The Student Room Group

English Paper 1 (TZ2 - SL)

It's been well over 24 hours since I finished my exam -- so if I'm correct we are allowed to talk..

What did you guys do? I did the poem about "Dinner Party 1940" and could not find the damn thing anywhere after the exam!

I think I wrote it very well, with a clean structure and precise language, though I don't think my address of metaphorical issues was enough (though sufficient)

What did you guys talk about, etc.?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did the passage. Mine was okay except for my conclusion and the fact that after 45 minutes I had to use the toilet.
i did the prose too.. ghost story, weird but i think i did well, although i felt like i didn't refer to the themes enough. i talked about the guiding questions and added the structure, narration, and literary devices and their effects.
Reply 3
Original post by arra
It's been well over 24 hours since I finished my exam -- so if I'm correct we are allowed to talk..

What did you guys do? I did the poem about "Dinner Party 1940" and could not find the damn thing anywhere after the exam!

I think I wrote it very well, with a clean structure and precise language, though I don't think my address of metaphorical issues was enough (though sufficient)

yaaa i can find it,,,
its quite straightforward,, just correctly explain the repetition, persona's empathetic to life/others neglecting the news of loss of life, the last stanza,,

then you will get a 6 for sure.

the author did repeat things, quite important yea.
Original post by arra

Did the poem as well. It was fine, but I thought that it was actually tricky in some ways, in that it was very easy to understand but harder to structure a focused, tight response to. There was lots to write about, but I almost had to repeat myself quite a lot, because everything throughout the poem seemed to be illustrating and underlining the same points.

Lots of contrast and juxtaposition throughout though; e.g. food and death, indulgence and sacrifice...And lots to do with class.

I assumed it was set in England, but that might have been presumptuous. I did vaguely wonder what you would have written, had you not known that 1940 was the second year of WW2...It's not necessarily crucial for the commentary though.

Haha, the only thing I think I read into a leeetle bit much was the fact that 'cocktails' was written 'cock-tails'. I thought of the animal - like a cock fluffing up its tail in pride - and how that related to "show of wit". :biggrin:

What did everyone else think?
Reply 5
Oh is that what the cock-tails was about? I didn't even mention it =/ Total mind blank!! Instead I focused on the 'well-bred' description of the news reader, indicating that it was slightly animalistic, and could suggest that the news reader is 'well trained' in not reacting to the horrors of war which is actually a giant metaphor for the entire poem's message - that the poet is unhappy about people becoming immune to the death of war.

I apsolutely loved the poem, so much to write about and so many aspects :smile: I'm so thankful it was a good one! Some of my friends from higher didn't really like their poem - something about a giant silver worm?!
Reply 6
What did you guys say for the last three lines?

I said that it actually changes the meaning of the poem and acts as sort of a volte face because in the first two stanzas the persona has an almost condescension towards the indifference, but there is a greater understanding of that in the final three lines.
Reply 7
yeah ,,, persona accepts that sad news isn't good in mixing with delicious food in a dinner party, not the right time to hinder/affect the affect atmosphere of 7.30 cocktails.

yeah its in England i think, daventry is near northampton, but it doesn't reli matter to the meaning of the poem
not reli a war poem, but good giving out the setting,
Reply 8
That... sounds way smarter then anything I put xD I just said that it reinforces the message of the poem which has been hinted at in the other stanzas - and then just the huge contrast between the line about jelly and the bullet to the stomach really forces the reader to see the writers point of view. I basically just linked it back to the poem and the message of the writer, I didn't think about the concept of it changing the meaning of the poem.
Original post by xamiexpokex
Oh is that what the cock-tails was about? I didn't even mention it =/ Total mind blank!! Instead I focused on the 'well-bred' description of the news reader, indicating that it was slightly animalistic, and could suggest that the news reader is 'well trained' in not reacting to the horrors of war which is actually a giant metaphor for the entire poem's message - that the poet is unhappy about people becoming immune to the death of war.

I apsolutely loved the poem, so much to write about and so many aspects :smile: I'm so thankful it was a good one! Some of my friends from higher didn't really like their poem - something about a giant silver worm?!

Ooh, good thinking for 'well-bred'! I just said that the fact that they might pick up on 'well-bred' but not what he was actually saying reinforced how much emphasis these people put on class, birth place etc...

Haha, I heard it was about silk worms!

I thought that the last three lines just back up what had been done before really. "Mutton is delicious with whatever jelly" is presented like a fact, but sounds trivial next to the other facts (the deaths reported) in the poem. The 'seriously incommode' sounds like something one of the guests would say - all about how much it inconveniences these people, when others are dying etc. And the last line: the cold lead (i.e. bullets) in the belly once again provides the contrast of food and death, which is rather distasteful in the same sentence (as these people are).

I noticed that (obvs) the stanzas got smaller and smaller. I really wanted to comment on that, but all I could think of was that it was almost boiling the inane conversation and 'show of wit' down to the truth in the last three lines.

What did you guys think about "The well-bred voice from Daventry did not grow any less well-bred, and did not speak of more than three or four hundred deaths" ?
Reply 10
What did you guys think about "The well-bred voice from Daventry did not grow any less well-bred, and did not speak of more than three or four hundred deaths" ?
Implicit in the statement that they did not speak of more than three or four hundred deaths is that it's "only" three or four hundred. Furthermore, to be ambiguous between three and four means that the difference (100 lives) is of little salience to the audience.

On "well-bred" I made a comparison to a dog prepping for a show, or something.
Original post by arra
Implicit in the statement that they did not speak of more than three or four hundred deaths is that it's "only" three or four hundred. Furthermore, to be ambiguous between three and four means that the difference (100 lives) is of little salience to the audience.

On "well-bred" I made a comparison to a dog prepping for a show, or something.

Yeah, I put something along those lines for "three to four hundred deaths".

I was curious about "did not grow any less well-bred" though...
Reply 12
also the not silencing augmenting...the repetition of ing, shows that the dinner party was thriving with action and excitement contrary to what the feeling one would normally expect from hearing that there's been several deaths! Whereas death leaves a sad and gloomy feeling, these people seemed to be indifferent and uncaring towards it..I said the main theme was absurdity and the lack of concern of people towards others in a very difficult situation. I thought the last stanza pretty much brought it all together, the cold lead and the cold mutton, comparison of a bullet (symbolising death) to cold mutton (food possibly signifying a party or happiness) are two very contrasting elements and that reflected the idea of the whole poem!
Reply 13
Original post by beautiful-lion
Did the poem as well. It was fine, but I thought that it was actually tricky in some ways, in that it was very easy to understand but harder to structure a focused, tight response to. There was lots to write about, but I almost had to repeat myself quite a lot, because everything throughout the poem seemed to be illustrating and underlining the same points.

Lots of contrast and juxtaposition throughout though; e.g. food and death, indulgence and sacrifice...And lots to do with class.

I assumed it was set in England, but that might have been presumptuous. I did vaguely wonder what you would have written, had you not known that 1940 was the second year of WW2...It's not necessarily crucial for the commentary though.

Haha, the only thing I think I read into a leeetle bit much was the fact that 'cocktails' was written 'cock-tails'. I thought of the animal - like a cock fluffing up its tail in pride - and how that related to "show of wit". :biggrin:

Same here, repeating myself quite abit as well..but yeah you have to revolve around your central focus and theme and then everything all the devices and mood tone diction all revolve around that! I remember before our exams our teacher had told us not to write everything in parts but to link it all up together, so I guess there's nothing wrong with that :smile:!
Original post by MAMDS1993
Same here, repeating myself quite abit as well..but yeah you have to revolve around your central focus and theme and then everything all the devices and mood tone diction all revolve around that! I remember before our exams our teacher had told us not to write everything in parts but to link it all up together, so I guess there's nothing wrong with that :smile:!

I think the problem was that I tackled the poem in a linear way, not thematically (which would have involved SO much more planning).

The number of times I ended point with "...which further emphasises the attitude of the guests towards the news/the incongruity between the indulgence of the dinner party and the deaths occurring..."
Reply 15
yeah oh god, I dont know how many times i've used the author uses this to further portray this contrast, depict, convey blah blah! So you are not the only one don't worry :smile:! I had so much more to write but because of the thematic focus I used, I spent alot of time planning, so I couldn't quite cover some things, but I mentioned the important stuff, the symbolism, repetition, alliteration, structure, mood, differences in tone, diction, I also noticed the use of ... (three dots) where it showed the transition commented on it as well related it to the poet's way of differentiating two events that contrast one another greatly!
Original post by beautiful-lion

Wooow that is genius...
Reply 17
Three points I don't think I've seen mentioned:

I said that there was significance in the reporter being from Daventry: a familiar (to the guests), unassuming, "little-England" town. In contrast, Narvik is on the north Norwegian coast and the events unfolding there would feel distant and unthreatening to the guests, further adding to their apathy towards world events.

I also said that the cold meat on the table could be an allusion to the cold bodies on the battlefield, the link made by the repetition of "cold" for mutton and lead. This hints the poet is trying to convey that the guests should be concerned with the Second World War blah blah blah.

The structure and rhythm of the poem wildly contrasts between the first and third stanza of the poem: the first has a loose structure and rhythm (the lines beginning halfway across the page, etc.), easing the reader into a "false sense of security" and giving the poem a melodic tone, whilst the third has a more structured pattern, emphasising its grave tone.

And probably some other stuff. I loved the poem though, there's some stuff that it seems I missed out on, but I wrote 6 sides so I hope it's not deemed insufficient.
Original post by Harve
Three points I don't think I've seen mentioned:

I said that there was significance in the reporter being from Daventry: a familiar (to the guests), unassuming, "little-England" town. In contrast, Narvik is on the north Norwegian coast and the events unfolding there would feel distant and unthreatening to the guests, further adding to their apathy towards world events.

I also said that the cold meat on the table could be an allusion to the cold bodies on the battlefield, the link made by the repetition of "cold" for mutton and lead. This hints the poet is trying to convey that the guests should be concerned with the Second World War blah blah blah.

The structure and rhythm of the poem wildly contrasts between the first and third stanza of the poem: the first has a loose structure and rhythm (the lines beginning halfway across the page, etc.), easing the reader into a "false sense of security" and giving the poem a melodic tone, whilst the third has a more structured pattern, emphasising its grave tone.

And probably some other stuff. I loved the poem though, there's some stuff that it seems I missed out on, but I wrote 6 sides so I hope it's not deemed insufficient.

Oh yeah - I remember commenting on the fact that it was 'Stockholm' and 'Narvik', implying that foreign death were less important to the people - they were less connected. Maybe deaths closer to home/affecting them would have had a different impact?

And I also saw a link between 'cold' meat and the cold bodies on the battlefield.

Nice comments on the structure! I only really picked up on the rhyme of 'fled' and 'dead' - it makes the newsreader sound almost poetical, implying that the deaths are either dumbed down or desensitised for the general public, or perhaps showing how the guests are hearing the newsreader; as saying something poetical or artificial, i.e. not real. I didn't explain that very well. Indicative of my whole commentary really!

There is really very little online about the poem! I guess they had to choose a relatively unknown one!
Reply 19
Although, I think on some level the final stanza was the least caustic of them all. In the first two there is a patronization of these bourgeois having a "show of wit" and playing "bridge" whilst in the ethereal presence of war through BBC. The final, albeit more solemn, admits that to ignore such things is a necessity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending