The Student Room Group

The (un)Official Thread for Access to HE 2011!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1440
Original post by jami74
Our days are getting shorter too, this is supposed to be our last teaching week. It is exciting putting all our work together but a bit strange when our teachers end the lesson with "It's been nice teaching you, good luck in the exams"

Am I the only one sitting up all night finishing assignments and revising? I'm feeling a bit lonely here.

I am right there with you, 2am is an early night for me at moment
Reply 1441
Original post by Soule
I am right there with you, 2am is an early night for me at moment

Original post by jami74
Our days are getting shorter too, this is supposed to be our last teaching week. It is exciting putting all our work together but a bit strange when our teachers end the lesson with "It's been nice teaching you, good luck in the exams"

Am I the only one sitting up all night finishing assignments and revising? I'm feeling a bit lonely here.

same, in the past two days alone i have completed like 3 or 4 various assignments, i seem to have let myself lag behind a little but only with level two and study skills and the like, not the big stuff! i physically cannot WAIT to finnish the damn course!
I just started a science assignment after many weeks being ill with my back condition.I have a few more assignments to do before i finish my Access diploma course .The last time i checked i had just over 18 credits at level 3 at Distinction grade and a few at Merit grade.
I have also decided to take a break every so often due to my back condition during writting the assignments up.
Two Chem classes left! (I go to college one evening a week) No exams :-) downside is, I'm back at work soon after having 7 months off maternity leave. Mortified.com.
Reply 1444
Wizardtop, you're back!

Another subject folder emptied and put away. I looked at stationary on the way home and then realised that there was no point, I do not need to buy anything for college as it is all but over. Teaching has officially finished although we have a couple of revision lessons left.

Exams next week and I have so much to revise. I can't wait to sleep.

Rinnie this thread has been going for nearly a year!
Original post by jami74
Wizardtop, you're back!

Another subject folder emptied and put away. I looked at stationary on the way home and then realised that there was no point, I do not need to buy anything for college as it is all but over. Teaching has officially finished although we have a couple of revision lessons left.

yes i am back jami74 :smile:.I am glad that everything has gone well for you this year.I have another few weeks before my Access Journey ends.I cant believe Jami74 how many assignments i have done and only have a few more to do.Good luck in the forthcoming exams Jami74 sure u will do well ^_^
Reply 1446
Original post by jami74
Wizardtop, you're back!

You're right it has been around a year! can you believe that! this thread hasn't half helped me so i'm glad i started it! :biggrin: I got my Student finance letter today to say what theyre going to lend me, 9000 for fees and 3500 for maintenance loan, gutted i can't get the grant :frown:
Original post by RinniieX
You're right it has been around a year! can you believe that! this thread hasn't half helped me so i'm glad i started it! :biggrin: I got my Student finance letter today to say what theyre going to lend me, 9000 for fees and 3500 for maintenance loan, gutted i can't get the grant :frown:

its a real shame RinniieX that you cant get additional Funding whilst you attend University ^_^ at least u get your fees paid and some money towards living costs and wow this thread has been going that long,how time flies.:smile:
Reply 1448
Original post by wizardtop
its a real shame RinniieX that you cant get additional Funding whilst you attend University ^_^ at least u get your fees paid and some money towards living costs and wow this thread has been going that long,how time flies.:smile:

Time does fly! so i hope this last two weeks FLYS haha

Did you apply for a grant ?

The process is quite archane. They will write to you saying you are getting x, even though they are waiting upon evidence. Rather than stating you are getting Y and this is subject to the evidence being received.

It definately pays to go as a couple and make sure you have a couple of kids still at home too. For a start if you are both students the financial assessment is irrelevent as you are both classed as having zero income as you will both be students.
Reply 1450
Original post by evening sunrise
Did you apply for a grant ?

The process is quite archane. They will write to you saying you are getting x, even though they are waiting upon evidence. Rather than stating you are getting Y and this is subject to the evidence being received.

It definately pays to go as a couple and make sure you have a couple of kids still at home too. For a start if you are both students the financial assessment is irrelevent as you are both classed as having zero income as you will both be students.

no i didnt apply for a grant i am not eligable, i live with my parents not my bf and if i go means tested with them earning over 60k i cant get a grant, no my parents cant help me out before you ask i live independently im just not entiteld to bugger all! never am! :frown:
no i didnt apply for a grant i am not eligable, i live with my parents not my bf and if i go means tested with them earning over 60k i cant get a grant, no my parents cant help me out before you ask i live independently im just not entiteld to bugger all! never am! :frown:

Ouch. My son got the absolute minimum loan, but he was 18 at the time.

Between 21 and 25 is a bit of a financial trap, unless you can prove you are financially independent. Over 25 and it does not matter.

Not sure if you actually have to live away from home, or only show your income level and that your paying your parents the market rate for your board. Very grey area though. Will you be commuting each day ? I don't think a student is viable in halls on a minimum loan without some parental contribution, based upon my how it was for my son.
Reply 1452
Original post by evening sunrise
Ouch. My son got the absolute minimum loan, but he was 18 at the time.

Between 21 and 25 is a bit of a financial trap, unless you can prove you are financially independent. Over 25 and it does not matter.

Not sure if you actually have to live away from home, or only show your income level and that your paying your parents the market rate for your board. Very grey area though. Will you be commuting each day ? I don't think a student is viable in halls on a minimum loan without some parental contribution, based upon my how it was for my son.

chances are im living at home for the next three years with my parents, meaning i am going to be a minimum of 26 by the time i leave makes me miserable! i hate living here! grarr! student accommodation for one year equals to about 5000, i only get 3500 :frown:
chances are im living at home for the next three years with my parents, meaning i am going to be a minimum of 26 by the time i leave makes me miserable! i hate living here! grarr! student accommodation for one year equals to about 5000, i only get 3500 :frown:

Yes I understand. My son got 3250 (it was 5 years ago) and his halls alone were 4300 if memory serves, and that was the cheapest of the three options, self catered. So we had to send him enough to make up the balance, plus live. He did eventually manage to get a job (there were not many about even though he had a fair bit of experience at wetherspoons here at home.) in his third year.

The reason I did not take up my place in 1981 was that after paying for my halls in London (my place was at QMUL) I had 120 quid left for the whole year, and there were no jobs. My parents could not contribute what the government said they could.

Anyway good luck because these three years are your way out longer term.

P.S. You might be able to consider living out in years 2 and 3 as the costs of sharing are much lower and you might find a job during the first year.
Reply 1454
6 lessons left. counting down the days! exam on monday! gah! anyone else have their english exam monday?
Reply 1455
6 lessons left. counting down the days! exam on monday! gah! anyone else have their english exam monday?

Only 4 more trips to college required for me (2 exam days, portfolio day and bye-bye/results day).

I'm not doing English but I have Maths next week. What do you do in an English exam?
Ugh cannot wait to finish this course. Counting down the days till freedom, but still got 30 Distinctions and 6 Merits so far, and got 21 credits yet to recieve, which are looking to all be distinctions :biggrin:

How's everyone elses feelings towards finishing the course?
Reply 1457
All My level 3 lessons are finished now, I have a bulk of assignments coming back on Monday, including exam results for psychology. I am expecting distinctions on them (fingers crossed) and that officially gives me my credits for the Access course. Still have a couple of level 3 assignments to complete, a level 3 history exam and the final maths exam to go. Everything is winding down though. Just got 2 more study skills to complete. My official finish date is 18th June, and I am a little sad to be coming to the end.
Reply 1458
Original post by jami74
Only 4 more trips to college required for me (2 exam days, portfolio day and bye-bye/results day).

I'm not doing English but I have Maths next week. What do you do in an English exam?

poetry exam, god knows why we have to do it but we do! haha
Reply 1459
Original post by Illuminated_A
Ugh cannot wait to finish this course. Counting down the days till freedom, but still got 30 Distinctions and 6 Merits so far, and got 21 credits yet to recieve, which are looking to all be distinctions :biggrin:

How's everyone elses feelings towards finishing the course?

feeling same as you! can not wait for it to be finnished! the sooner the bleedin better i say! its killing me slowly! haha

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending