh, well frankly that information changes things entirely. It seems as though you have a great plan in mind so well done! I do hope they let you finish your BTEC then - all the best!
Reply 4
Given that you failed your modules I am surprised that it is not they who are suggesting that you drop the extra course

Oh an NO to the bluffing
Reply 5
Go to your exams office and tell them that you can't handle the workload and would like to cancel your entries for Maths. They will ask you why, and you simply state the above and everything will be over.

It's fine, and they won't force you to take the subject if you can't handle it.
Reply 6
Original post by Kravez
Go to your exams office and tell them that you can't handle the workload and would like to cancel your entries for Maths. They will ask you why, and you simply state the above and everything will be over.

It's fine, and they won't force you to take the subject if you can't handle it.

Thanks, there is no exams office, so it's normally the head of sixth form who deals with these problems. I have previously asked, but I think he thought I was only doing the 4 subjects like the other students in my year, and told me I couldn't drop a subject until year 13. I'm going to ask again tomorrow, with no bluffing! :smile:
Reply 7
Should have maybe let you all know, as of wednesday last week, I am no longer an A-level maths student :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest